PDA

View Full Version : Any truck drivers out there?

torque
07-01-2011, 07:26 AM
Ok, I fell off the face of the earth for a while and I have been doing some thinking...

I was wondering if anyone on here is a truck driver?

I have a job now that is close to home, regular hours and pay benefits (so so at best) and I just simply do not like it... I have been thinking about getting a CDL and going on the road and I wanted to hear some opinions.

I know there are truck specific sites and all, but I thought fellow jeepers would be a good place to get insight as well.

OrangeXJ
07-01-2011, 08:34 AM
I did both local and long haul. I owned my own truck that was a good thing until it broke. It's an interesting job. I looked at like I'm getting paid to go to diffrent parts of the country that I more than likely would never have seen. Down side with long haul is the amount of time away from home. Driving local your home every day but have to put up with city traffic. ( in Houston it sucked)

TruckCentral
07-01-2011, 10:05 AM
I too did both local and long haul. I also owned my own. I am now a local company driver. It has taken me 17yrs to find a decent company with good benifits. Its not impossible to do you just have to keep your record clean. Only you can answer if your ready to be away from family and friends being otr. If you are married it IS very taxing on a relationship. Now local has the advantage of being home but pay isn't always that great. You need to concider however the cost of living on the road when you look into otr work.that is what most newbies down fall is.the economy isn't the greatest right now and the environment isn't. The greatest for truckers but I manage to eek out a living. A LOT of new rules and regulations to take into concideration. Do-able? Yes.. Advisable- sure. But most of this is just the tip of the iceburg. If you have never done it.. plan on sticking it out with your first company for atleast 2 yrs.. a lot of guys job hop and it looks real bad.and KEEP your record clean.

torque
07-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Right now i was loking at going to Prime, you spend about a week there getting your permit, you spend 100 hours on the road with a driver and then you test for your CDL-A. after that you go OTR for 60,000 miles and then you get a truck. you spend one year there and your CDL only cost your time. months and it was 1750, less than 6 and it cost you 3500 interest free. you make no money until you have your CDL so the 100 hours in the truck is at your expense. about two weeks w/out pay, they will front $200 a week for expenses and cost of living that you pay back if you so desire to borrow it.

the thing is I am pretty much married to the truck for at least one year, and if the dispatcher gets that he can pretty well screw with me however he wants in that time, knowing that quiting will cost me $3500. Short runs, no miles or long pick up and delivery times etc. I don't want to get poor, I want to keep or exceed my current level of income and like my job while doing it.

Thanks for the responses guys. if you know anything about home time during the training or anything like that let me know. I know more than the average 4 wheeler but not enough to make a truly educated decision by myself.

OrangeXJ
07-01-2011, 12:16 PM
That does not sound like a good deal. Check with JB Hunt or Snider (sp)

Paddletrucker
07-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Oh, gawd, this will be long winded.:out::pray::sign0181::banghead: :D:D:D

I'll help you any way I can. I've got a little less than 2 million miles without any kind of accident or ticket/fine.

I'm 35 and I've driven a truck since I was 16. Yup 16. Here, you can do that if it's for farm use. I got my in-state CDL when I was 18 and, of course, upgraded when I turned 21. I now own my own tractor, which is leased to a major package delivery company. I've pretty much done every kind of trucking, with the exception of the 10 car haulers. Long haul, short haul. On and off road. It's in my family. May Dad's a trucker, his Dad was, and my Great Grand father started hauling freight and grain in a wagon with a team of mules in 1910. We're sorta a trucking family.

Here's a few things I would NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER do!!! DO NOT let anyone talk you into a lease/purchase deal on a truck. I've watched countless hundreds of experienced drivers FAIL. You'll have NO CHANCE trying to learn to drive a truck, while learning to own a truck at the same time, all the while the company will be HOSING you on loads. Lease purchases are designed to set you up for failure. It's about letting you buy a truck for the company and when you fail, they'll take the truck and do it to someone else. Buy the time they've leased that truck to three or four guys, it will have been paid for and then some. They will have gotten all their freight moved at your expense in a truck you paid for. It's a bad, bad, BAD deal. I've RARELY seen a lease/purchase work. Well, except that it works outstandingly well for the company leasing you the truck. IN the business, it's known as a "fleece" purchase. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, NEVER owe money on a truck to the same people who have control of what you'll be hauling. It's a recipe for your demise.

I would also NOT do any deal where they "pay" for your training and then you agree to stay on until that training is paid for. You'll get hosed more times than not. They'll run you to death on cheap loads and try to run you off. Then, you get to pay them three times what you could have went to a trucking school for. They tell you $3500? They've already lied to you. Most guys end up with a 5 to 7 thousand dollar debt by the time all the interest and other "accessorial" costs are figured in. It's a great way for the company to make money off of YOU!

Don't go to ANY company that claims to train you as part of a team operation. THAT'S A SCAM!!! You're not going to learn anything about driving at all with your trainer (who's likely only got less than a year or two of experience) ASLEEP behind you. Your trainer should be AWAKE and in the passenger seat ANY time you're behind the wheel. Your trainer should have over a million miles, not a newbie himself!!

Trucking has been very good to me. BUT, I've had lots of grey haired men around me my whole life who's been there and done that who've kept my dumb a$$ from stepping into a lot of snake filled holes. Regardless of what anyone tells you, damn few in this business are here for you. They'll make you think they are, and you'll end up with a sore backside,, thousands in debt. This is a job. Classified as unskilled labor. You won't get rich, but you can sure lose. You can make a really good living and do well. You can be your own boss, call your own shots, and not answer to anyone but customers. That's my favorite part. BUT it can break you. In 2008, I spent about 72,000 on fuel (I'm on track to come close to that this year, too), around 25,000 in maintenance and repairs, and about thirty thousand in taxes, fees, and permits. ALL of that had to be paid before THE FIRST penny went into my pocket. I don't drive a shiny, long hood, chromed out Peterbilt or Kenworth. I have an old 1996 Freighliner with 1.7 million miles on it because I got it cheap, it's really reliable, and it gets good mileage. 7mpg is good mileage, when you're talking trucks.

MOst companies will actually brag about paying good at a little over a dollar a mile. That doesn't even cover my operating expense on a paid for, fuel efficient tractor. I would not even think about owning a truck until you've been at it 5 to 7 years. You'll be amazed at what you'll learn in that time.

I'd check into local trucking training programs at community colleges. There's a TON of info if you'll get in touch with the Owner/Operators and Independent Driver's Association, OOIDA.com. It's not just for owner operators. GIve them a call, tell whoever answers the phone you're interested in driving and they'll put you in touch with someone who KNOWS the industry.

You can also find a mentor who owns trucks to teach you to drive and help you pass the CDL test. Getting your CDL is simply a license to LEARN TO CONTINUE LEARNING about driving a truck.

DOn't count out local jobs with LTL (Less than Load) companies. Con-Way Freight, Estes, FedEx Freight, Old dominion, etc. Equipment is often no frills, but hte pay is good, benefits are good, you'll have a retirement, and you won't have to live in a truck. You'll get tired of that in a hurry. Trust me.

You can email me at [email protected] and I'll do my best to tell you anything I can. I'm not trying to scare you away from this industry, but be realistic about it. It's not a safe haven from the poor economy. Recruiters from the big companies lie more than politicians and seedy used car salesmen. You ever notice how many people you talk to used to drive trucks??? How many people do you know that currently drive trucks?:wink: There's a reason. It can be a great career. It can be a good job to get you by. It can be fun. I have a blast! It can make you a good living. It can also chew you up. It can put you THOUSANDS in debt and destroy your family.

Oh, family. If your married or have kids, they need to be TOTALLY on board with you on this. Hours are odd and long. It can be a real strain on a marriage and a parental relationship. MOst grey haired truckers have more than one ex-wife and there's a reason. It's tough on relationships.

Again, not trying to scare you off. I love what I do. Just don't let anyone fleece you. There are a LOT of folks in this business that would as soon put you in the poor house as look at you. You HAVE to be careful.

Good luck! Let me know if I can help. I certainly will try.

Paddletrucker
07-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Right now i was loking at going to Prime, you spend about a week there getting your permit, you spend 100 hours on the road with a driver and then you test for your CDL-A. after that you go OTR for 60,000 miles and then you get a truck. you spend one year there and your CDL only cost your time. months and it was 1750, less than 6 and it cost you 3500 interest free. you make no money until you have your CDL so the 100 hours in the truck is at your expense. about two weeks w/out pay, they will front $200 a week for expenses and cost of living that you pay back if you so desire to borrow it.

I just read this again. This has more red flags in it for me than a Russian flag factory. BE VERY careful. There's no need to work for free. They'll front you 200 bucks? They sure will. Every week. Soon, you'll be paying them to drive, literally. RUN, don't walk from this deal.

TruckCentral
07-02-2011, 02:07 AM
I think Paddle has pretty much summed it up.. I have been fortunate and made a living local. (only after putting in otr time) He is spot on in reguards to the fleece purchase deal.. I do drive a NO frills truck but i am in a situation that the benifits out weight that. To survive this industry you must keep an open mind and NOT get caught up in the "This driver said I can make this much over here" crap.. do your research now.. have a game plan.. ask questions.. DONT ask the ex truck driver that used to work for the company.. he left for some reason.. either he thought he would make better money elsewhere or got fired.. either way he WONT be a reasonable source.. HE will stretch the truth.. look for some one who has been there a while.. I worked for JB Hunt intermodel..(yeah I can hear it now..) but they (intermodel NOT the over the road division) were probably one of the best companies I drove for. Pay was good. Benifits were good.. And I happen to live in a very active area for JB Hunt Intermodel.. When I hired on my trainer there(I had experience but any good company will still send you with a trainer to see how you do and to help you figure out their way of business)He had over 20yrs with the company.. I then meet several others there with nearly 20 yrs with JB.. there is a good bench mark.. they will tell you how it is and what to expect.. good or bad.. but realise with 20yrs there is a reason they put up with it soo long.. Search out these kind of drivers.. with facebook and the internet in general there are many ways to locate them.. anyway.. good luck brother.. Oh one more bit to look at.. look at your area.. if you go local.. is the particular job you get seasonal? can you survive the slow times? i.e. construction.. winter time in NY is different then winter in CA.. brother i hope I havent overwhelmed you too much.. With 17yrs experience myself.. I can say Paddle is spot on. so with that.. Good Luck..

imehtoh
07-02-2011, 08:21 AM
I worked in wearhousing for 30 yrs.Always wanted to get a CDL :bang:and drive,finally at the age of 47 i got it , i am 55 now and have been driving rigs ever sence:driving:.Do it while u r young :rolleye0012:.Wish i had when i 1st started working in 1974:poke:.I have never regreted it, enjoying the road.:D

XJ4IV
07-03-2011, 11:38 AM
I used to do local and "short" long haul across the state spend a night away then come back deals and I liked it , I worked for a company that was struggling so get a decent truck was difficult whic is understandable seeing as how the trucks we used were around 70-100k USED... Iworked for a great guy and really enjoyed my team and would go back in a heartbeat if they were able to set me up where I now live...
BTW to obtain a CDL... you dont NEED training... the ONLY requirements is that you take a driving test and a written test. I didnt go through a SINGLE formal training class and I took the test in California and passed the first try

Joliet Johnny
07-04-2011, 04:48 PM
I drive a spotter in a railyard does that count? I dont have the CDL though.

torque
07-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Well I gave it some careful thought, and Prime sounded like a deal at first but the more I thought about it, leaving my current job (safe and predictable money) with nothing but a duffel bag and a bus ticket for the midwest in hand to make no money for 6 weeks started to seem like a bad idea. LOL.

I live in south central PA, Not too terribly far from breezewood (truckers will know this town is nothing but a large truck stop) and not too far from Carlisle.

Schnieder has a terminal in Carlisle and I was thinking of looking at them and calling tomorrow. Conway has a outfit not to far from me too, the thing is you get 8 hours a day at 12$ an hour for lumping freight and then four hours of training every day for driving.
I have heard bad things about every company except for Prime, TMC, and Schnieder. TMC requires that you have 140 hours of training before they will look at you, but they also have a flatbed division that is home weekly 46/52 weekends.
I have to call the community college here because I was looking on the website and they have CDL training but it is like $5000 for the full class... 300 hours of training.

I could probably get my CDL without 300 hours of training, I am a fairly intelligent person, but the question remains, do I have to provide a truck for a driving test? or is it all in a book and on a computer screen?

I don't mind going OTR right now, in fact I find that pretty adventurous. In a couple of years when my GF has finished her MA or PHD I would like to be home at least every weekend.

The thing with the small local outfits is that there isn't an abundance of information floating the web about them, and I am not very in touch with the town I live in. I am a pretty quiet keep to myself kind of guy.

I know now though that there are a few things I don't want to do... I have no interest in lumping freight, no interest in slip seat operations and no interest in owning or leasing, I may look into O/O when I have some experience like you said but that is down the road.

LizardRunner
07-05-2011, 09:17 AM
good call torque, now you are thinking:thumbsup:

one of the best places I've found for finding out about trucking is truckstops. I listen a lot and it's amazing the things you hear about this company or that one. The other place I've gotten good info is at rest areas. We have some great info given here by guys that are in that business, I'd ask them any questions, cause they have already offered up their help and I believe what they've already said about the road life.

Wolf and I have thought about going trucking as a team, but we now have 2 dogs so we have discontinued that idea. I have a friend here at work who's husband is a trucker who does LH, they went into it knowing about the long times apart and so it works for them very well.

Paddletrucker
07-05-2011, 10:13 AM
You guys will have to bear with me, as I have yet to figure out the Mulit-Quote, in spite of me being on several different froums for different things.

Conway has a outfit not to far from me too, the thing is you get 8 hours a day at 12$ an hour for lumping freight and then four hours of training every day for driving.
I have heard bad things about every company except for Prime, TMC, and Schnieder. TMC requires that you have 140 hours of training before they will look at you, but they also have a flatbed division that is home weekly 46/52 weekends.

I'm glad you're looking around. You wanna hear some bad things about TMC? :D:wink: They're known for couple of things. 1)Driving really nice trucks. 2)Pushing a lease/purchase program. They're not know for high pay. One other thing to watch out for when a recruiter tells you that you'll be home on weekends is that he doesn't mean you're gonna roll in on Friday night and pull out on Monday morning. It might mean you take 34 hours (the required time to reset your hours for the week), and it could mean that they run you by the house for your federally mandated 10 hour daily break on a Saturday night. I have a neighbor right now that's spent the last three months away from home, in spite of being promised more than 35 weekends a year at home. When he does come home, it's short lived.

If the Con-Way company you're looking at is Con-Way Freight that pulls doubles, I'd be giving that a closer look. You might have to deliver freight around town, and that can be hot, tiring work, but it'd get you home every day.

Of all the mega-companies, I've actually heard that Schnieder has gotten a lot better.

You even notice how many companies are always advertising for drivers? There's a reason. Many bigger companies have over 100% turn over. I don't know what the current economic situation is for hiring, but keep in mind that you'll see a lot of companies on the road that isn't begging people to come and work for them. If you can, try to start with these companies. I think a fair going rate for line haul drivers is close to .50/mile in your area. I think that's what companies like Estes and Con-Way pay. You're NOT going to make that on the road, unless you're with a company that does really specialized hauling.

Paddletrucker
07-05-2011, 10:29 AM
I could probably get my CDL without 300 hours of training, I am a fairly intelligent person, but the question remains, do I have to provide a truck for a driving test? or is it all in a book and on a computer screen?

Most places have trucks and trailers you can rent. It's a doable deal, but I'd find a local guy who can kind of run over the driving portion of the test with you. You don't want to rent a truck and then fail that portion of the test. IT's not hard, you just need to be familiar with the truck.

They're going to want you to perform a pre-trip inspection and point out certain things on the rig. There are a few things, like the air brake test, that's an automatic failure for not doing. You just want to make sure you're familiar. Most guys have no problem with it, once they're familiar with what htey need to make sure and do.

THe driving part isn't too hard, in my opinion, but I was backing trailer and driving these things on the farm when I was barely in my teens. I felt really confident in the size of the tractor trailer at the test. Most guys take the test in a single axle tractor with a 28' trailer. I took mine in a long hood and really long wheel base Kenworth with a huge sleeper and 5 x 4 twin gear shift transmission and a 50 foot cattle trailer that belonged to my uncle. LOL Freaking Red Necks is what we were. (are?) :p But, I had been driving it for the previous two years for farm use and was comfy and familiar with it. I don't think the examiner was all that impressed with the naked women on the calender my uncle had permanently affixed to his dash, but he passed me any way. :D:rolleyes:

They're pretty understanding that you're not going to be handling the thing like a seasoned pro, but as long as you show that you do have the aptitude to drive the truck, you'll be fine. Don't change gears in and intersection or turn, pay attention to overhead obstacles because he probably will ask you "what that bridge height was back there" and general stuff like that.

The written portion of test will most likely be taken on a computer and is easily passed if you read and study the book. Every state is different, though. I think you'll be just fine on the written test. I know more people who've aced than have failed it.

Mudderoy
07-05-2011, 11:48 AM
multi-quote is a little confusing...

Click the multi-quote button on all the posts, then on the LAST post you want to comment on hit quote. All the multi-quotes will be there along with the last message you are quoting.

torque
07-06-2011, 10:37 PM
I am continuing to look for/at companies...

I feel like the more research I do the more narrow my search becomes... Prime and TMC were recommended but neither driver had driven with them in a while.

I also don't want to rule out the smaller outfits and only drive for a super company but the amount of information available on the web for smaller outfits isn't there.

all I want is a company that recognizes what the driver does. As far as home time goes 60 hours or more every three weeks or 48 every two would be fine weekends are nice but I can spend time with my GF on a monday just as well as a saturday. If I could bank the home time that would be the bees knees! I don't care if I go to california or maine or anywhere in between.
A truck with an APU or without a company breathing down my back about idling (trying to sleep in a sweltering cab in august without any AC is nuts... and the way some truck stops are I am not leaving a window down. If I could take my dog with me that is a plus. Rider program would be cool too.

I get it if the truck breaks or the shipper messes up or w/e things happen and you deal... now if I have an idiot for a dispatcher that consistently screws me then I could become real unhappy really quick.

Heck, I have heard of guys who drive and their wives are at home contacting brokers and arranging loads and being the dispatcher... if there was a guy doing that and wanted to expand and get a second tractor putting money in his pocket I would drive for that family just as quick as a company... cost me an extra 75 dollars a year at tax time but the possible benefits could far outweigh that. That is more or less just a day dream though...

Do any of you guys run flat beds? I am fascinated with them for some reason I just like them more than regular trailers and reefers.

Paddletrucker
07-09-2011, 03:10 PM
I think you're getting a pretty good handle on it. Keep doing research and looking around.

Smaller companies can be good, but make sure you're always running legal with them. There are new rules in the trucking industry and a driver with a good record is going to be working at a premium in the future. I'm referring to the new CSA rules. http://csa.fmcsa.dot.gov/default.aspx All carriers and drivers are being assessed point for violations on the road. Drivers with too many points will eventually not be insurable, and carriers with too many points can be shut down if issues are not addressed. You can use the link to check on carriers you're looking at. Go to SMS Results and type in their MC # or name. You can see what violations they've had and any issues that might make you think twice before signing on with them. MC#'s and DOT#'s are usually pretty easy to find by searching the company name on the internet. You're going to DEFINITELY keep a clean record from now on in this business. The outlaw trucking days are long since over and the government isn't playing around any more with folks who violate regs. Used to be pay a little fine and go on down the road. A cost of doing business. Not any more. If you're not a driver with a good record, you'll starve.....IF you are able to get hired.

Flatbeddin'??? Well, If you find flats interesting, you might check out step decks. IMHO, that's really interesting. Steps get all kinds of cool stuff, and you're gonna tarp a whole lot less. Generally, step deck freight is a little more specialized, LTL loads are a little easier to put together, and the pay is usually better. My favorite two things to do with a truck is step decks and 6/7 car high mount fifth wheel car haulers.

Good luck!