PDA

View Full Version : Help me build my rig!! :)

OhJeepers
06-26-2011, 09:28 PM
So I'm building a 1990 xj 4dr. As of right now it is all stock, except for a snorkel an a glass pack I just put on today. I have a chrysler 8.5 axle I'm going to have a buddy weld for the back, an a dana 35 in the front with an aussie locker for the front that will be installed, I'm going with a 6.5in long arm lift, I'm going to trim the wells an put 35's under it, an do some motor work. What else can I do to make this thing a beast? Please help!!

alwaysxj
06-26-2011, 09:37 PM
first off I think we could better answer the question if you could let us know what type of wheeling/driving will the jeep see? mud since you are in FL, DD week end wheeler?
Also you have a Dana 30 front, A Dana 35 is a rear axle.:bang:

4.3LXJ
06-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Also a question that needs answering is how many splines on that rear axle?

JENSSEN
06-26-2011, 11:06 PM
full size axles and cromie's,.. or at least cromie's

alwaysxj
06-26-2011, 11:39 PM
full size axles and cromie's,.. or at least cromie's

Yes i second that. even though I am still waiting for mine. :smiley-laughing021: that way I can stop being such a pussy....

bluedragon436
06-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Would def. pick up a SYE w/DS to install when you do the 6.5" LA lift, so you won't have any vibe issues.. Running 35's, I would def. look into regearing, probably 4.56'ish (someone can correct me if I'm worng on that ratio).

LizardRunner
06-27-2011, 08:18 AM
I second the "what types of wheeling you plan to do" question. Some things are good all around. The jeeps came with a 8.25 chrysler rear end, D-35 rear end but all of them came with the D30 front end. Any lift over 4.5" and you will need a SYE like BD said. For heavy wheeling, the full size axles are prefered by many.

OhJeepers
06-27-2011, 09:26 AM
For alwaysxj.. yea thats stock but if you read it properly I have a 8.25 goin in the back an have a 35 I'm purring up front.. baught them, theyre not stock lol For every one, it's mostly going to see the mud but there are some rock events in FL that my buddy gpoes to because thats what he's into so I might go with every once an a while. 4.3xj.. I am almost posotive the 8.25 is 2 splines away from the dana 44. An again for every one the cromies will be installed. But what is an SYE? I feel super stupid haha I have loved jeeps all my life just got into building my own rig because I've always help my buddys with there chevys, fords, an buggys for mud lol

bigjim350
06-27-2011, 09:31 AM
If its just mainly for mud I would stick with short arms and save some money. They dont make a d35 for the front of an xj. Stock would be d30, and upgrade would be a D44. The 8.25 has 27spline on the 96 and older, and 29 spline on 97+. If it were me Id just buy an all inclusive kit like the short arm 6.5" rc kit, maybe pick up an sye if you find ya need it. For 33" i wouldnt worry about gears, but on 35" id go ahead and regear to 4.56. just my opinion. You dont need a beefy built rig for mudding.

OhJeepers
06-27-2011, 10:27 AM
My bad meant 30 not 35 was reading an typing at the same time. But every one says save money on the short arm but honestly I plan on doin a little rock crawling an I love the look of an articulated jeep ha but as beefy wise goes, I want it to be so wild an crazy ppl have to look at it again an be like thats a cherokee?? lol An again wtf SYE haha

xj4life2
06-27-2011, 10:44 AM
An SYE is a "slip yoke eliminator " this allows you to remove the rear drive line and drive the veh in front wheel drive without loosing all your fluid and distroying your transfer case.This of course would only really be needed if you damage the rear driveshaft . It also allows for use of a dual cardin joint at the transfer case so that you wont need a transfer case drop and you rear pinion can be higher. As for the actual physical description, you either cut and drill your output shaft or replace it so that a yoke can be bolted right to it therefor eliminating the slip yoke you currently have that slides in the the transfer case. Please keep in mind that even thise these are extreamly good to have they are not always needed, nessary or the cure all. there are several different options do some reasearch before you jump into anything the money for a SYE might be better spent elsewhere at this time.

4.3LXJ
06-27-2011, 10:51 AM
OK, so you are getting the good axles. But they come in 27 and 29 spline counts. You will want to make sure they are the 29 spline axles, especially for any welding of rear spiders. The thing is, even chrome moly axles cant be marginal on 35s in the rocks. There is just no give there. You would be much better off if you went with an automatic locker with that set up. Also, at 6.5" of lift, the long arms will be a must along with steering upgrades. 35" tires can rip the box right off the frame in rocks. An SYE is a slip yoke eliminator. A stock U joint cannot accommodate the the driveline angle past 4.5" of lift on the rear driveline. So a slip yoke eliminator changes the upper u joint to a double cardan, a standard telescoping driveline and minimizes the lower joint by tipping the pinion up, a wise thing for rock crawling anyway. A word to the wise here from someone who has a taller lift. There is a world of difference between 4.5" of lift with 33s and 6.5" with 35s in terms of cost and upgrades. I haven't gone to the taller tires yet just because of that. Still gathering parts because it starts getting expensive. If you are not prepared to start spending some serious money, compromise and stick with the smaller package.

OhJeepers
07-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Deff appreciate all the ideas, an every ones input. I know what a slip yoke eliminator is don't know why SYE didn't click in my mind :hmmmm2: But I started working on it last week but had to stop for the weekend because I went to a mud event in my home town called Redneck Yacht club, ever hear of it or get a chance to go... do it! Any ways lol Any one know anything about aussie lockers? My buddy has one an swears by it, I'm thinking about one for my front axle