PDA

View Full Version : The 1999 Jeep XJ Needs little paint touch ups.

Mudderoy
06-23-2011, 10:29 AM
When I found the 1999 Jeep XJ for my wife I was more concerned with the mechanics of it than the body (paint). The body is straight, with a few slight dings. There are a few deep paint scratches though.

Specifically one about 3 inches long on the driver's side front fender. I've ordered a couple of cans of duplicolor spray paint, and I've been looking around for how I can fill the scratch then paint over it.

I know many of you could care less (or say you don't care) about scratches on your Jeep, but some may so I'm starting this thread. :P

Right now I'm thinking about using Bondo "Glazing and Spot Putty" to fill in the scratch. I'll then mask off an area (larger than the area that needs to be painted) and try to just over the scratch with the duplicolor paint. There will be over spray but I am hoping this will help blend in to this new color. You know the old paint and new paint will never match exactly. At least not at this level of my body/paint experience.

I'll then use 2000 grit sandpaper "wet" to make the area smooth. Then I'll use duplicolor's clear coat spray and cover the area with a couple (or more?) coats. Finally I will use rubbing compound to polish the clear coat and hopefully it won't look like shit!

Those of you that KNOW what you are doing please let me know what I'm missing, or just doing wrong here.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5GCCgkOi3xk/TgPoUDM2D5I/AAAAAAAAA8w/X9fObvGTGQg/s720/2011-06-23%25252018.07.12.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-TW7IuwrOYEI/TgPofofzhTI/AAAAAAAAA80/hI4zpfdtaMQ/s720/2011-06-23%25252018.07.30.jpg

LizardRunner
06-23-2011, 11:06 AM
""Glazing and Spot Putty" to fill in the scratch. I'll then mask off an area (larger than the area that needs to be painted) and try to just over the scratch with the duplicolor paint. There will be over spray but I am hoping this will help blend in to this new color. You know the old paint and new paint will never match exactly. At least not at this level of my body/paint experience."

The first thing to do is not fill a scratch with any putty unless it is a huge defect, glazing/spot putty is really for pre color coat work and unless you have a large area that needs smoothing by block sanding it will work but isn't the best way particualarly. Toothpicks are great tools for scratch repairs, since you have two cans of color coat on the way, get something like a jello pudding cup (you get to eat the pudding then clean the cup well), clean the area all around the scratch (a mild soap and water works, you are degreasing/dewaxing the paint).Next spray the color coat paint into the cup (a lot so it will be a puddle), latex or nitrile gloves are nice to keep your hands clean, then use a toothpick to place the color into the scratch.

Layer the color up till it is even with the surface being sure to let it dry for about 15 min between layers. Let this dry overnight then come back with wet/dry sandpapers, you will need 320, 400 grits, Nothing Finer at this stage. Now you sand with water, blend the current clear out around the scratch with the 320 grit then switch to the 400 grit and repeat, going a little further out so you have "feathered" the clear coat. wash well the whole area with water and let it dry. use masking paper and tape to surround the patch area a little larger than what you have feather sanded then spray your clear coats, three or four of them with the recomended time between coats that's on the can. If you do this right, all you have left to do is buff out with a little polishing compound (not rubbing compoound). If you have lumps and bumps, sand with 400 grit wet, wash and add some more clear coats then go to the polishing compound. rubbing compound is very easy to burn through paint with, polishing compound is finer and so more forgiving.

You have also mentioned to me that you are going to remove the pinstriping, there is a product that really works well for this called Goof Off, soak a rag with the Goof Off and lay it over the stripe, lift an end and just work all the way to the end, a light wipe on the way back will get the rest of the glue off the clearcoat. another way to do it is with a heat gun or hair dryer, the glue will soften and you can lift the stripes right off then clean the residue off.

jccatt
06-23-2011, 04:32 PM
That is way cool Lizard. Top tip.