PDA

View Full Version : Another one bites the dust - Dalton4x4

Mudderoy
06-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Bear (Dalton4x4) sent me a text this morning...

Hey yall my laptop crashed bigtime. So its gonna be a while before I get back on site. Bernard Dalton

steph74
06-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Dang....

How did he send you a text if his laptop crashed ????

Mudderoy
06-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Dang....

How did he send you a text if his laptop crashed ????

His phone? It was a text message not a post.

LizardRunner
06-17-2011, 10:15 AM
I am sorry to hear about dalton's computer. Hope he can get up and running soon.

4.3LXJ
06-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Hey Bear, hope you get it fixed soon. We'll miss ya. Oh wait, by the time you can read this it will be fixed.

prerunner1982
06-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Have him call me... I will walk him through it. :D

Just kiddin... hope he can get it up and running.

toebee97
06-17-2011, 11:34 AM
That sucks... jeez, wtf are you guys doing on your computers to make them crash and catch all these viruses anyway? :rolleye0012:

Mudderoy
06-17-2011, 11:43 AM
That sucks... jeez, wtf are you guys doing on your computers to make them crash and catch all these viruses anyway? :rolleye0012:

His issue could be as simple as a crashed hard drive. Simple to fix (just put a new one in) but complex from the standpoint of reloading the operating system if your computer didn't come with a operating system recovery disk.

Many people just buy another computer. It's insane the way they are doing this. They know that people will just buy another computer rather than go through the learning curve or pay someone like me $250 to do it for you.

toebee97
06-17-2011, 11:59 AM
His issue could be as simple as a crashed hard drive. Simple to fix (just put a new one in) but complex from the standpoint of reloading the operating system if your computer didn't come with a operating system recovery disk.
I figured as much, just givin him a hard time lol. There is software (some free) that will let you clone your hard drive if you don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling your OS. Seagate makes a free one, I got a disk with my 1TB Barracuda, but I think it only works on Seagate drives.

Many people just buy another computer. It's insane the way they are doing this. They know that people will just buy another computer rather than go through the learning curve or pay someone like me $250 to do it for you.
I know what you mean, I refuse to pay anyone to fix something I can do myself. I've replaced everything but the MoBo and the CPU on my poor old Pentium 4 lol. Once that goes out, I think I'll finally break down and drop some coin on a new home-built beast. :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
06-17-2011, 12:56 PM
I figured as much, just givin him a hard time lol. There is software (some free) that will let you clone your hard drive if you don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling your OS. Seagate makes a free one, I got a disk with my 1TB Barracuda, but I think it only works on Seagate drives.

I know what you mean, I refuse to pay anyone to fix something I can do myself. I've replaced everything but the MoBo and the CPU on my poor old Pentium 4 lol. Once that goes out, I think I'll finally break down and drop some coin on a new home-built beast. :thumbsup:

Oh I think it's great that people do things themselves, what I think is crazy is not fixing and using a perfectly good computer. To replace it with a new one instead. It's their money though.

cantab27
06-17-2011, 02:03 PM
sweet ,, jim we can talk about him again..............................

LizardRunner
06-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Hmmm looks like open season or at least bear season is open. :smiley-laughing021:

Mudderoy
06-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Text message just came in from Bear...

4x4Dalton: Hey yall just lettin yall know Im still kickin. Hope to be back online soon. Bernard Dalton 11:16 AM

Mudderoy
06-21-2011, 11:23 AM
sweet ,, jim we can talk about him again..............................

4x4Dalton: Tell wayne if he does ill know...lol Bernard Dalton 11:19 AM

DirtBound Offroad
06-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Thats a bummer!

I just picked up a $275 Toshiba Netbook for Navigation and music in the jeep and it also works great running my CAD program Alibre, so I now have a $275 nav station and CAD computer.

Mudderoy
06-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Thats a bummer!

I just picked up a $275 Toshiba Netbook for Navigation and music in the jeep and it also works great running my CAD program Alibre, so I now have a $275 nav station and CAD computer.

I've heard several "tech" people speaking bad of the netbooks. My oldest daughter got a deal on a HP netbook ($185) that she bought with her Christmas money. It's been great and she uses it daily for the last, gosh, over a year now.

steph74
06-21-2011, 02:31 PM
That is the thing... we are not "tech" people.... and for the average user, like us, it is definitely a cool deal.
Let's face it, I do not use my laptop or PC at home for anything but surfing the web, sending a couple of emails, watching videos and pictures and the occasional oops I have to finish that paper or ppt presentation.... Heck I even use my ipod most of the time for that at home

Netbooks are perfect for that
Now if you are into #D acceleration video cards whatever... then they might be limiting ;)

I bet Bear falls into my category of users...

Mudderoy
06-21-2011, 02:34 PM
That is the thing... we are not "tech" people.... and for the average user, like us, it is definitely a cool deal.
Let's face it, I do not use my laptop or PC at home for anything but surfing the web, sending a couple of emails, watching videos and pictures and the occasional oops I have to finish that paper or ppt presentation.... Heck I even use my ipod most of the time for that at home

Netbooks are perfect for that
Now if you are into #D acceleration video cards whatever... then they might be limiting ;)

I bet Bear falls into my category of users...

I heard they are made with less than stellar components and have a tendency to fail. Again my experience (through my daughter) hasn't been that.

steph74
06-21-2011, 02:36 PM
what piece of electronic equipment is made so that it last for 20 years nowadays ? but yeah I can see how different people can have different experiences.... after all you get what you pay for ;)

4x4Dalton
06-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Hey yall. Im on my cpu at work so wont be on long or much till home laptop is up and runnin. Just wanted yall to know Im still alive and Wayne I know when you talk about me...lol.

jccatt
06-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Shhhh Bear is listening. Hey mate good to hear from you.

xj4life2
06-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Dang it Bear get back on here , I have to speak english to these fellers an its plum tuckerin me out , Hope the familys well !!!

LizardRunner
06-21-2011, 09:44 PM
good to know bear will be back soon. As for netbooks, my eyes are the limiting factor. We looked at them and I could barely see the screen.

saar
06-23-2011, 05:58 AM
Know the feeling of that, my x61 started to crash few time a week (after more than 3 years of daily work with it...) I bought a new one, let's hope it will survive at least like the old one...
The notebooks are nice machines for internet use, maybe some documents etc, but I think they won't last very intensive work (my pc works ~18 hours a day...)

Saar.

DirtBound Offroad
06-23-2011, 06:56 PM
I've heard several "tech" people speaking bad of the netbooks. My oldest daughter got a deal on a HP netbook ($185) that she bought with her Christmas money. It's been great and she uses it daily for the last, gosh, over a year now.

They don't have the most powerful CPU, but for Navigation, music. etc... it is plenty powerful. Much faster than my 2004 then top of the line Sony Vaio.

But I am finding my self using it a lot more than i thought i would, it plays videos better than my shop PC (P4 2.8 ghz) and when I am watching Netflix on my MacBook I can surf the web on it.

It is not for gaming but for most office applications it would be fine.

Hope you get your computer fixed soon! and sorry if i derailed your thread a little bit.

hookedonxjs
06-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Thats a bummer!

do you have overland navigation on that lap top...it's cool to see all the places you can't go anymore in socal...:mel:

Mudderoy
06-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Hey if any of you have a laptop that you no longer want contact me and depending on model, problem etc... I may pay the shipping. Chances are good I can repair it and use it. Just send me a PM.

4x4Dalton
06-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Hey yall Im back. Lucky for us we just had to restart everything on here took a while but Im back now. So Wayne no more talkin bout me :D

prerunner1982
06-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Welcome back Bear... pretty much the same thing I had to do. Install a good antivirus, firewall, and malware program....