PDA

View Full Version : To sell or to part out

BrianXJ
06-16-2011, 10:19 PM
I need some opinions. I want to buy a 97+ xj so time to sell my 87

XJ4IV
06-16-2011, 10:33 PM
well.... what do you have invested in yours???
You gott make yours WORTH more to GET more... the best way to do THAT is to find those incredible deals... make the investment and then have the equity
for instance I located a WARN winch for 75$... it didnt freespool I took it apart cleaned it put it back together and it worked fine... basically I invested 80$ and came out of it with an item worth a cool 200-250

bigjim350
06-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Sometimes you can make more by parting it out, just takes a lot longer. If it were me I would just sell it outright.

jccatt
06-17-2011, 04:31 AM
Why not keep it for spares. Sell some bigger parts and keep the rest.

LizardRunner
06-17-2011, 09:08 AM
I'm with james on this one, if you have the ability (money) to buy the new one without selling the current heap. Now if you have the storage space you could strip off what you need in the way of spares and sell the rest. That way, you don't have to worry about anyone griping about the parts car being an eyesore.

torque
06-17-2011, 11:45 AM
going to be a litlle presumptious here, 281,000 listed as your mileage in your info...

Engine is not worth too much in its current state, even if it is perfect who is going to buy an engine with that number except for dirt cheap. Same goes for trans and x-fer case. unless you already have new or reman parts installed and that mileage isn't correct for those parts, then there goes your big money makers.

Your body in the pictures doesnt look like you have a lot of trial damage so that is a positive. I don't know the market down there in NC but I would say that in PA you have two choices... 1) drive it till it falls apart or 2) sell it at such a low price that it isnt worth it.

I don't want to insult you, but everyone, myself included thinks that their car is worth more than it really is.

Now, if you have the storage space, this is what I would do... Start shopping for the XJ find one in your price range that doesn't require selling your current jeep. rebuild the 4.0 and AW4 or have them done. Find someone who has the 0331 head cracked or blown engine in an XJ with an otherwise great body and interior and swap the rebuild into it. this way yu get your new body with a new engine and all the luxury for the cost of the rebuilt (around $1300 in PA) and the cost of a jeep with a blown engine probably less than $1200 in PA which puts you at $2500 and a lot of time invested but you should have a lot nicer of a jeep than $2500 will get you in a private sale. Around here that money would get you a 200,000 mile or more XJ or an XJ with rust throught the floorboards and rockers, 98 and 99 XJs in any kind of decent condition go for about $4000 from what I have seen online in my area. Everyone with a running XJ thinks its worth $2500 minimum.

but that is just my .02 and opinion.

cantab27
06-18-2011, 12:36 AM
sell it outright mate....start again........................

BrianXJ
06-29-2011, 01:07 AM
The poll numbers are not helping me decide lol..... Good points on both sides though