PDA

View Full Version : My Movie Review - "Taken"

Mudderoy
06-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Warning read after you have watched the movie.

http://newcityofgospel.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/taken-movie.jpg

My wife and I watched "Taken" last night staring Liam Neeson.

I've always enjoyed Liam Neeson performances, but it never seemed he lived very long or stared in the pictures I saw him in. I thought his character in "Next of Kin" staring Patrick Swayze was hilarious.

Anyway, to the movie.

I had read that the movie was unrealistic and tedious. I didn't find it that way at all, in fact I was very impressed that the story wasn't twisted. You know how you find out that the someone you wouldn't suspect turns out to be behind it all? It was a very simple story about a man and his daughter. Even though Liam Neeson character was very capable of "taking care" of anyone that displeased him, and getting away with it, he allowed the mere mortals around him to sway him from his mindset. The contrast between the ex-husband being manipulated and belittled by his ex-wife, and pushed around by his 17 year old daughter and who he is when he is working is amazing, yet believable.

If you are a father then you know that "if capable" you'd move heaven and earth to protect your child. That is exactly what Liam Neeson did in this movie.

Some of the sequences that I found most amazing (in an entertaining way) was how Liam Neeson fought the many bad guys in the movie. At one point he shoots someone in the back of the head. Not a hero move, but a realistic one facing the odds he was up against.

The fights sequences reminded me of an online game I play, Counter Strike.
What may look unbelievable to some movie fans reminds me of what I experience in the virtual world of a first person shooter. I'm not indicating that this is anything like the real world, but I could relate to it from the virtual one. I laughed out loud several times because of the association between the scenes and my online game experience.

I enjoyed the movie very much as it had aspects of detective story in which clues had to be found. Lots of action, and no "I wanna Oscar" plot twists.

Just a man searching for his daughter in a world that is more concerned with money than morals.

I would very much like to hear your thoughts on this movie.

BlueXJ
06-19-2009, 11:13 AM
I for one, would like to read your wife's review to hear it from a female perspective so as to help me convince my wife to watch it.
I enjoyed your review and would like to watch it from what I read. I doubt that your review would convince my wife to sit through a blood and guts movie as she refers to them.

Mudderoy
06-19-2009, 11:31 AM
I for one, would like to read your wife's review to hear it from a female perspective so as to help me convince my wife to watch it.
I enjoyed your review and would like to watch it from what I read. I doubt that your review would convince my wife to sit through a blood and guts movie as she refers to them.

I'll see what I can do.

Blood and guts? You know I don't remember seeing ANY blood and guts. I don't recall any gore at all! Funny the violence was there but nothing graphic. I didn't think about it until you said "blood and guts". :smiley-laughing021:

firehawk
06-19-2009, 11:39 AM
I liked Taken, but face it, he's just a Jack Bauer wanna be!:D

Mudderoy
06-19-2009, 11:42 AM
I liked Taken, but face it, he's just a Jack Bauer wanna be! :-)

I'll have to take your word for it. I've never seen "24" :thumbsup:

kmanxj
06-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Killer movie!!!

still not as good as Gran Torino though :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
06-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Killer movie!!!

still not as good as Gran Torino though :thumbsup:

Clint has got all touchy feely as he has got older. Grand Torino was good, but I enjoyed "Taken" more. They are just different type of movies.

kmanxj
06-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Clint has got all touchy feely as he has got older. Grand Torino was good, but I enjoyed "Taken" more. They are just different type of movies.

thats for sure!!!! but Clint is still the baddest old dude out there:smiley-scared002::thumbsup:

whowey
06-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Which version did you see???

The unrated cut does have some bloody scenes. But not anywhere to the extreme other movies of this genre seem to have. The scene of the fight inside the trailer and the one in the row house where he discovers 'the friend' are probably the two that stood out in the blood department.

I liked Liam's performance very much also. His screen presence reminded me very much of his performance in Darkman.

And watching the stuntman pilot that Cherokee was quite the pleasure.

Mudderoy
06-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Which version did you see???

The unrated cut does have some bloody scenes. But not anywhere to the extreme other movies of this genre seem to have. The scene of the fight inside the trailer and the one in the row house where he discovers 'the friend' are probably the two that stood out in the blood department.

I liked Liam's performance very much also. His screen presence reminded me very much of his performance in Darkman.

And watching the stuntman pilot that Cherokee was quite the pleasure.

I completely forgot to mention the Cherokee! OMG! What a doof. Yes it was fun to watch that heavy Cherokee ram that pickup. I don't know if you noticed, but I'm pretty sure that Cherokee got on top of that pickup as they were going down that steep hill. I keep wondering if he put it into 4x4 after he jumped in! :rotfl2:

DETOURS
06-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Yet to see.......so I took your advise, and read non of this! :thumbsup:

Voldemort
06-19-2009, 06:57 PM
I completely forgot to mention the Cherokee! OMG! What a doof. Yes it was fun to watch that heavy Cherokee ram that pickup. I don't know if you noticed, but I'm pretty sure that Cherokee got on top of that pickup as they were going down that steep hill. I keep wondering if he put it into 4x4 after he jumped in! :rotfl2:

OH man I thought everyone was going to miss that I was going to jump in and save the day with the Cherokee cameo ! Ha That was my favorite part but thought the movie was cool kinda like "what a old James bonds does after 007" Type thing.

BlueXJ
06-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Did you guys rent this movie or go see it at the theater?