PDA

View Full Version : A/C problems

Jeepster19
06-18-2009, 07:45 PM
I have been having a/c problems since I bought my xj a year ago.It had a leak when I purchased it.Everything was replaced in the system except for the evaporator.It worked great for awhile,even got down to a chilly 36 degree's!Since then the evaporator has went bad.I replaced it and filled the evaporator with the proper type&amount of oil and I can't get it to cool down like before.I know it's hotter outside but on a cool morning it only gets down to 50 degrees!!!Everything is brand new and the proper amount of oil&freon has been installed to factory specs.I hope yall can help me with this problem as I am very frustrated!!!!!!Any input would be greatly appreciated!:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
06-18-2009, 09:48 PM
I have been having a/c problems since I bought my xj a year ago.It had a leak when I purchased it.Everything was replaced in the system except for the evaporator.It worked great for awhile,even got down to a chilly 36 degree's!Since then the evaporator has went bad.I replaced it and filled the evaporator with the proper type&amount of oil and I can't get it to cool down like before.I know it's hotter outside but on a cool morning it only gets down to 50 degrees!!!Everything is brand new and the proper amount of oil&freon has been installed to factory specs.I hope yall can help me with this problem as I am very frustrated!!!!!!Any input would be greatly appreciated!:thumbsup:

Simple question I know, but is the compressor cycling on and off?

Jeepster19
06-19-2009, 05:39 AM
The compressor is staying on and not cycling and the fan is working correctly.I checked the blend door also and it is working like it should,I even lubed the inside of the cable housing for extra measure.I also put a additive made by fjc,part#9150 in the system that helps lower the operating temperature of the compressor and haven't seen a change yet.I just don't know what to do.

Mudderoy
06-19-2009, 07:08 AM
So when you replaced the evaporator, you pulled a vacuum on the system, refilled with refrigerant, etc...?

Jeepster19
06-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Yes,everything by the book.Today the lowest it got was 58 degrees and it took a long time to get there.I called my friend and gave him the temp reading and he said bring it by.Low side was 30 and the high side was 235-240.Everything looked good so we added about 4 oz freon.It brought it down to 52-53 degree's in the driveway.I left and headed home and the lowest it would go drivn down the road was 64-65!!!I don't know what to do,am I doing something wrong?!Temp outside was 89 degree's with 60% humidity with a heat index close to 100 degree's.

Mudderoy
06-19-2009, 06:17 PM
When you say you replaced everything but the evaporator...

Condenser?
Compressor?

How hot is the condenser getting?

Jeepster19
06-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Everything,lines,condenser,compressor,reciever dryer,liquid line with non-serviceable orfice tube,evaporator.I don't know how hot the condenser is getn,we took a reading but I don't remember exactly what it was,147 I think but not for certain.

Mudderoy
06-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Everything,lines,condenser,compressor,reciever dryer,liquid line with non-serviceable orfice tube,evaporator.I don't know how hot the condenser is getn,we took a reading but I don't remember exactly what it was,147 I think but not for certain.

I have my IR thermo with me. I'll take a reading when I get home from work.

Jeepster19
06-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks for all your help!

Mudderoy
06-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks for all your help!

I had 167 on the condenser on the passenger side, and 134 on the driver's side.

I turned the A/C off and the temp dropped to 130ish and 112.

My coolant temp dropped from 1/2 between 210 and the next hash to almost 210 after turning the A/C off. I'm starting to wonder if I have a A/C problem causing my running hot problem.

kennzz05
06-24-2009, 11:11 PM
ive never heard of putting oil in the evap, if it were me id start all over get all the oil out put in the amount and type (pag)stated on the compressor tag (rating plate) and weigh in the charge or put in the amount of 134a stated on the compressor. i suspect oil slugging, too much oil

Jeepster19
06-26-2009, 05:44 AM
I was thinkn the same about the oil.The correct type was used,pag-100.If I get the system evacuated will that remove the oil that is in the system or will it have to be flushed and the compressor removed to drain the oil?