PDA

View Full Version : Where's my coolant going?

XJ4IV
06-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Ok the other day I replaced the water pump and had a perfect install... no leaks nothing to speak of issue wise... soooo yesterday I drive home from work and the thing sky rockets again.... I added about 1.5 gallons of water to it... today on way home from work... SAME thing.
now I know im supposed to put coolant in there but as for NOW im freaking broke wifes been bedrest since last month from surgery... so rather than coolant I did water... BUT i was able to get 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of coolant in there on the initial fill up...
sooooo where is the coolant going??? when I stop the jeep when it hits the red there is nothing left in the overflow reservoir and the hoses are very firm but not a single drop coming from ANYTHING....
Help me please!
And for those of you wondering ... yes its VERY hot outside... we have had record temps last few days here

bigjim350
06-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Well if ya have a cracked head gasket or cracked head, it could be coming out the exhaust pipe or going into the crankcase. Check your oil, make sure it ain't milky looking.

Mudderoy
06-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Yeah if I recall you've needed to replace the water pump for a few months now. I'd be concerned about a warped head.

BigJeepBigJeep
06-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Like jim said, you could be dumping coolant into the exhaust or even exhaust into the coolant. Keep the cap off and run it, if it sprays a lot of air then chances are you have an exhaust leak into your coolant system.

If you're putting coolant in your exhaust you will probably have some white smoke and a sweet smell from your exhaust pipe.

And of course oil mixture will be chocolate milk on the stick or you'll see it in your reservoir.

Hav you checked for bad fan(s) or a clogged radiator?

Gl and let us know!

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk

Mudderoy
06-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Yeah it's possible it's just going out the coolant reservoir too.

When you did the water pump you should do the radiator cap, and thermostat. Replacing the fan clutch as well if it's older than 4 or 5 years.

msmoorenburg
06-08-2011, 06:32 AM
what color is your oil hint (looks like a milkshake = bad)

XJ4IV
06-08-2011, 07:00 AM
nope checked oil level yesterday and its not bad, solid black... exhaust is clean
fans are both electric now and in pristine condition checked the radiator when I did the pump and its clean as well, as for the cap... I GUESS i could replace that but I did that last summer towards the end of it.
Also I removed the t-stat I suppose I could put that back in as well but that thing always bypasses the temp and just stays open anyhow

msmoorenburg
06-08-2011, 07:03 AM
first thing is it boiling over? you could just have a bad sensor.

XJ4IV
06-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Nope not boiling over, but I fill the overflow each morning. Then when it gets hot and I check it... its empty

msmoorenburg
06-08-2011, 08:12 AM
start with a new cap

Mudderoy
06-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Nope not boiling over, but I fill the overflow each morning. Then when it gets hot and I check it... its empty

Yeah that's poteitinally a good sign. I think 12 to 16 psi is the range for the cap, I use a 16 psi.

steph74
06-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Do you see any puddle of coolant after you park that would indicate a leak of some sort ? If it is that hot, it might actually evaporate before you have a time to see an accumulation somewhere.

good luck though

MaxxTraxx
06-08-2011, 09:40 AM
mine is doing something similar...except it is boiling over. I'm leaning towards a water pump....but not entirely sure.

steph74
06-08-2011, 09:41 AM
if it is boiling over, try to change the cap first.... cheaper and easier

MaxxTraxx
06-08-2011, 10:02 AM
renix system....no cap....

XJ4IV
06-08-2011, 07:33 PM
start with a new cap
winner winner chicken dinner
okso after work today I wanted to figure this out so I filled her back up and ran her for a bit until she hit 210... USUALLY it hangs out here so I decided to idle with no fans running... a hair past 210 like Id say about 215 or so it started coming out the overflow... so I inspected the cap closely and found NOTHING to be wrong ... but I could come to the conclusion that the spring has become weaker that what its rated... I checked out the cap little closer and found it to be rated at 13 lbs... is this ok? is there an option to go a little higher???
did the pressure get higher due to the NO COOLANT deal and the water was boiling which creates more pressure????
Anyhow Im gonna snag a new cap tomorrow on the way in to work. Ill fill ya'll in

:pray:

XJ4IV
06-08-2011, 07:34 PM
renix system....no cap....

nope mines post renix... its a 92 with a "normal" setup

xj4life2
06-08-2011, 07:38 PM
nope checked oil level yesterday and its not bad, solid black... exhaust is clean
fans are both electric now and in pristine condition checked the radiator when I did the pump and its clean as well, as for the cap... I GUESS i could replace that but I did that last summer towards the end of it.
Also I removed the t-stat I suppose I could put that back in as well but that thing always bypasses the temp and just stays open anyhow

Without a properly working T Stat the water continues to circulate and is never held in the Rad. to cool , I don't ever recomend removeing a T Stat on any vehicle. Good Luck , I hope you figure it out !!

bigjim350
06-08-2011, 08:30 PM
[/COLOR]

Without a properly working T Stat the water continues to circulate and is never held in the Rad. to cool , I don't ever recomend removeing a T Stat on any vehicle. Good Luck , I hope you figure it out !!

I removed t-stat and dropped in a big washer to help restrict flow. Works like a charm.

XJ4IV
06-08-2011, 11:26 PM
:hmmmm2: