PDA

View Full Version : FYI for Renix Era Radiators

4.3LXJ
06-03-2011, 07:33 PM
All of us know XJs run hot and the Aux fan does not come on until the engine is well above the temperature the thermostat opens. If you have a Renix era Radiator, the fan switch is located in the driver side radiator tank. The factory switch comes on at 198° and off at about 185° The problem with that is that the coolant is supposed to be 10° cooler or more than what the thermostat is rated at in order to maintain an even temperature. This means that your auxiliary fan will not come on until the engine is in danger of overheating. Typically, if you put 198° coolant in the bottom of the engine it will come out at 220° I discovered a fix today for that. The threads on the radiator fan switch are common. There is a Peugeot, go figure> switch that fits the XJ radiator that turns on at 187° instead and shuts off at 174°. Thus with this switch will allow the auxiliary fan to come on sooner and keep the coolant ten degree cooler going into the engine. The model is apparently any Peugeot manufactured between 75 and 82

xj4life2
06-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Just as an added info some of the nissans also have a switch that will work , I'll have to get the part # and post it . Nice work on the renault deal though Steve , I'll pick one up and give it a try , then I will report back. Also Steve the fix for the newer style rad and where to mount the aux fan switch is Flexolite makes a hose adapter for the lower hose that will house the aux fan switch. Forgot to tell you that today.

4.3LXJ
06-03-2011, 08:05 PM
We got ours for HUM WEE. Picked up a new custom radiator today that uses the renix tanks and we did not want to be running that hot. Hence the switch. The only drawback is that there are not a lot of these switches around.

4.3LXJ
06-06-2011, 11:34 PM
The second modification is converting it to the later model radiator. But those do not have the switch bung in the tank. So if you have a brass radiator and want to convert you can save quite a few bucks on having a fill spout and different size hose orifice added for a few bucks. In fact a radiator shop can do this with out removing the radiator. Then get the late model thermostat housing and eliminate the the pesky tank and having to burp the engine.

Also if you don't make this conversion, drilling a 1/16" or less hole in the thermostat will make it burp if you fill from the lower radiator hose. But the conversion is much better.

4.3LXJ
06-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Here is the (XJ) radiator we got for HUM WEE. We went to the pick and pull and got a radiator from a Renix era XJ that was in decent shape. This radiator could have been rebuilt for about $100. Add about $20 for modifications for my Chevy engine, which I originally tried. You will see that it looks a little different if you look closely. The inlet and outlet are smaller, It has a new custom core, fill spout added, the drain cock is moved to parallel the frame and the auto tranny cooler has been removed and plugged. Total cost with tax $287 for a custom radiator. $900 from Griffin.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_1128.jpg

WyoXJ
09-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Any luck on a Nissan part number for the fan switch? I would like to put one in Renix. Thanks

4.3LXJ
09-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Mark from payless was going to look that up. He is off for the weekend, we should rattle his gage monday

mocrawlin
02-21-2012, 09:02 PM
anyone know the part numbers for the switches listed above. also, i got a radiator from oreilly auto parts for a 96 xj with 4.0 and put in my 89 xj 4.o. has the filler neck and the bung for switch. its an aluminum core with plastic tanks. i also installed a 180 thermostat and blocked the lines goin to the crappy jug that was cracked. ive had no temp problems since, temp stays down nicely now. it was a spectra brand radiator i believe.

4.3LXJ
02-21-2012, 09:07 PM
What size bung?

mocrawlin
02-21-2012, 09:30 PM
not sure of the size, but the factory temp switch from my 89 renix radiator fit right into it.

4.3LXJ
02-21-2012, 09:40 PM
If you are talking about the temp switch on the radiator tank, that is metric. We have one from an early Volvo in one of those spots. 185° on and 174° off

mocrawlin
02-21-2012, 09:50 PM
yes the temp switch. someone in above post was gonna get a part number for a nissan part that fits that turns fan on at cooler temp. was curious as to whether anyone had that part number. i would like to get the switch for mine.

4.3LXJ
02-21-2012, 10:08 PM
That would be Mark from Payless 4x4. You can PM him or call toll free

mocrawlin
02-21-2012, 10:27 PM
thank you, sent him a pm.

Carves
02-21-2012, 10:43 PM
All of us know XJs run hot and the Aux fan does not come on until the engine is well above the temperature the thermostat opens. If you have a Renix era Radiator, the fan switch is located in the driver side radiator tank. The factory switch comes on at 198° and off at about 185° The problem with that is that the coolant is supposed to be 10° cooler or more than what the thermostat is rated at in order to maintain an even temperature. This means that your auxiliary fan will not come on until the engine is in danger of overheating. Typically, if you put 198° coolant in the bottom of the engine it will come out at 220° I discovered a fix today for that. The threads on the radiator fan switch are common. There is a Peugeot, go figure> switch that fits the XJ radiator that turns on at 187° instead and shuts off at 174°. Thus with this switch will allow the auxiliary fan to come on sooner and keep the coolant ten degree cooler going into the engine. The model is apparently any Peugeot manufactured between 75 and 82

Most annoying thing about U.S. parts hunting I've found .... Is that search, only, by veh brand and year setup ... :bang:

Duck into NAPA or somewhere ... and ask to have a look at an aftermarket thermoswitch suppliers catalogue ....

There should be a page that will look something like this .....

http://www.tridon.com.au/Products/Product.aspx?SG=8&S=35&G=483&P=2014

I'm guessing they are just repackaged U.S. parts like their thermostats are ... so maybe a hardcover MotoRad catalogue might be a good start ??

I'd have to recheck since I havent had the bung out of my 97 for a while ... but I'm pretty sure the 22mm thread/1.5mm pitch is the one wanted. :confused:

mocrawlin
02-21-2012, 11:04 PM
will do that carves. i used to work for my local part store so i know exactly which catalog has that. thanks for the idea, had not thought of just doing it that way.