PDA

View Full Version : rear spring sag, options?

muddeprived
06-18-2009, 05:40 AM
My rear end is starting to sag from all the weight of my skid plates and two heavy toolboxes. I had it at 4.5", right where i wanted it, and now it's going down to 3.5. I have OME HD springs with the OME AAL and 2" shackles. The shackles are causing the leaf springs to flatten out a little so I want to get rid of them. If i remove the shackles I will lose 2" so I will be sitting roughly at 2" in the back without the shackles. I REALLY love the ride of my springs cuz they are soft but I need to get back to 4.5". I don't want to go out and spend $350 on new rear spring packs from RE so I'm looking for other options. I was thinking of getting another OME AAL and adding it to the pack but that won't guarantee 4.5". I thought about grabbing a set of HD replacement xj springs from 4wd hardware and adding to my existing pack but I'm not sure if that will severely stiffen up the ride or not. I don't want to a stiff rear end. I like em soft
Jason has OME AAL for $27 each and that's a good price. I don't know exactly how much this spring nets but I could get two for each spring if it would net me around 4.5".

What would you guys do in this scenario?

xjjeepthing
06-18-2009, 06:31 AM
I think adding another AAL would make it ride rough. I think a new set of HD packs with your AAL and shackel would be the best answer for ride quality. But eventually will probably sag again. Best answer would be new 3.5" packs.

muddeprived
06-18-2009, 06:40 AM
I think adding another AAL would make it ride rough. I think a new set of HD packs with your AAL and shackel would be the best answer for ride quality. But eventually will probably sag again. Best answer would be new 3.5" packs.

The OME aal is like the first spring in the OME spring pack. It's not thick and stiff like ordinary add a leaves. They net usually 1". That's why i thought maybe it would work similar to combining s-10 leaves with ur stock pack for lift. I never experienced the ride quality of a s-10-stock mixed spring set but i've heard they ride nice.

I need 4.5" lift, not 3.5". I am ditching the shackles for stock ones again.

Mudderoy
06-18-2009, 08:33 AM
I don't have a lot of experience but I have to think that logically the reason why you are getting sag is the same reason you like the leaf springs, they are soft.

If you like the ride quality then you might as well resign yourself to the fact that every few years you are going to have to replace the leaf springs.

I guess the other option would be to remove weight from the back, but I suspect that would just prolong the swap.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's a 4x4, if you want a smooth ride get a Cadillac.

I got my Rough Country 4.5" leafs for $175, love them. You just have to remember to keep your teeth slightly apart while driving. :smiley-laughing021:

muddeprived
06-18-2009, 10:02 AM
I don't have a lot of experience but I have to think that logically the reason why you are getting sag is the same reason you like the leaf springs, they are soft.

If you like the ride quality then you might as well resign yourself to the fact that every few years you are going to have to replace the leaf springs.

I guess the other option would be to remove weight from the back, but I suspect that would just prolong the swap.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's a 4x4, if you want a smooth ride get a Cadillac.

I got my Rough Country 4.5" leafs for $175, love them. You just have to remember to keep your teeth slightly apart while driving. :smiley-laughing021:

That's the thing, "it's a 4x4, it's rough", I like to prove that statement false. Instead of ordering a kit straight from a manufacturer, i piece mine together to fit my needs. For instance my front has HD coils but with a 180 spring rate so they support my winch/skids, mantain it's 3" and also rides soft. Before I got all the skids and winch on it, it was a bit rough because of those coils were not loaded. I got a coil spacer on top of it and drop brackets for angles so the front is soft and ride is great. There is no teeth jarring bangs when going over bumps and steering is alot stable. The rear has HD rear leaves designed for the extra weight and maintain soft and stable ride quality but they are only available at 2" so i had to fix that with an AAL. I felt very little stiffness gained from the aal but I did get 1" so it was a very soft 3" rear. The shackles got it up to 5" and it settles at 4.5" with tools.

The suspension is very soft off road and keep things planted. I do have alot of body roll because of my narrow stance but that can be fixed with some spacers (cuz i like my wheels).

Rough Country has some cheap-*** super-deal springs for sure but knowing myself, i won't like the stiff ride. I learned from being an ex-tj wheeler who went through more springs than oil changes. :D

One other thing, being deaf, we have a better sense of feel than most normal hearing people. We adapt to that sense to feel things instead of hearing since we can't hear. So what I can feel you guys probably cannot and it can be very irritating feeling all the jarring and crap when driving. It rattles more than just teeth ;)

Mudderoy
06-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Well there is nothing wrong with finding a better solution that most people just accept. I love conversations like this because it usually gives me some information I didn't have or consider. The deaf and more sensitive to things is something I did not consider.

Wel if you find a solution I'd sure like to know.

Maybe a nice set of carbon fiber leafs would work. Very soft, and very strong. :D

muddeprived
06-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Well there is nothing wrong with finding a better solution that most people just accept. I love conversations like this because it usually gives me some information I didn't have or consider. The deaf and more sensitive to things is something I did not consider.

Wel if you find a solution I'd sure like to know.

Maybe a nice set of carbon fiber leafs would work. Very soft, and very strong. :D

Please don't tell me about those. If it's that soft I didn't know about it and I dont' want to know about it cuz it'll just end up emptying my wallet again. shhhh......

Mudderoy
06-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Please don't tell me about those. If it's that soft I didn't know about it and I dont' want to know about it cuz it'll just end up emptying my wallet again. shhhh......

lol, I'm sure they don't exist. If they did I suspect they'd cost more than your Jeep, when it was NEW! :rotfl2:

kmanxj
06-18-2009, 11:18 AM
hey not much info to help here but i feel my rusty's 4.5" are starting to sag a little bit. i have run 2 inch blocks for way to long. And just got some 2" shackles so i will be putting those on soon. But you can add a AAL to any pack and net some lift? i thought they only worked on stock leaves. Idk

kmanxj
06-23-2009, 10:48 AM
hey not much info to help here but i feel my rusty's 4.5" are starting to sag a little bit. i have run 2 inch blocks for way to long. And just got some 2" shackles so i will be putting those on soon. But you can add a AAL to any pack and net some lift? i thought they only worked on stock leaves. Idk

?????????????????????????????????

muddeprived
06-23-2009, 12:01 PM
?????????????????????????????????

AAL's can be added to any leaf pack, oem or aftermarket.

kmanxj
06-23-2009, 02:04 PM
AAL's can be added to any leaf pack, oem or aftermarket.

and gain lift?

muddeprived
06-23-2009, 09:23 PM
and gain lift?

the newer the pack, the more lift you get and the longer the AAL lasts.

In my situation, old man emu makes what I call a "helper" leaf, which is their add a leaf, that you can add to the OME spring pack for 1" of additional lift and 20% spring rate increase. The leaf itself is almost like main leaf on their packs so it's not making the ride horrible like most 1/2" thick add a leafs. You can add it to any pack you please.

firehawk
06-23-2009, 09:33 PM
lol, I'm sure they don't exist. If they did I suspect they'd cost more than your Jeep, when it was NEW! :rotfl2:

Slightly off topic...but didn't/dosen't the Jaguar, and Corvette have carbon fiber rear springs?

UPDATE>>>>> TeraFlex apparently is making carbon fiber leaf springs.:smiley-scared002:

Mudderoy
06-24-2009, 02:28 AM
Slightly off topic...but didn't/dosen't the Jaguar, and Corvette have carbon fiber rear springs?

UPDATE>>>>> TeraFlex apparently is making carbon fiber leaf springs.:smiley-scared002:

I don't know, that would be cool though.

BlueXJ
06-24-2009, 04:02 AM
Why not just wedge a chunk of oak 4x4 in there. mudd it will be quieter than your bottle jack rattling around back there. Not that you could hear the rattling.

gorman
07-02-2009, 05:26 AM
Muddeprived, don't know if you've managed to solve your leaf issue, but I'm also running OME leafs in the back with an extra leaf and a 1.5" lift shackle (RE's boomerang one) and the combo netts me around 6". I do also have a custom made short lower spring (not an overload spring) right at the bottom to support the fairly long lower leaf in the OME pack. I have the CS034RA packs, what do you have? I also experimented with two additional extra leafs and it doesn't hamper the flex at all, but it does make the ride a little rough, but then again I don't carry much additional weight - if you do, just add another one. BTW, my extra leafs are ones I had made, it's not the OME ones so they are slightly thicker, 7mm I think.

muddeprived
07-02-2009, 05:54 AM
Muddeprived, don't know if you've managed to solve your leaf issue, but I'm also running OME leafs in the back with an extra leaf and a 1.5" lift shackle (RE's boomerang one) and the combo netts me around 6". I do also have a custom made short lower spring (not an overload spring) right at the bottom to support the fairly long lower leaf in the OME pack. I have the CS034RA packs, what do you have? I also experimented with two additional extra leafs and it doesn't hamper the flex at all, but it does make the ride a little rough, but then again I don't carry much additional weight - if you do, just add another one. BTW, my extra leafs are ones I had made, it's not the OME ones so they are slightly thicker, 7mm I think.

CS034RA (OMEJC1A) 5 leaves in pack, 148lbs/inch s.r. 230mm free height
CS034RB (OMEJC1B) 5 leaves in pack, 148lbs/inch s.r. 205mm free height
CS035RA (OMEJC2A) 4 + 1 overload, 137/257lbs/in s.r. 235mm free height
CS035RB (OMEJC2B) 4 + 1 overload, 137/257lbs/in s.r. 210mm free height

I have the CS035RA. It's the HD pack. I removed the overload and got only 2" out of it. :( Then I added the OME AAL and got 3" plus the 2" RC shackle bought it up to 5" and now it's down to 3.75 after adding all the skids plates and two heavy tool boxes. Your custom leaf may have netted you more lift since it's thicker and you also got 6 leaves in your pack compared to my 5. The OME AAL is pretty much the same thickness as the main leaf in their pack so it doesn't really net alot of lift, just about 1" or so. I should have a bit more lift than what I have now but I think the shackle is stretching the packs making them a little flat. That's why i have such a nice and soft ride with the trade off of losing lift.

This is the only pix I have of a close up of the springs. You can't tell which one is the AAL.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/budget%20lift/DSCF6164.jpg

gorman
07-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Here's some old pics I have of mine - in these pics I had both the extra leafs installed, but I've subsequently removed the second one, i.e. the third one from the top in the pics.

I intend building a rear bumper/sparewheel carrier some time in the future and at this time, with the weight of the 33" tyre further back and the extra weight of the bumper over the OE one, I will most probably re-install the additional leaf I have.

I've once spoken with Dirk from DPG Offroad (http://www.dpgoff-road.com/) and he mentioned that he had used two OME extra leafs in a pack once with great success. Especially seen that you have the CS035RA springs which have a little less initial spring rate, the extra added leaf will probably not affect your ride as badly as it would on a CS034RA pack.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u77/gorma900/IMG_7149.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u77/gorma900/IMG_7152.jpg

Mudderoy
07-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Wow the only way that will sag is if you are driving on the surface of the sun.

okeedokee
07-02-2009, 10:04 AM
all i can say is how much do you want to spend????????
if it is little well then go to your local junk yard or pullapart and find a dodge Dakota and take the springs home
it is called a bastard pack
pull your spring off and take them apart keeping the main spring
take the spring pack off the dodge and cut 2 5/8" off both ends
and install back on your pack
then put back on jeep
3.5" lift or so
but in real life not so easy but it works
here is a pic of the jeep i did it to
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd143/minrex/DSC00199.jpg

muddeprived
07-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Here's some old pics I have of mine - in these pics I had both the extra leafs installed, but I've subsequently removed the second one, i.e. the third one from the top in the pics.

I intend building a rear bumper/sparewheel carrier some time in the future and at this time, with the weight of the 33" tyre further back and the extra weight of the bumper over the OE one, I will most probably re-install the additional leaf I have.

I've once spoken with Dirk from DPG Offroad (http://www.dpgoff-road.com/) and he mentioned that he had used two OME extra leafs in a pack once with great success. Especially seen that you have the CS035RA springs which have a little less initial spring rate, the extra added leaf will probably not affect your ride as badly as it would on a CS034RA pack.

That's what he told me too and the reason i'm going with two ;) :thumbsup:

NickM
07-02-2009, 11:53 AM
CS034RA (OMEJC1A) 5 leaves in pack, 148lbs/inch s.r. 230mm free height
CS034RB (OMEJC1B) 5 leaves in pack, 148lbs/inch s.r. 205mm free height
CS035RA (OMEJC2A) 4 + 1 overload, 137/257lbs/in s.r. 235mm free height
CS035RB (OMEJC2B) 4 + 1 overload, 137/257lbs/in s.r. 210mm free height

I have the CS035RA. It's the HD pack. I removed the overload and got only 2" out of it. :( Then I added the OME AAL and got 3" plus the 2" RC shackle bought it up to 5" and now it's down to 3.75 after adding all the skids plates and two heavy tool boxes. Your custom leaf may have netted you more lift since it's thicker and you also got 6 leaves in your pack compared to my 5. The OME AAL is pretty much the same thickness as the main leaf in their pack so it doesn't really net alot of lift, just about 1" or so. I should have a bit more lift than what I have now but I think the shackle is stretching the packs making them a little flat. That's why i have such a nice and soft ride with the trade off of losing lift.

This is the only pix I have of a close up of the springs. You can't tell which one is the AAL.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/budget%20lift/DSCF6164.jpg

I think I see why you might have a rough ride.
Have you considered taking the jack out of there?:p

Nick

muddeprived
07-02-2009, 07:22 PM
I think I see why you might have a rough ride.
Have you considered taking the jack out of there?:p

Nick

:rotfl2:

That was supposed to be a "budget lift" but didn't work out too well. :)

kmanxj
07-14-2009, 05:54 AM
hey mud you got a link to those ome add a leaves?

muddeprived
07-14-2009, 06:25 AM
hey mud you got a link to those ome add a leaves?

jason has them on his website. i ordered from dirk via email. he said they got a new batch in on the 11th so mine's on its way now. there is no link for them on dirk's site. just email him and ask.

kmanxj
07-14-2009, 06:47 AM
DIRK? DPG offroad? how much?

kmanxj
07-14-2009, 09:41 AM
found a guy selling a set of long AAL's on NAXJA for 20 bucks. Now will this add 2" to my 4.5 rusty's pack or not quite????
thanks

muddeprived
07-14-2009, 10:21 AM
DIRK? DPG offroad? how much?

$82 shipped from dpg.

Depending on the condition of the AAL, you might or might not achieve 2". Hope they aren't the super fat AAL that ride like wooden wagons.

kmanxj
07-14-2009, 10:23 AM
yeah i will get a pic of them. I guess i just dont grasp the concept. To me i think the AAL's are made for stock leaves. So in return wouldn't add lift to a higher arched spring like a aftermarket one. IDK but for 20 bucks its worth a shot.

And i dont think i would mind the thick ones because it would stiffen up the leaves in the rear. Mine are way to fast when it comes to 40 mile an hour through some whoops lol.

was 82 shipped for 4 of them or just 2?

muddeprived
07-14-2009, 10:31 AM
yeah i will get a pic of them. I guess i just dont grasp the concept. To me i think the AAL's are made for stock leaves. So in return wouldn't add lift to a higher arched spring like a aftermarket one. IDK but for 20 bucks its worth a shot.

And i dont think i would mind the thick ones because it would stiffen up the leaves in the rear. Mine are way to fast when it comes to 40 mile an hour through some whoops lol.

was 82 shipped for 4 of them or just 2?

Never hurts to try em out. Some AAL's are similar to stock (like old man emu) and some are thick like rough country's. I had RC's AAL as my very first lift and OMFG it sucked and came off 2 weeks later. :rotfl2:

kmanxj
07-14-2009, 10:32 AM
lol yeah if i dont like em i can turn around and get what i paid back out of em i am sure.

muddeprived
07-14-2009, 10:44 AM
lol yeah if i dont like em i can turn around and get what i paid back out of em i am sure.

Yeah try em and take some before and after pictures. :thumbsup:

kmanxj
07-14-2009, 10:50 AM
ok will do