PDA

View Full Version : Driving with no front drive shaft

jccatt
06-03-2011, 05:09 AM
I took my front drive shaft off to clean the cardan joint and re-grease it. Jeez the Jeep drives good now on road :eek:

Thinking manual locking hubs would be a good option. Any comment Jeepers.

XJ4IV
06-03-2011, 07:56 AM
you need to get the front shaft balanced then... since ALL you removed is that then you need to check those U-joints.... that double cardan is VERY difficult to get cleaned up and repacked properly could you give an explanation of the process? usually this gets done at a shop I cant remember WHY but there is something about that joint that requires a certain tool or something... when mine gets loud like that I just hit up the JY for another... best bet is to locate a later model XJ... or obviously one with low miles

LizardRunner
06-03-2011, 08:29 AM
this is a good article on how to do the double cardan rebuild. http://www.myjeepxj.com/cherokee-repairs/front-drive-shaft-rebuild

jccatt
06-04-2011, 01:48 AM
I have pulled back the rubber with s screwdriver and stuffed grease in, that lasted a few trips. I now have a grease needle for the gun so i will try and get more grease in this time.

cantab27
06-04-2011, 01:51 AM
I have pulled back the rubber with s screwdriver and stuffed grease in, that lasted a few trips. I now have a grease needle for the gun so i will try and get more grease in this time.

the needle works well.... done mine a couple of years back.....

jccatt
06-04-2011, 06:26 PM
you need to get the front shaft balanced then... since ALL you removed is that then you need to check those U-joints.... that double cardan is VERY difficult to get cleaned up and repacked properly could you give an explanation of the process? usually this gets done at a shop I cant remember WHY but there is something about that joint that requires a certain tool or something... when mine gets loud like that I just hit up the JY for another... best bet is to locate a later model XJ... or obviously one with low miles

There was nothing wrong with the drive shaft apart from the need for grease in the cardan. It just drives better with the front shaft out. Just an observation.