PDA

View Full Version : And then there were two...

Mudderoy
06-02-2011, 01:59 PM
You may have read, or heard on last night's podcast, my wife's 1996 Ford Mustang bit the big one. Blown head gasket, cracked head, or something because water is coming out of the exhaust.

Depressed I checked craigslist for a Mustang to replace the one we have, hopefully so I could use some of the things we've recently purchased for the Mustang. Talking to some xjtalk friends I found that the 3.8L Ford engine is pretty much the Dana 35 equivalent. It's just a matter of time before something goes wrong.

$500 to get a pair of reman'd heads plus a lot of work and still no guarantee that would resolve the issue. A couple of weeks down time likely.

I was hopeful that I would be able to buy another Cherokee for my daughters to drive as they started doing that sort of thing, so given this situation I thought I'd check to see if any Cherokees were available on CL.

I am partial to the 97+ body styles since I have a 1998. But I need a 97+ for less than $3000, oh and it needs to be good enough to drive! lol

I was happy to see that there was a 1999 Sport available. Grateful that it wasn't green (simply because I would have never heard the end of it) but sad it wasn't the bright fire engine red that we already have.

http://images.craigslist.org/3n63mb3l45Y35T15R1b5sd199a38d73601da3.jpg
:link: (http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2407538583.html)

In my opinion the 1999 is the best year of the Cherokees. I was able to get a build sheet and this is option out very similar to my 1998.

I drove over to the used car lot and had a look. Here is the list of problems I found.

A/C does not work (blows hot)
Cracked windshield
Possible wheel bearings replacement needed, and or front end parts.
Two power locks do not work. Passenger and driver's side rear passenger.
Leaf springs bend the WRONG way, but the Jeep seems to be sitting level.
NP231 instead of NP242 (I know some of you will see this as a plus)
The tires are crappy
The paint is worn in places, and it overall needs a good waxing or buffing.

So the basics are...

4.0L Engine
AW4 transmission
HP Dana 30
Chrysler 8.25 rear
NP231 transfer case
142k miles

I talked to the guy and told him what I found. I included that everything appears to be factory including the plastic end cap radiator.

He had told me $2500 plus a few hundred to transfer the title. I offered (after seeing the carfax) $2500 including the title transfer, so I got it for about $2300.

We'll probably pick it up tonight. Now I have to figure out a way to pay down the credit card that I used! lol

4x4Dalton
06-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Cool Tony. The list of bad stuff aint really that bad so those wont take long to fix and have a sweet XJ.

bluedragon436
06-02-2011, 02:06 PM
can take care of that wrong direction bending springs by doing a lift.... and the tires by going larger... LOL... Aww.. we wouldn't have given you a hard time on purchasing a green XJ... LOL.. we love everyone equally no matter what color their XJ is... not everyone can be perfect and own a green XJ!! LOL... glad to hear about the addition of another XJ to the family Tony!! You should see if you can manage to sell the Mustang on CL... someone probably would purchase it to sell on their used car lot or something...

LizardRunner
06-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Very nice and pretty good deal. if the compressor is good, just need O rings most likely and a pull down/charge to get the air cold. windshield here is about 150.00 installed. A bastard pack will take care of the rear springs. paint can be had to get it to your prefered Rudolph Red for about 800 if you don't do the prep sanding.

Mudderoy
06-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Very nice and pretty good deal. if the compressor is good, just need O rings most likely and a pull down/charge to get the air cold. windshield here is about 150.00 installed. A bastard pack will take care of the rear springs. paint can be had to get it to your prefered Rudolph Red for about 800 if you don't do the prep sanding.

Yep, I had the same problem with my A/C I fixed it with stop leak.

Windshield isn't a big deal, but yeah I think it was $130 for my 98 installed.

I have a 4.5" set of springs in my back yard. ;o) They are really 2.5" without the 2" shackles.

LizardRunner
06-02-2011, 02:21 PM
now if we could find one for wolf lol. last one we looked at was a basket case.

Mudderoy
06-02-2011, 02:31 PM
now if we could find one for wolf lol. last one we looked at was a basket case.

Well it's not great, but I think I can get it there. Mainly I wanted something that was drive-train sound.

jccatt
06-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Welcome to the 99 club. Not much to fix muddy, you have springs, windscreen not to much, then you can drive it. Sweet.

Mudderoy
06-02-2011, 04:56 PM
So I noticed during the test drive of the 99 XJ the rear end felt a little wiggly. I noticed one rear tire was pretty low so I assumed that is why. My 98 does not have a rear sway bar (as in from the factory that way). Could it be that the leaf springs are causing this swaying as I turn the steering wheel back and forth?

If so I may need to change out those leaf springs A.S.A.P.

BlueXJ
06-02-2011, 05:19 PM
It may just be bad rubber bushings if it was always loaded with weight.

OrangeXJ
06-02-2011, 05:59 PM
So I noticed during the test drive of the 99 XJ the rear end felt a little wiggly. I noticed one rear tire was pretty low so I assumed that is why. My 98 does not have a rear sway bar (as in from the factory that way). Could it be that the leaf springs are causing this swaying as I turn the steering wheel back and forth?

If so I may need to change out those leaf springs A.S.A.P.

Check the rear drive shaft u joints mine did that when I got it. U joints shot to the point "I can't beleve I drove it home with out spitting out a drive shaft"

Do we see a clone in the future?

XJ Rat
06-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Chili Pepper Red, that is a nice color. I know, it is not neon red, but...

My 99 TJ was that color. Jeep only used the color in 98 and 99.

XJ4IV
06-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Sweet deal tony.... the AC can be lots of issues... here are a few cheap or FREE repairs...
if it ONLY blows hot and ONLY blows out the defrost then there is a little valve on the firewall passenger side that needs to be replaced OR your evap canister has a leak or not connected... ALSO check the relay... since XJ's give heating issues most folks pull the relay.
have matt give it a whirl with his AC toy... he figured mine out in ten minutes or less... took the goodyear guys a few HOURS to still come up with "WE ARENT SURE" mine was engaging properly but just not giving enough pressure to make it function properly...
as for the wobbly butt... I took my rear sway off about the second week I had the jeep... I NEVER noticed a difference on the street soooo might wanna have a looksee at the axle CLOSELY while its rotating.
the 231 is a GREAT setup however this being for the Mrs. and your girls I can understand the safety of the AWD feature so no arguments there.
the flat springs are"normal" for a OE XJ even if you dont plan on lifting it you can swap out two of the leafs and get a "normal" height out of it or replace with another set from some other pickup that has springs that go on TOP of the axles.
as for the tires... ugh dont get me started LOL I hate buying tires

cantab27
06-02-2011, 11:56 PM
nice one tony.......and nice colour,,(do like the red but dont tell anyone)

Mudderoy
06-03-2011, 03:04 AM
Well being a computer guy and fat I'm not a good one for the heat. I think my biggest complaint about going off road with rguignard last summer was he would drive 10 feet then get out and look at the next hurdle. I know I know you need to look, but wow it was so much cooler INSIDE my Jeep with the A/C going. :sign0181:

Anyway we picked up the 99 this evening after work. My step-son drove my wife to meet me at the place, and since it doesn't have A/C I drove it home.

Wow I was so hot and so sweaty by the time I got home.

The issue with the wiggly rear end was gone. They put air in the tires before getting it inspected.

There is a slight pull to the right. There is a slight pull to the left during hard braking. She purrs like a kitten, and accelerates like a bat out of hell. I actually warned my wife to take it easy because it will take off on ya.

I'm sure part of it is the smaller tires and stock muffler. The mudders and louder exhaust on mine, well it's noisy different.

I just made a late night run to Walmart to pick up some windshield wipers, and a can of stop leak and A/C oil. With a little luck I'll get the A/C working this weekend.

cantab27
06-03-2011, 03:45 AM
lets us know how ya go with the ac and how you do it...,i do like ac when wheeling..tis nice......you know you will end up lifting this xj...you say no now but..............just a tweak here a mod there ,,bang wheeling jeep...good luck with this one mate......

jccatt
06-03-2011, 05:00 AM
How come you guys know how to fix air con:spongebob:. Its like a taboo over here, ya can't touch the air con cause you will loose the gas and cause a tsunami. Mine just blows air, no hot no cold and I don't want to pay some peanut mega dollars for a $10 fix. Real keen to find out more.

XJ4IV
06-03-2011, 08:02 AM
hmmmm do you guys not have A/C repair cans at your local parts stores?... ours have them at every aisle in the store pretty much...you can get r134a refridgerant you can get stop leak you can get stuff to make em blow even COLDER air you can get a kit that will convert an old AC system with R12 over to R134... you can get stop leak... what else am I missing.... LOL Its like this all used to be a prescription but NOW you can get it all over the counter

Mudderoy
06-03-2011, 09:27 AM
How come you guys know how to fix air con:spongebob:. Its like a taboo over here, ya can't touch the air con cause you will loose the gas and cause a tsunami. Mine just blows air, no hot no cold and I don't want to pay some peanut mega dollars for a $10 fix. Real keen to find out more.

Oh! Well I'll take some pictures and do a write up on what I do to the 1999 this weekend. If I'm lucky the stop leak will fix it well enough to blow cold air. The A/C compressor is so big it doesn't take much gas to freeze your nutts off.

Mudderoy
06-03-2011, 09:30 AM
I post this up in the "Wanted" section as well.

The tires are crap on this 99. I've been checking craigslist for a set for eccos(sp?) and perhaps some decent tires on them. But nothing. If someone local (Houston area) has a set of wheels, or tires you'd like to part with cheap.... Just looking for stock sizes. :thanx:

4.3LXJ
06-03-2011, 12:03 PM

Hey Mate, start yourself a thread and we can take a look at it together.

bluedragon436
06-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Glad to hear that the 99 seems to be going great now, minus the lack of A/C and the tires on it... I was wondering if the rear swaying around was like mine, with the worn out suspension... but glad to hear it went away after they aired up the tires.. can't wait to see what all happens to this bad boy!!

ice_cold
06-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Gratz on the new XJ. Looks good. Maybe you can use it to see the differences of the two to figure out your heat creep issue.

jeepxj95
08-28-2011, 11:10 PM
hey tony hows the 99 doing???

Mudderoy
08-28-2011, 11:11 PM
hey tony hows the 99 doing???

No further issues. It's running hot on the highway like the 98 was doing though. :(

jeepxj95
08-30-2011, 01:24 AM
hmm. sounds like the cooling system needs cleand. i went from 210-215 ish to 190-200 ish.