PDA

View Full Version : Things keep looking worse for the Mustang

Mudderoy
06-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Some of you know that my wife drives a 1996 Mustang. This was a replacement vehicle that we could ill afford at the time that the 1995 Ford Aerostar was totaled. It was rear ended while my step son was driving it.

We had purchased the Aerostar new and really needed it for the seven of us. My two boys from a previous marriage were living with us, then were not, then were again as my ex-wife felt they should then shouldn't then should. I had a Ford F150 club cab and it just wasn't enough spots for everyone.

By the time of the loss of the Aerostar my two boys were back with my ex-wife and my step son was driving. Of course he was driving the van because his vehicle wasn't running.

I think we paid a little too much for the 96 Mustang but it was in good shape, and my wife really liked it. She didn't care for the minivan much, although it served it purpose at the time.

The 96 Mustang had a manual transmission and a 3.8 V6 engine. It was red, much like the Jeep. Red is both our favorite color.

The A/C had a problem which I got repaired. The 2 O2 sensors needed to be replaced, and other than oil changes, inspection stickers, and registration we didn't do anything else to it.

A few months ago my wife was driving back home on I-10 and due to heavy rain and the state of the rear tires she spun and hit a concrete wall. msmoorenburg can tell you it wasn't a minor hit. He and I (mostly him) spend a good couple of hours on it trying to straighten out the rear quarter panel. That is when we found out the body was bent. Still the rear quarter panel looked a lot better, and reluctantly she kept driving it.

With the down turn in the economy and a drastic change in my job back in 2002 we just couldn't afford to have the damage professionally repaired, or buy a replacement vehicle.

It's not unusual, we all deal with what we deal with and move forward. I was hoping to do a little body work and hopefully make it look a little better for her.

Over a year ago, and long before her single vehicle wreck, she noticed that the engine would run hot while driving to or from her parents house, some 20 miles away. The solution was simple. Just occasionally remember to fill the over flow bottle. I keep looking in the typical places for the signs of a leak. Around the radiator and under the water pump, and around the water pump on the front of the engine. Nothing. It was really strange. The Mustang had 70k miles on it when we purchased it, so even though the miles were not extreme it was an older motor and well sometimes they just do things like this.

As I look back I now understand what was going on.

Over the last few weeks my wife had told me that the engine would make a noise. It would lose power and act like it wanted to die. It would only do it for a little bit, then stop and act normal again. There did seem to be a slight miss in a normally smooth running engine.

It really sounded like a sensor issue to me, and she could never get it to do it when I was around, or when I test drove it. The "check engine" has been on for years. I would just clear it before getting it inspected. The light had to do with the EVAP canister, or associated components. I wasn't looking forward to removing the fender to get to these parts.

Today about noon I received a semi-panic call from my wife. Not nearly as concerning as that call I received after she had spun and struck the concrete wall, thankfully.

She told me that the engine started making that noise, and shaking, but this time the engine stopped even before she could exit I-10. She again was stranded on I-10 and this time with our daughters.

I called a local tow company (something else I can't afford) to go and tow the Mustang to the house. I was concerned about my wife and girls, so I left work to head back to their side of town just in case. It's great to have an employer that allows these things, and I try hard not to use these allowances.

Everything worked out well though and even though I'm an hour away, I arrived home just after the tow truck dropped the Mustang and my wife and girls off at the house.

Over the next several hours I tried to diagnose and repair the problem with the Mustang. I started with an OBDII scan to see what OTHER codes were being displayed. Nothing, still the P1433(?) that indicated the issue with the EVAP canister, purge valve or purge flow sensor. I figured that this must be this culprit and it had just got to the point that now it wasn't allowing the engine to function at all.

I decided to start with the sensor, because of the description from my wife, and some Google research I did. Local autoparts didn't have it so I got it from the Ford dealership. $40 and a short trip from my house to a local Katy Ford dealership later and I was back home. Luckily the sensor wasn't hidden behind the passenger fender as the EVAP canister was, in fact it was just at the firewall and literally didn't require a socket, or a screwdriver to replace. Just two vacuum lines and an electrical connection!

When I found out (at the Ford parts) where this was located I said "Obviously Murphy's law will take over and this will NOT be the solution to the problem" which got chuckles from the parts person.

I returned home and replaced the part. The engine had started and ran fine (with a slight miss) after I had returned home from work, so unfortunately I couldn't just assume that all was well by replacing this sensor and cranking up the engine.

After clearing the check engine light I decided I'd let the engine idle and see if it would act up again. I had a part to replace on the Jeep, so I worked on it while monitoring several OBDII sensors on my laptop.

I noticed that the electric fan wasn't spinning, so I kept monitoring the coolant temp. Occasionally I would check the dash gauge which showed normal, and did move from it's original engine cool location.

The coolant temp never raised above 176 degrees, and the electric fan never came on.

While finishing up on the part replacement of the Jeep I heard that "noise" my wife had tried to describe to me. It's the sound an engine makes when it is very hot, the sound of detonation, or pre-ignition. I quickly went over to the Mustang and I could smell the hot engine. I checked the laptop, and it said 176. I checked the dash gauge and it had actually gone down!

I gave the engine a little gas and the detonation noise "knock" increased and got louder. Throttle response was bad. I turned off the ignition. Obviously the problem my wife had been experiencing was the engine over heating. It all fit.

I racked my brain on how could the electric fan not come on, well the temp never was high enough for it to kick on. But it was obviously not 176 degrees so could it just be a bad sensor? I squeezed the upper radiator hose and it was completely empty. Now the engine was off, but I felt there should be water in there, at least some.

So I thought, this must be a stuck thermostat. Off to the parts place I went. I picked up a 195 degree thermostat, a switch/temp sensor and an air filter. It was just time to change that filter.

I removed the thermostat housing and the thermostat was covered in what I could best describe as a thick rust. A powdery substance that was really on there. It appeared to me that the t-stat housing and thermostat bolted directly to the intake. Stupid Fords, really stupid me because I just never had worked on one before.

The engine had been off about an hour so with the t-stat cover off I tried spraying some water in to what appeared to be a bone dry intake water jacket. I got more of that "rust" out of there and even flushed out more. I just couldn't figure where all that brown stuff came from.

Mudderoy
06-02-2011, 01:43 AM
So I install the new t-stat and replaced the housing. I replaced the temp sensor and filled the radiator to the top with water.

I left the cap off because since I had removed and drained the coolant from the bottom hose I knew I would need to continue to fill the radiator after the new t-stat opened.

I was hoping that there would be a visible coolant flow, otherwise I was going to have to have a look at the water pump. It was always possible that the t-stat was working but the flow was an issue and the rust was coming from a bad water pump.

I started the engine and water shot out of the open radiator about a foot. At first I was happy because obviously there was flow, then I thought why would it shoot out a foot just from a simple crank?

I checked the oil again. No milky substance. I removed the oil fill cap, and nothing but the nice brownish black of well used oil. I went to the rear of the Mustang and you could really hear the miss there. I noticed that the exhaust was kind of a spray and steam was coming out.

I thought to myself that this must mean that water is coming from the cooling system and getting into the exhaust. I thought about it and then connected the miss with the water and steam. It must be pouring into a cylinder and being ignited with the air/fuel mixture. I got down lower to the exhaust pipe as I wanted to smell it and make sure it wasn't raw fuel, hopefully before something blew up. In retrospect the smell of fuel would have been overwhelming, but that was my though process at the time.

When I got lower I was able to see that the trail of water on the driveway wasn't from where the hose had spilled on to the ground during the filling of the radiator a nice squire of water was being ejected with some force from a small hole at the bottom of the muffler!

I stood back up and the complete weight of all that I had learned this afternoon washed over me and the realization of the expense and work lay ahead to repair this problem.

If I was lucky I had a blown head gasket. Since it had been repeatedly overheated for the last two weeks there was a real possibility of a warped head, and if not from then surely from today's trip down I-10.

What if it wasn't a just a warped head, what if it was a cracked block?

I'm not the type person that goes to a junk yard and buys an engine. Spending the next 10's of hours removing and replacing an engine only to find out that it's crap too. I don't have the money to rebuild this engine, and spending $2000 on a crate engine is out of my price range. Even if I could find the funds I still have to weigh in the body damage that is yet to be fixed along with the bent frame.

This is a no win situation.

I called my wife and gave her the bad news. My daughters are doing finals in high school and my wife was going to be taking them to and from school tomorrow (Thursday) since they have been exempted from some of their finals. Now they will be walking.

As a father and a husband you want to provide a good and stable life for your family. I worked hard at one job for 16 years. I went from computer operator to director of systems and networking. We started with a couple of 20 to 30 people remote offices to 29 domestic and 2 international locations. In my group I had 20 people in four different states just to support the systems and network. The job was quite stressful but I did it for the good pay, responsibility and the joy of keeping everything running for the then 4000 users.

I was finally at a point where I didn't have to worry about car problems. I made enough money where I could just pay to have it repaired or cut my losses and go get a replacement. I just had to find the time to do it. :D

Then in 2002 at the same time of my review they decided they didn't need me in that position any more. They didn't want me to quit, I just was too valuable, but they really didn't know what my title would be and oh by the way if you do want to quit here's a package for you.

I took the package and left the company and data center/network that I had built.

If you wondered why I am able to be as patient as I am with people, or knew how to set up and run websites, and servers on the Internet, it's because of this past job. I did it all at that company and was rewarded for it for many years.

Since 2002 I have been under employed and generally disenchanted with the corporate life. You are only as important as your are until they don't need you any longer. After leaving the company I found that family and people were truly the real things in life and that the belief in a relationship with a company was false.

So I've come full circle. I worked hard to provide for my family and get myself in a position where I could afford to have a place to live and reliable transportation and back to where I cannot. I am VERY lucky that I posses the ability to work on and think through problems. I know that I stand a high chance of suggest in repairing the Mustang by either having the heads milled or getting reman'd ones. I can do all the work myself so I would save at least $1000 if not more.

I realize that God has blessed me with my family, my abilities, and of course all of you. My friends on this simple little website that brightens my day, everyday! Okay maybe not so much on the weekend, but during the week for sure!

Things will come and go. Things will break and even get beat the hell out of occasionally when they break. ;) But what is really important is how we all share our lives and yes listen to multi-page rants about how much it sucks to have a dead Mustang.

Thanks guys. :stars:

Mudderoy
06-02-2011, 01:45 AM
In looking at a solution I checked Craigs List for Mustangs and then Cherokees. My wife is fine with a Cherokee as a replacement vehicle to the Mustang, so right now I'm planning to go look at at 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 tomorrow after work. It's on a used car lot with 142k miles and $2500, and red!

:mock:

Mudderoy
06-02-2011, 02:14 AM
Oh to be fair I will add, my latest post career job is starting to make me feel like a career person again, even though I'm just contract.

jccatt
06-02-2011, 02:37 AM
Bad luck about the stang. Think the right call is another car. Sometimes its better to move on with cars that are toast

Joliet Johnny
06-02-2011, 03:06 AM
Sorry about the car, they tend to become part of the family. But unlike family we can choose the cars we keep. Hope your wife likes the XJ you found.

msmoorenburg
06-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Bring it over Tony i'll have a crack at it :mad0029: i hate to say the ford 3.8 is a bum motor and not ment for long life :crazy:

XJ4IV
06-02-2011, 08:02 AM
I have a solution for BOTH of us tony... If we can get the mustang running a little bit... I can bring my POS durango out and we can t-bone the crap out of the durango... totalling BOTH vehicles... Ill split the deductible with you and we both walk away with cash in hand and rid of the cars that burden us!!! win win situation... well for us anyways, not so much for the Insurance companies!

LizardRunner
06-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Now that is a string of bad luck. Terribly sorry that you have had to have these experiences but I have found that what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger in the long run. are you going to part out the stang to help pay for the XJ? that's an option. JY's don't give you much but make a lot off cars like that. Good luck be with you.

Mudderoy
06-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Now that is a string of bad luck. Terribly sorry that you have had to have these experiences but I have found that what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger in the long run. are you going to part out the stang to help pay for the XJ? that's an option. JY's don't give you much but make a lot off cars like that. Good luck be with you.

Well I'd like to but living under the finger of the home owners association it's difficult to have a vehicle in pieces, or appear non-drivable. I'll need to do some research about how I would get rid of the carcass and how much it might cost me.

4.3LXJ
06-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Tony, machines are just machines. Sometimes it is better to just cut your losses. Too bad it happens at times when it is the least convenient. She will probably be happier with a nice XJ anyway and she can then fix it up the way she wants. You will have competition.

BlueXJ
06-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Well look on the bright side, you may get a newer vehicle and be a 2 Cherokee household. It is red I assume.

BigJeepBigJeep
06-02-2011, 11:51 AM
If you need to put the mustang somewhere if you plan to part it out, I have plenty of room at my place and can aide in the process. I can park 20 cars at my house all without wheels and nobody can say anything :)

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk

bluedragon436
06-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Sorry to hear about the Stang... Hope that things work out for the XJ that you found... heck maybe you can work out a deal with the lot to trade the Stang and some money for it... they will take care of the engine, and the body damage and have it back on the lot in a week or two... LOL..

Mudderoy
06-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Well as it turns out it was pretty easy to fix the Mustang...

http://images.craigslist.org/3n63mb3l45Y35T15R1b5sd199a38d73601da3.jpg

4.3LXJ
06-02-2011, 01:27 PM
You should put the stang on one of those total make over shows.

BlueXJ
06-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Mustang = Ford = Crusher. I would never say that about a Jeep no matter what was wrong with it.

ice_cold
06-02-2011, 06:23 PM
So you got the XJ? If its the one in the pic...I like that color, not a big fan of the lipstick type reds...sorry Mud..:rolleye0012:

Mudderoy
06-03-2011, 03:35 AM
So you got the XJ? If its the one in the pic...I like that color, not a big fan of the lipstick type reds...sorry Mud..:rolleye0012:

Yep, see my post "And then there were two..."

No problem we can all like what we like. :drinking: