PDA

View Full Version : M & M = MAC and Malware!

Mudderoy
05-31-2011, 04:48 PM
To all our members (and guests) with Apple MAC computers. There is now a new and real threat in the malware realm just like it has been for years for the big boy, Microsoft.

See I told you guys not to tell everyone how great your MAC was. :poke:

:link: (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4650)

4.3LXJ
05-31-2011, 06:19 PM
I have already had that one happen. I just did what they recommended. It is the way any Mac user should respond. Anyone that pops up with a message that my CPU has a virus gets the window shut immediately. I used to be able to monitor data in and out, but now that I use a smart phone for my broadband card I can't.

bluedragon436
05-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Mac's are awesome... but can't see spending the money on them right now... I'll just stick with my PC's and Linux for now... cheap man's Mac!! LOL

4.3LXJ
05-31-2011, 06:27 PM
Linux and unix, great systems.

LizardRunner
05-31-2011, 09:24 PM
I love unix, the language of hackers everywhere. oops shhhhhhhhht did I say that outloud??

steph74
06-01-2011, 09:05 AM
They have come up with great stuff.... i love my Linux
I have not used a mac (other than the ipod lol) in a very long time....

4.3LXJ
06-01-2011, 09:39 AM
The new macs are unix based

Mudderoy
06-01-2011, 09:57 AM
LINUX (Fedora) is very easy to use and it has everything I need to do the basics, however when it comes to games it's Windows hands down. I'm not sure if I could do the podcasts in Linux, I know it can be done on the Mac.

I tried switching to Linux, but can't. I suspect that if I didn't enjoy the games I could. Nothing two computers wouldn't solve. Dual boot would take care of the situation, but I really don't like waiting and having to switch between operating systems.

Sad really. If game developers ever start writing games for Linux I suspect that will be the signal that Windows is on the way out. Eventually it will all be Linux.

steph74
06-01-2011, 09:59 AM
See I don't do games much.... ;) that helps.

4.3LXJ
06-01-2011, 10:00 AM
LINUX (Fedora) is very easy to use and it has everything I need to do the basics, however when it comes to games it's Windows hands down. I'm not sure if I could do the podcasts in Linux, I know it can be done on the Mac.

I tried switching to Linux, but can't. I suspect that if I didn't enjoy the games I could. Nothing two computers wouldn't solve. Dual boot would take care of the situation, but I really don't like waiting and having to switch between operating systems.

Sad really. If game developers ever start writing games for Linux I suspect that will be the signal that Windows is on the way out. Eventually it will all be Linux.

Now id you had a Mac, you wouldn't have the problem. I run Fusion software for a virtual machine. I can drag and drop between windows and mac, or any other operating system it supports, such as unix and linux. If I want, I can run them all on the same machine.

Mudderoy
06-01-2011, 10:02 AM
See I don't do games much.... ;) that helps.

I've always enjoyed video games. When I was doing the "director" thing I was under a lot of stress. When I would get home I could play a first person shooter and I would completely forget about the days events. It was a great way to relax, hunting people down and shooting them in the head, and of course keeping the same from happening to my virtual character.

I've always enjoyed seeing the games progress in the realism.

Indiana Jeep
06-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Not been online much, other than an occasional check in from my nook, hadn't heard about this.

Indiana Jeep
06-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Luckily, the pop-up blocker on mine hasn't allowed those things to come up. Or I'm just not online enough to run into them. Got a Nook Color ereader for Christmas and have been addicted to it. Today is the first time I've used my Macbook in probably a month!

Mudderoy
06-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Luckily, the pop-up blocker on mine hasn't allowed those things to come up. Or I'm just not online enough to run into them. Got a Nook Color ereader for Christmas and have been addicted to it. Today is the first time I've used my Macbook in probably a month!

Yeah it's just started, so I would imagine that very few MAC users will see it often at this point.

Mudderoy
04-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Welcome to the REAL world MAC users...

More than half a million Macs infected with Flashback Trojan malware

While it may not be the Macpocalypse some have been warning about, but the Flashback Trojan that’s spreading across the Macintosh universe is something users of Apple’s computers will want to pay attention to.

This piece of malware has infected more than 600,000 Macs. Earlier Wednesday, a Russian antivirus company claimed the Flashback Trojan was running on more than 550,000 Macs, including 274 in Apple’s hometown of Cupertino, Calif.

The Trojan doesn’t attack OS X, but rather exploits a flaw in the Java platform that runs on Apple’s operating system. Oracle patched the hole some time ago, but Apple – which distributes Java for OS X – only got around to releasing a fixed version this week.

:link: (http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2012/04/more-than-half-a-million-macs-infected-with-flashback-trojan-malware/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

4.3LXJ
04-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Mine is fixed :D

Sneedle Vision
04-05-2012, 12:32 PM
I followed the directions in that first link and I didn't have any "macdefender, etc, etc" in my activity monitor, so I'm assuming that means I haven't been hit with it??

I guess I do alright with all of my clickys...

4.3LXJ
04-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Just do a software update. Apple will send you what you need to install

Mudderoy
04-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Oh crap! I just realized, yeah there's that malware thing. I posted it just because I was surprised there were 560 million MACS online out there! :D