PDA

View Full Version : What type of welder would you get?

4x4Dalton
05-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Hey yall. I have been lookin at welders for a few weeks now. Dont want anything big and pricey just something for doin a lil fab here and there. The roof rack got me into the fabin kick...lol. Maybe even tryin my hand at makin a bumper. What I am wonderin is what brands, size,tig or mig,rod or spool and wattage. I know theres a bunch of yall who weld or fab for a livin so yalls help will be greatly appreciated.

alwaysxj
05-27-2011, 04:48 PM
I use a lincoln 140, 110v it is flux core no gas. it can weld up to 1/4 or 5/16 don't remember. I like it, it does take some getting used to. but it was cheap, you can get them from like lowes or home depot.

DETOURS
05-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Visit HTP or www.usaweld.com more options, more amps, more life-span, more customer service, more welder for your money.

The small 'major brand' welders are imported & limited, they are'nt very serviceable, a welder is a tool......buy the best you can afford, it's an investment........110 units should not be used with extension cords. (voltage loss)

bigjim350
05-27-2011, 06:51 PM
I would go with the Hobart Handler 140, its a great welder for light to medium duty stuff.

DETOURS
05-27-2011, 07:35 PM
I would go with the Hobart Handler 140, its a great welder for light to medium duty stuff.

I've owned 2 out of need, sold them off as soon as the 'need' was gone......Hobart has sadly become the stepchild of Miller......and marketed as other 'off' brands as well. Sorry.......but true.

Weldmen
05-27-2011, 07:39 PM
I bought the Hobart wire feed welder about 10 years ago. Its a 175 amp and would buy another! I run gas .030 wire and can red hot the backside of a 5/8 plate. Thats some good penatration lol.

Firemanray
05-28-2011, 12:17 AM
I've got a miller 175 mig, welded every thing I've ever put in front of it. The only problem I ever had was a "kinked" wire tube in the electrod. Easy fix. I've got a hobart plasma cutter also and it works great.

LizardRunner
05-28-2011, 10:03 AM
My next unit will be from HTP, I am really impressed with their equipment and prices. I've used hobart, lincolon and miller units and all are good machines. The thing to avoid is not getting enough power you want 170 amps and up for bumpers and such so you don't overheat the welder trying to get the penetration you need. as far as type to get, that depends on if you are already familiar with any particular type of welding. If you know how to use oxy acet. already, a TIG would be a great chocie because you already know the motions your going to use. Mig is great for easy use I've been told. I've got a gas rig now and will be getting a new TIG to go with it since I am most comfortable with the skill set already. Mig would take me a liitle getting used to before I even started practice. IF this is going to be your first welder, I would recomend Mig, it is pretty versitile as long as you get a good unit and take a course on welding. Mig with a gas bottle can weld most any metals including stainless and aluminum just like a TIG and the cost is less.

jccatt
05-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Ive had a gasless mig for years. If I got another I would get the most amps and most adjustable I could aford.

4x4Dalton
05-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks yall. Some good info from one and all. I'm gonna do some checkin around and see where round town I can get into a Weldin class soon.

Marsbar
05-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Visit HTP or www.usaweld.com more options, more amps, more life-span, more customer service, more welder for your money.

The small 'major brand' welders are imported & limited, they are'nt very serviceable, a welder is a tool......buy the best you can afford, it's an investment........110 units should not be used with extension cords. (voltage loss)

Yes I totally agree, I use an Inverter Tig/Stick & at any stage can add a remote wire feeder(gas/gasless) for Mig. Most have trouble welding Tig and I would recomend using Mig as it's best for the novice. If you can afford to buy Gas/Gasless this will give options, Gasless does have alot more splatter but you wont be paying for Gas Bottle rental or wasting $$$ on disposible gas cylinders. You'll have the option of using gas/solid wire for project that require the better finish that gas welding gives.

Get fabricating asap on projects for around the workshop (workbenches etc) & get practise or do a tech coarse to get you started before your purchase....then you'll want the biggest & the best HaHa, just do it & have fun