PDA

View Full Version : How difficult.....

Howler_GT
06-14-2009, 12:21 PM
How difficult is it to drop tranny/tc?

I have not done this on an XJ before.
Ive done tons on Dodges and Chevys but not an XJ.

I believe Lil Red needs a front tranny seal.

He's been "marking his territory"/"dusting for mosquitos"/"playing Bond-car"

Call it what you will.

I can deal with the leaking. Im used to that...Heck he is an XJ.
He has the ever popular "dino-liner undercoating"
Its the smoke-screen I can do without.
It is extremely embarassing.

I'd love to bolt-in a manual, but Mrs Howler would kill me.

Any tips, tricks, pointers, "don't do's" anyone care to share.

BlueXJ
06-14-2009, 02:09 PM
The big problem with pulling the XJ tranny is the top two bolts which are Torx like much of the rest of an XJs bolts. Once you drop the x-member and slowly lower the tranny down so that the back of the head rests against the firewall then you can nreach those two torx bolts but I think they are T50 or T60 Torx so you will need the appropriate socket.
The transfer case is easily removed first so that the tranny is not off balance to the drivers side. That is the only way I have ever removed them, seperately.

DETOURS
06-14-2009, 05:38 PM
I use about 4 1/2 feet of extentions to get those top 2 bolts, but they've never been torx headed.
I've heard of some years not having removeable dip stick shafts, but I cant confirm that....
A floor jack will be your best friend the day you decide to take it on!

Howler_GT
06-14-2009, 07:33 PM
For the time-being, I put a catheder in Lil Red.

A WHAT???

I sealed up the lower portion of the inspection panel, then drilled a small hole as low as I could, sealed a small nipple in with hi-strength epoxy, ran a 4' long length of tubing. Zip-tied it up and placed a spent motor oil bottle on the end (nipple forced thru the top) and zip-tied that so it rests on the trans cross-member.

Can't see it unless you crawl underneath.
Good for the enviroment!!!
Re-use of plastic container, and keeping a petroleum-based automotive fluid from spilling on the ground.

This will suffice until I can allot time for the REPAIR.

I will take pics of this stop-gap fix because I know SOMEONE will want to see.

Melissa
06-15-2009, 02:10 AM
Your darn right Howler, I REALLY gotta see some pics!!!

Please :)

Mudderoy
06-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Howler?? = Macgyver??, hmmm...

Howler_GT
06-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Howler?? = Macgyver??, hmmm...

They used to call me that back in high school.
Always had a roll of duct tape, pack of chewing gum and a Swiss Army Knife in my vehicle.

I used to say "There are only TWO things I can't fix. A broken heart and the crack of your a**. But I have a 5gal can of spackle, so its down to one thing."

xjarcher
06-25-2009, 06:00 AM
Howler,
Are you sure it's a tranny seal? very likely it's a rear main. Not doubting your diagnostic capabilities or anything but the rear main is problematic on these things. Yes it leaks out of the inspection hole you just MacGyver'd (nice job, shoot some pics!). I've removed a couple trannys and a couple motors. If you do have to drop the trans I would first pull the two motor mount bolts, let the engine drop then work on removing the stupidtorx (that's the official name) bolts on the top. It's been said that you can use a 3/8" 12pt socket on them but I nearly wrecked one before I bought the correct stupidtorx socket. Hope this saves you an hour or so. Unless you never plan on going there again, I'd replace the stupidtorx bolts with normal fasteners. I have several of those things in the parts bin. I cringe when I look at them, just like a pic of an old girlfriend! I automatically say "Why did that happen!?":smiley-gen165::eek::eek:
Footnote:Old GF is NOT permanent GF/Wife, she's HOT and has been for 22 years!

Mudderoy
06-25-2009, 08:56 AM
Howler,
Are you sure it's a tranny seal? very likely it's a rear main. Not doubting your diagnostic capabilities or anything but the rear main is problematic on these things. Yes it leaks out of the inspection hole you just MacGyver'd (nice job, shoot some pics!). I've removed a couple trannys and a couple motors. If you do have to drop the trans I would first pull the two motor mount bolts, let the engine drop then work on removing the stupidtorx (that's the official name) bolts on the top. It's been said that you can use a 3/8" 12pt socket on them but I nearly wrecked one before I bought the correct stupidtorx socket. Hope this saves you an hour or so. Unless you never plan on going there again, I'd replace the stupidtorx bolts with normal fasteners. I have several of those things in the parts bin. I cringe when I look at them, just like a pic of an old girlfriend! I automatically say "Why did that happen!?":smiley-gen165::eek::eek:
Footnote:Old GF is NOT permanent GF/Wife, she's HOT and has been for 22 years!

I have read that sometimes it isn't the rear main seal. It is one of the 3 "O" rings on the oil filter adapter. Leaks from behind the oil filter and drips down the inspection cover making it look like a rear main seal issue. People have changed the rear main seal only to find it was a 30 minute job replacing the 3 "O" rings.

xjarcher
06-25-2009, 10:26 AM
I have read that sometimes it isn't the rear main seal. It is one of the 3 "O" rings on the oil filter adapter. Leaks from behind the oil filter and drips down the inspection cover making it look like a rear main seal issue. People have changed the rear main seal only to find it was a 30 minute job replacing the 3 "O" rings.

Mudderoy is also correct. In addition, the valve cover is known to leak at the rear near the firewall. That leak also runs right down to the same area. My oil filter o-rings are fine as they have been changed. The VC gasket is leaking and one of these days we'll fix that too.
As always YMMV

Howler_GT
06-26-2009, 03:04 AM
Valve cover gasket changed. Oil filter adapter repaired.

Burning oil smell completely gone.
Burning trans fluid smell still present.

Oil level constant. Trans fluid level drops.

Recently did trans fluid change.
Red spot on driveway....

Its a trans seal.

xjarcher
06-26-2009, 06:08 AM
Excellent diagnostic work Doctor! Go buy that stupidtorx socket and commence! Take pics and make a write up out of it!!

Mudderoy
06-26-2009, 09:12 AM
Valve cover gasket changed. Oil filter adapter repaired.

Burning oil smell completely gone.
Burning trans fluid smell still present.

Oil level constant. Trans fluid level drops.

Recently did trans fluid change.
Red spot on driveway....

Its a trans seal.

Or it's been shot!!! :smiley-laughing021: