PDA

View Full Version : Detours Backbone System install

firehawk
03-23-2009, 09:19 PM
The Backbone and winch arrived today.:rofl: I can't really do much of a write up on it. The Backbone took about 30 minutes to bolt up. Everything lined up perfectly, and came with all the hardware needed to bolt it up.:thumbsup: You simply tilt the front down to allow the brackets to clear the fender braces, slide it back and install the bolts. I will have to take a die grinder and carbide burr to the two holes on the frame on the passenger side that take the two 1/2-13 bolts to remove some sheet metal that is blocking about half the hole.:confused:

Here is the Backbone bolted up.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/kbharbison/Backbone010.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/kbharbison/Backbone009.jpg

Here it is with the winch mounted up. Only problem I had with any of the install was with the two front square nuts that are used to bolt the winch down. I had to grind one edge down some to allow it to go back into the slot in the winch far enough to screw the bolt in. The back two were fine.:confused:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/kbharbison/Backbone007.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/kbharbison/Backbone016.jpg

I had added a pair of angles that tie the frame and the radiator support together. The 3/8" bolts supplied with the Backbone are not long enough, so I will have to get some longer bolts. No fault of Detours.

If you don't want, or want to spend the cash on a winch bumper, THIS is the way to go. Hat's off to Mark at Detours!:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
03-24-2009, 12:36 AM
I think it is a really cool alternative to replacing the entire bumper. For many many months this was what I was planning to put on my XJ.

Mudderoy
03-24-2009, 04:19 PM
I guess you are waiting to put the WP bumper back on because you have to notch it?

firehawk
03-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Yes about notching the WP bumper. How did there get to be 2 of these theads? I'm cornfused.

Mudderoy
03-24-2009, 11:32 PM
I don't know I figured alcohol was involved so I just sat back and read both. :smiley-laughing021:

Melissa
03-24-2009, 11:38 PM
I don't know I figured alcohol was involved so I just sat back and read both. :smiley-laughing021:

:lmao: :smiley-scared003:

firehawk
03-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Some have questioned the length of the recovery points on the Backbone sine it has been modified to allow me to use the WP bumper.

Here is the "fix" I've come up with. I'm going to weld a piece of 1x1/2" barstock to the bottom of the winch mount. It will tie the two arms together. I will weld it to the arms AND the bottom of the winch plate right behind the two front slots the winch bolts to.

Chime in here Spanky if you see any problem doing this.

Mudderoy
03-25-2009, 07:25 PM
I know you have some challenges getting this thing completed, but I wish you'd hurry up! I want to see the final product. :D :popcorn:

firehawk
03-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Patience man.....:D

Here's my plan, I'm going to TRY to weld the brace on tomorrow. We have some equipment coming in tomorrow that we are rebuilding and some parts will have to go out to the sandblasters. I am going to try to get the bumper cut so it can go out with the parts and be sandblasted at the same time. I might stay after work tomorrow or Friday and cut the bumper then. My compressor at home isn't big enough to run a die grinder and cutoff wheel.

Don't worry, I want to wrap this up as soon as I can too.

BTW, I did run the cables to the battery for the winch today just long enough to see if it runs. It runs fine.:D

Mudderoy
03-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Cool. You know I can't play with my bumper, so I'm going to live my life through you for now. ;)

Someone asked but I never saw the answer (it might have been on CT) what size winch? 9000lbs?

Are you going to dribble BLUE paint on it like xjjeepthing did his interior? :lolsign:

firehawk
03-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Cool. You know I can't play with my bumper, so I'm going to live my life through you for now. ;)

Someone asked but I never saw the answer (it might have been on CT) what size winch? 9000lbs?

Are you going to dribble BLUE paint on it like xjjeepthing did his interior? :lolsign:

It is an 8000# winch.

Uh.... no.

When are you supposed to get your bumper? I thought it was done?

Mudderoy
03-25-2009, 11:57 PM
Mark expects it to ship next week, but it's getting tights.

_StationWagon_
03-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Mark expects it to ship next week, but it's getting tights.
You go to such great lengths to be different man - now you're getting tights put on your bumper. Is that anything like a hood "bra"?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

firehawk
03-26-2009, 10:11 PM
I've got the bumper cut now. It's still a rough cutout, but basicly how it will look. I need to trim somemore out where the recovery points stick out, and round off some edges. I'm going to cut the mounts off tomorrow and simply move them over 1/4" or so on each side and reweld them.:thumbsup:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/kbharbison/Backbone020.jpg

I will remount everything to make sure it all fits and looks good before I get it sandblasted. Bummer is I won't be able to post up anymore pic's until next week. My daughter is going to Disney World in Flordia. The symphony band she plays a violin in at high school was invited to play down there. She's taking the digital camera with her. :mad:

If I can figure out how to download off the other camera I will post up pic's.

firehawk
03-27-2009, 08:15 PM
The WP bumper is on. Everything is mounted up for the time being. I still need to do some minor cutting, and straightening up of a couple of the cuts.

I cut the bumper mounts off and rewelded them on this afternoon. I sanded down some of the powdercoat that peeled up from the heat and rattled canned the bare metal for now. It will do for now. When we send some parts at work to be sandblasted I will take the bumper off and sent it with them. Soon I expect.

Bummer is my daughter has the digital camera with her in Florida, so unless I can find an SD card reader for the other camera, I won't be able to post up any pic's until next week.

BTW, MY stuff from Detours looks great!!! :smiley-taunt013:

firehawk
03-28-2009, 05:35 PM
I went out and bought an SD card reader so I can post up pictures.

Here's a pic of the Backbone with the WP bumper on.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/kbharbison/Backbone023.jpg

Like I said before the bumper still needs some work before I get it sandblasted, and repainted, but this is how it will look.

Mudderoy
03-28-2009, 06:05 PM
That is sharp! Where isn't the bumper ready!?!? Wow you are pickier than me.

Cool, I didn't know DETOURS sold a winch! ;)

Thanks for the picture, I was really wanting to see the final product.

I think Mark should have gone ahead with getting the WP bumpers now. Nice non-stock combo.

You gotta be proud with the way that turned out. Now we need a picture of you winching something! :popcorn:

firehawk
03-28-2009, 06:22 PM
The bumper has rusty places ALL over it. Water and salt got under the powdercoat and did it's thing on the steel. I've painted other parts with Krylon's appliance epoxy enamal, and it is the best paint I've found to stand up to the damn salt they use here. I need to cut the center down slightly as it is hitting on the bottom of the winch mounting plate.

I've always been a person that is somewhat "loyal" to businesses that make a good product. So I decided Detours deserved "top billing" so to say.:thumbsup: I'd thought about putting the sticker on the bumper, but no one would notice it down there.

Thanks again Mark, I've been eyeballing the Backbone for 2-3 years now. I first saw it on GLXJ, but never really thought I'd need a winch. I know you didn't get much of a response from there about your products...for reasons I won't go into here.

A Tailbone is in MY future!:D

Mudderoy
03-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Yeah, the DETOURS stickers looks good there.

Mark has the same problem I do, he speaks his mind. :smiley-laughing021:

Personally I'd rather have someone tell me what they think then stab me in the back later.

Kind of like when I told him those backup lights on his slimline were UGLY! :poke: And that was before I knew him very well.

Personally I really don't want any other manufacturer's products on my Jeep after getting the rear bumper. It's all about the quality.

firehawk
03-28-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm with you, I HATE people that beat around the bush. You got something to say...spit it out!!!

xjjeepthing
03-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Looks good Kim

firehawk
03-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Looks good Kim

Thanking you!:thumbsup: I'm totally satisfied with how it turned out.

Now, get 'yer butt down here:driving:, and let's go to Badlands!

xjjeepthing
03-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Im gonna try to get there this year. Im hoping before winter to get a Tailbone from D

firehawk
03-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Ok young lady...time to get the Dial soap out I see.

You had better watch your shit 'ty mouth!:D

Melissa
03-28-2009, 08:04 PM
my bad, sorry :D

firehawk
03-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Well ok THIS time! It's just that I was ****ing appalled at your foul language!:smiley-laughing021:

xjjeepthing
03-28-2009, 08:20 PM
You guys kiss your mothers with those ****ing mouths

firehawk
03-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Really only ****ing appalled, not mother ****ing ****ing appalled :eek::rotfl2:

Okay okay I quit, I promise :smiley-taunt013:

Your going to get us kicked off of here.:smiley-scared002: I was sitting here reading my Bible, getting ready for church tomorrow, and you start all this godd**** cussin'.:smiley-laughing021:

Melissa
03-28-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm sorry, I'm sorry, my really bad, I'll go to church tomorrow and pay my penance, I promise. :thumbsup:

DETOURS
03-29-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm with you, I HATE people that beat around the bush. You got something to say...spit it out!!!

i got somethin to say..................
It Looks Freak'in Great!

Thanks for the decal placement, I have white if you prefer over the red. :rolleyes:
Looking forward to additional pics, did it go as you planned?

firehawk
03-29-2009, 12:14 PM
The red decal is fine. Appreciate the offer though. I think it turned out great, exactly what I wanted.:thumbsup: As I've said I didn't want a big heavy winch bumper, but I wanted to mount up a winch. The rest of the Jeep is too close to stock looking, and I figured a winch bumper would be a little over the top.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/kbharbison/Backbone022.jpg

Everything went about as I planned. I moved the bumper mounts out 5/16" on both side and it still wasn't enough. Thank God I had only tacked them in place. I think I can cut at least 1", maybe an 1 1/4" off the d-ring mounts, and redrill the holes for the d-rings. That way they won't be so long, and the d-ring will be closer to where the mount is welded on. That should solve any problem with them bending if pulled from the side.

There is room to mount up my lights on the bumper on each side of the winch. So finishing the bumper, and mounting the lights, and I'm done.....for now.:rolleyes:

xjjeepthing
03-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Nice, But its never done.

Mudderoy
03-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Speaking of never done, what's the deal with the headlight? It looks non-stock. I'm going to be losing two driving lights with the new bumper, so I may need to upgrade my silverstars to something that will sterilize pets and small children.

firehawk
03-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Speaking of never done, what's the deal with the headlight? It looks non-stock. I'm going to be losing two driving lights with the new bumper, so I may need to upgrade my silverstars to something that will sterilize pets and small children.

They are a set of AutoPal headlights with SilverStar bulbs in them. If I want to sterilize anyone I just flip on the two KC lights. Two 130 watt bulbs of pure daylight!:thumbsup: The LAST thing you want to do is NOT dim your headlights for me!:eek:

DETOURS
03-29-2009, 01:35 PM
I see, they do look longer than antisipated, almost could have left them the stock length.....

Nice work though! :thumbsup:

firehawk
03-29-2009, 01:43 PM
almost could have left them the stock length.....

Nice work though! :thumbsup:

That's kind of what I was thinking. I haven't figured out how if the WP bumper sticks out 2+" farther. :confused:

But hey, ain't nuthin but a thang.:rotfl2: Better to be TOO long than too short...I always say!:smiley-dance011:

DETOURS
03-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Agreed......dunno, are you still 4" off the front??

This is a pic of standard fabrication, bumper sitting in stock location using stock bumper bracketry, 2" off the grill area....

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/corncrawler/xjbb01xxxxx.jpg

firehawk
03-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Agreed......dunno, are you still 4" off the front??

Yeah I just measured it. I measured the mounts and rewelded them back on 2 1/16" from the inside of the front of the bumper, which is were they were to start with.

Mudderoy
03-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Take some pictures of the whole rig with the winch and bumper on. That blue is really pretty. All you other pictures you have mud all over it.

I gotta go change my avatar. Spanky says it bring him down, if you know what I mean.

firehawk
03-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Ok I'll take some tomorrow. It's a REAL shit'ty day here. It's rained and snowed.

Mudderoy
03-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Sunny and 70's here. I've got 10 things to do to the Jeep, and if I manage to change the oil today I'll be surprised. :mad0090:

firehawk
03-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Hell just wait until 0'oclock. That's when you seem to do everything else!:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
03-29-2009, 06:11 PM
So sad, but true.

DETOURS
03-29-2009, 06:32 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/corncrawler/indexbana.jpg

firehawk
03-29-2009, 06:38 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/corncrawler/indexbana.jpg

I don't know if I want to even TOUCH this one....ok I will:rolleyes:

Train 'em early!:rotfl2:

Mudderoy
03-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Yes, I agree. Fruit is an important part of any daily diet.

Melissa
04-02-2009, 10:31 PM
I don't know if I want to even TOUCH this one....ok I will:rolleyes:

Train 'em early!:rotfl2:

:headshake::headshake::D

Mudderoy
04-05-2009, 08:30 PM
The red decal is fine. Appreciate the offer though. I think it turned out great, exactly what I wanted.:thumbsup: As I've said I didn't want a big heavy winch bumper, but I wanted to mount up a winch. The rest of the Jeep is too close to stock looking, and I figured a winch bumper would be a little over the top.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/kbharbison/Backbone022.jpg

Everything went about as I planned. I moved the bumper mounts out 5/16" on both side and it still wasn't enough. Thank God I had only tacked them in place. I think I can cut at least 1", maybe an 1 1/4" off the d-ring mounts, and redrill the holes for the d-rings. That way they won't be so long, and the d-ring will be closer to where the mount is welded on. That should solve any problem with them bending if pulled from the side.

There is room to mount up my lights on the bumper on each side of the winch. So finishing the bumper, and mounting the lights, and I'm done.....for now.:rolleyes:

I heard a rumor that you've done more. Where's the pictures? ;)

firehawk
04-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I heard a rumor that you've done more. Where's the pictures? ;)

It's not a rumor.:D I remounted the KC driving lights, and front skid plate. I'll get some pic's up tomorrow.:thumbsup:

I still need to get the bumper back off and have it sandblasted, but it dosen't look all that bad so it'll have to wait.

Melissa
04-05-2009, 09:26 PM
It's not a rumor.:D I remounted the KC driving lights, and front skid plate. I'll get some pic's up tomorrow.:thumbsup:

I still need to get the bumper back off and have it sandblasted, but it dosen't look all that bad so it'll have to wait.

I'm holding you to that, I really want to see it.:thumbsup:

firehawk
04-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Well since I aim to please, here's a pic of the Jeep.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/kbharbison/100_1747.jpg

Mudderoy
04-06-2009, 06:33 PM
That looks nice. Quit being so stingy with the pictures. Throw in a side shot.
Drive that car into a ditch and winch it out, again get a picture! :rotfl2:

Have you thought about painting the d-shackles? I did mine in red, dark blue would look good on yours, or black.

firehawk
04-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Drive mommy's NEW car into a ditch???? Are you insane??? Not only would I not EVER get anymore, she'd take back some she's already given! And yeah, she'd figure out how to do that!!!:rotfl2:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/kbharbison/100_1746.jpg

I'm not stingy, it just takes me about 5-10 minutes to download a pic to Photobucket, and post it up. :boohoo: A BIG pita!!! For instance, I started downloading the pic for this post at 7:42, I posted the pic up at 7:54.

BTW, is there a way you could allow us the option to upload pic's directly from our computers to threads like we can for an avatar?

Hey...work on it!:p

firehawk
04-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Here's a side shot.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/kbharbison/Haspin024.jpg

Mudderoy
04-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Drive mommy's NEW car into a ditch???? Are you insane??? Not only would I not EVER get anymore, she'd take back some she's already given! And yeah, she'd figure out how to do that!!!:rotfl2:

I'm not stingy, it just takes me about 5-10 minutes to download a pic to Photobucket, and post it up. :boohoo: A BIG pita!!! For instance, I started downloading the pic for this post at 7:42, I posted the pic up at 7:54.

BTW, is there a way you could allow us the option to upload pic's directly from our computers to threads like we can for an avatar?

Hey...work on it!:p

lol tell her it's ok, it's for a photo shoot!

Oh I forgot, you're on dialup. Here I was thinking you were a big tease and there you go having a logical reason. Well you gave us the money shot anyway. I think I'm going to start taking donations for the board so we can bring you into the lates 90's and buy you high speed Internet. And don't tell me you are cheap. I saw the pictures of your "toys". :rotfl2:

Yes, you can upload directly to the site. It's below the posting window, managing attachments. The image will appear as a thumbnail.

firehawk
04-06-2009, 07:09 PM
For the record, I'm "looking" into SBC DSL. God, I'll be in internet heaven!!!

Melissa
04-06-2009, 07:19 PM
I tell ya be like me and steal wireless internet. I bought a Belkin N wireless USB adapter wich cost about $50 installed it and now I run off of someone else wireless signal, something called Arbogast, works great! :rotfl2:

BTW, your rig is looking awsome

Mudderoy
04-06-2009, 07:22 PM
For the record, I'm "looking" into SBC DSL. God, I'll be in internet heaven!!!

Hey did spank "D" tell you about that factory skid? He told me to remove mine and it would save me 20(?) pounds.

I'm going to remove it because of the weight of my bumper and the winch later.

firehawk
04-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Hey did spank "D" tell you about that factory skid? He told me to remove mine and it would save me 20(?) pounds.

I'm going to remove it because of the weight of my bumper and the winch later.

No he never said anything about it. I got mine from the Pic A Part since mine didn't have one. I got it to help keep water from getting up into the alternator.

? I have is, why would Jeep put the alternator on the bottom? The Grand Cherokee I believe has it up on top.

N1TZU
06-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Hey firehawk, I just read through this thread and the backbone and bumper look freakin awesome.....NICE JOB.....Bob....

firehawk
06-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Hey firehawk, I just read through this thread and the backbone and bumper look freakin awesome.....NICE JOB.....Bob....

Thanks for the compliment!:D If you are wanting a winch, but don't/can't afford a winch bumper, Detour's BackBone is the way to go. I believe it's the only way to go.

N1TZU
06-04-2009, 06:42 PM
As a matter of fact Kim,(correct me on your name if I'm wrong) I've done a lot of research on all the mods that I've done so far to my jeep, I AGREE WITH YOU !! The bumper components that Mark has is the way to go. Looks like top shelf fabrication ,great design idea and I like being able to keep my stock bumper look. His pricing is great. I should be receiving the tailbone system very so from Mark (Great guy to talk to by the way.) Ones that is done I'm going to order the backbone system to set up the 8000 lb winch that I've had for I think close to a year. Looking forward to these next two mods to do to my jeep. Like I said yours looks great. Bob.....

Mudderoy
06-04-2009, 07:08 PM
My original plan was to get a backbone system, tailbone wasn't an option when I got my detours rear bumper.

After a front end collision and then a rear collision, I bit the bullet and got full bumpers. :rotfl2:

DETOURS
06-04-2009, 08:19 PM
The BackBone was a result of years of "Why the heck does it have to cost so much to"....blablabla, while on the trail...........and folks were right, just create the winch mount around the bumper so the interact with each other, same goes for the TailBone........nuthin but affordable fun!!! :popcorn:

Of course sometimes with soo much fun, a line forms and people start throwing vegitables at me..........must be doing something right!!:smiley-whacky119:

Mudderoy
06-04-2009, 08:22 PM
The BackBone was a result of years of "Why the heck does it have to cost so much to"....blablabla, while on the trail...........and folks were right, just create the winch mount around the bumper so the interact with each other, same goes for the TailBone........nuthin but affordable fun!!! :popcorn:

Of course sometimes with soo much fun, a line forms and people start throwing vegitables at me..........must be doing something right!!:smiley-whacky119:

But why wasn't there already one on the market?

DETOURS
06-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Cuzzz no one thought to think like Spock??

Logically?

firehawk
06-04-2009, 09:36 PM
As a matter of fact Kim,(correct me on your name if I'm wrong) I've done a lot of research on all the mods that I've done so far to my jeep, I AGREE WITH YOU !! The bumper components that Mark has is the way to go. Looks like top shelf fabrication ,great design idea and I like being able to keep my stock bumper look. His pricing is great. I should be receiving the tailbone system very so from Mark (Great guy to talk to by the way.) Ones that is done I'm going to order the backbone system to set up the 8000 lb winch that I've had for I think close to a year. Looking forward to these next two mods to do to my jeep. Like I said yours looks great. Bob.....

Yep, you got the name right....THANKS DAD!!!:D

I WILL get a Tailbone as soon as I can. Might take a little longer than I want though.....bills.....twin 17 year olds....one is definetly looking at college.:smiley-talk024::smiley-gen165:

I now have a Tomken rear bumper/tire carrier, and have decided I want to go back to a stock bumper. IMO, the Tailbone makes as much sense as the Backbone does, especially if your XJ is mainly a DD like mine is.

_StationWagon_
06-05-2009, 11:29 AM
So how are you liking the WP bumper? I've been looking at them for a while now, I just can't seem to talk myself into pulling the trigger on one. I've seen a cuple up close & they're not that beefy, but better than stock.

firehawk
06-05-2009, 11:59 AM
So how are you liking the WP bumper? I've been looking at them for a while now, I just can't seem to talk myself into pulling the trigger on one. I've seen a cuple up close & they're not that beefy, but better than stock.

I like the WP bumper. I knew it wasn't a real HD bumper when I bought it. I wanted to get rid of the stock one, and liked the fact the WP extended back to protect the lower edge of the front fender. Being a DD, I don't plan on bouncing it off of stuff anyway.

quadracer0387
06-05-2009, 03:27 PM
nice work... looks great