PDA

View Full Version : 4wds to be picked on - New Zealand

cantab27
05-03-2011, 09:51 PM
so it seems they cant get enough money off the boy racers they are gonna start picking on us:bang:..sad someone died in said crash but how was the bloke driving ,,
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4948888/Accident-SUV-driven-illegally..

this is what we go through,,mine has a cert....:smiley-gen165:

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/warrants-certifications/modifying.html

bluedragon436
05-03-2011, 10:00 PM
See don't agree that they should all be picked on, or taken off the road... but def. think that they should be inspected for serviceability and safety if nothing else for the other drivers on the road, and unsuspecting passengers in that vehicle... Chances are the young lady who was killed in this incident, probably didn't even know that the SUV had been green stickered... I know I have seen some down right unsafe stuff on our roads as well... and I am all for you putting your own safety in jeopardy on your own land or whatever... but you bring that contraption out on the roads with me and my family driving around in a safely built vehicle... and put us in harms way... that pisses me off... on top of that then the cops start harassing all lifted or modified vehicles, because of one douche!!

msmoorenburg
05-04-2011, 06:45 AM
Your screwed :rolleye0012: GREEN STICKERED :frog:

rguignard
05-04-2011, 08:51 AM
it sucks that someone died but that is f uped its even says SHE was not wearing her seatbelt so how is that the trucks fault. im glade we dont have to go through that here. im with james on one thing i have seen some real unsafe things on the roads. wayne what do they do when they ck your jeep out ? do they put it through a obstacle coarse ? what do they do to see if it ok to drive on the road ?

Mudderoy
05-04-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm ashamed of our redneck neighbors down under. What the hell? These people are turning into Californians! :sign0181:

4.3LXJ
05-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Hey, watch it or I will start with the Texas jokes.

4.3LXJ
05-04-2011, 10:11 AM
This does bring up a good point though. There are some unsafe mods done. One of the things I don't like is when people advocate soft lifted suspensions with no sway bars. It makes a lot of vehicle roll. Now I know that not all lifted rigs roll badly, but I have seen on many forums where people just say, I will live with it and I will be OK. Also, in this article posted by Wayne, the person killed did not have a seat belt on. Seat belts are a must, not some inconvenience.

Mudderoy
05-04-2011, 10:20 AM
This does bring up a good point though. There are some unsafe mods done. One of the things I don't like is when people advocate soft lifted suspensions with no sway bars. It makes a lot of vehicle roll. Now I know that not all lifted rigs roll badly, but I have seen on many forums where people just say, I will live with it and I will be OK. Also, in this article posted by Wayne, the person killed did not have a seat belt on. Seat belts are a must, not some inconvenience.

This all goes back to the argument about personal responsibility. I understand why I can have a nuclear reactor powering my Jeep because it would be a danger to so many people, however if I want to lift my rig and someone wants to ride with me it's our business not the governments.

4.3LXJ
05-04-2011, 10:25 AM
This all goes back to the argument about personal responsibility. I understand why I can have a nuclear reactor powering my Jeep because it would be a danger to so many people, however if I want to lift my rig and someone wants to ride with me it's our business not the governments.

That is true, but there is also a line crossed somewhere that makes an unsafe rig a danger to me. I am not advocating the strict laws of Mass, but there are some things out there that just shouldn't be. That is why we have lift laws in all states. It is a reasonable approach.

steph74
05-04-2011, 10:34 AM
+1 Freedom of putting yourself in danger is one thing.... when you lose control of your vehicle on the road, there are other people around and most of the time, they are the one leaving the life on the pavement...

I am not opposed to having the vehicles checked for safety.... ALL vehicles because race NO whatever powered cars should not be allowed on the streets either ;)

Mudderoy
05-04-2011, 10:45 AM
That is true, but there is also a line crossed somewhere that makes an unsafe rig a danger to me. I am not advocating the strict laws of Mass, but there are some things out there that just shouldn't be. That is why we have lift laws in all states. It is a reasonable approach.

Well I used an extreme example, but that is what I was saying. When it becomes unsafe for the general public, but the law should be slanted to personal rights not public rights.

hookedonxjs
05-04-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm ashamed of our redneck neighbors down under. What the hell? These people are turning into Californians! :sign0181:
Yeah but you guy's got jeese james now and we got mcconaughey and zellwiger now. There goes your neighborhood now.
Yeah californians were the best drivers at one time and one of funniest accidents I saw was between an asian and hispanic, both could not speak english and they were yelling at each other untill the cops got there and then he had to call for translators. It was just another ho hum day working in compton.
The NZ cops would have a feild day with all the "bigfoots" here. And when your vehicle is green stickered here it mean's that your dirtbike or trail rig has been approved for OHV "off hiway vehicle" dirtbikes must be 4 stroke and have spark arresters the only 4x4 that might not be stickerable would be an old zuk sammy with the 2 stroke engine.

jccatt
05-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Queensland has always been bad for mods, werse than NZ. But we dont have wof. Only when the car is sold. It sounds like a news media trial. Noy condoning undafe mods though, must connect my sway bar dooh

cantab27
05-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Your screwed :rolleye0012: GREEN STICKERED :frog:

:smiley-laughing021:,,oh man ya been waiting for a shot like that....

i don't mind at all, make them legal of don't use them on the road...even comps when ya can throw ya 4wd has to have a wof and registered same with club runs................:cop::drinking:

LizardRunner
05-05-2011, 08:25 AM
The part about it being the vehicles fault? So guns kill people thinking seems to be seeping into the rest of what stupid humans do. That is sad. Making sure your vehicle is safe for on road use, Yes please. :pray:

Here in Arkansas they did away with "saftey inspections" about 15 years ago, it's amazing how many cars, truck etc. are now out there looking like they will fall apart or they leave a blue cloud that hangs in the air for a mile behind the offending vehicle, or they have head lights so out of adjustment that they have one pointing at the road right in front of the tires and one pointing up at the sky. some of the lifted vehicles here are so high that they would roll over the car the rear ended. I've seen some that look like dumb and dumber built them and some that would do great in a monster truck event. It's the ones that dumb and dumber built I worry about. :out:

Seat belts are just part of driving safe. I'm setting up my rig for 6 point harnesses mostly because those keep your arse inside the vehicle better than a single over the shoulder "factory" system.:driving:

4.3LXJ
05-05-2011, 10:44 AM
I rolled my first XJ, but it was kind of a POS anyway. Too worn out. I was just getting it fixed up when I lost the brakes in a 15 mph curve. It is surprising how well the shoulder and lap belts work in these, and how much punishment that unibody will take.

cantab27
06-09-2011, 04:02 PM
well latest rumor is i now have to be in a club...with a singed bit of paper from the club pres to say i do use my 4wd for um 4wding...this will last a year ..... wtf...means my mrs will have to join a club so she can do shop runs....

4.3LXJ
06-09-2011, 04:04 PM
You must be kidding. Somebody must have some political pull somewhere. Then do't even do that in CA

jccatt
06-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Most clubs have family membership

LizardRunner
06-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Ok, so tony needs to send you a letter saying your in the XJTalk 4x4 club and we wheel all around the globe.

Firemanray
06-09-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm not condoning driving unsafe vehicals on the road but this is a major government intrusion. At least they haven't gotten that bad here in the states.

4.3LXJ
06-09-2011, 07:01 PM
The problem is though that when the government gets involved, any modification becomes unsafe because it is the easy way out and requires no intelligence or common sense.

cantab27
06-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Most clubs have family membership

thats the thing, not that keen to join a club.............nomad:D

bigjim350
06-09-2011, 07:29 PM
But your already part of the amazing green jeep club....

cantab27
06-09-2011, 07:31 PM
true dat.......waiting for a link to be posted ,then will post it up in here....stay tuned

LizardRunner
06-10-2011, 08:52 AM
thats the thing, not that keen to join a club.............nomad:D

Hmmmm well there is a club named the California Nomads. maybe you need to start your own KIWI 4x4 Nomads, then write your own letter as president stating what the silly government folks want?