PDA

View Full Version : Where should I stick my camera?

Mudderoy
04-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Ok steady!

Most of the activity is in the front of the house. Naturally the front door was a good spot to have a security camera. I originally had two of the three cameras up high but found moving the "FrontGarage" down lower was preferable.

Naturally I wanted a camera in the back yard, however very little "if anything" goes on there. Also I found that with the fixed lens in these IR cameras I would need at least two cameras to really cover the back yard. Having the camera up high is easy but due to the design of the house the back door area would be well concealed.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/montage3.jpg

Since I only have a four port video card I am limited. I have been thinking about moving the back yard camera to another location.

One thought was to have a nice sky shot, so when there is bad weather I could see lighting, wind blowing the trees etc...

I could move it to the front and zoom in so that passing cars would be visible and even get license plate numbers from them. Having it zoomed in would allow me to trigger recordings based on pedestrian traffic as well. Might be nice to see who is walking up and down the street. I've never been a thief but I would suspect you want to size up the places you may be breaking into by either driving by them, or better just taking a walk and looking around.

So my question is this. Where should I stick my camera? :penguin:

4x4Dalton
04-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Well before Jim says it...lol. But seriously Tony I like the Sky shot idea. Would be cool to see IMO.

hookedonxjs
04-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Nice yard mudder. What sucks is that you need it in the first place. I like the sky cam too like dalton. In the early 90s My friend had a web page called ceilingcam. com and It had his ceiling on 24 7 that's it. Without saying he was always cool to hang with.

Firemanray
04-25-2011, 05:17 PM
I don't know mudd, but that van in the background of the lower right picture looks kind of suspect to me.

LizardRunner
04-25-2011, 05:35 PM
:Dlooks like you have the front well covered. Survelence is normally points of entry first then perimiter next. a sky cam is always nice, can see which birds are about to bomb you with one of those.:p

Mudderoy
04-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Well before Jim says it...lol. But seriously Tony I like the Sky shot idea. Would be cool to see IMO.
Yeah the sky one is the "fun" one.

Nice yard mudder. What sucks is that you need it in the first place. I like the sky cam too like dalton. In the early 90s My friend had a web page called ceilingcam. com and It had his ceiling on 24 7 that's it. Without saying he was always cool to hang with.
I don't need them, I just always wanted to do the cameras to see outside where I lived. Finally did it. It's really cheap now, and I love being able to see when my girls get home from school, when delivery's are made, all from work.

I don't know mudd, but that van in the background of the lower right picture looks kind of suspect to me.
I don't like that van either. I think they work shift work as it is gone at night, but it belongs to a neighbor. I know this because I can review the security footage! :D

:Dlooks like you have the front well covered. Survelence is normally points of entry first then perimiter next. a sky cam is always nice, can see which birds are about to bomb you with one of those.:p
Yeah I tried going as cheap as I could at first. I need an 8 port card, or security DVR (the DVR is actually cheaper than using the LINUX server I have now). That would allow me to cover two cameras in the back yard, the 3 up front and one on each side of the house, and then one for inside the garage. You know in case someone jumped in there while the auto garage door was closing.

Of course if I was going with a DVR I'd just get the 16 port model and be done with it.

Boy that sky cam sounds fun, but it would be interesting to see the vehicles up close as well as the foot traffic.....

oderdene
04-25-2011, 09:24 PM
can you put camera on tree? wide angle camera can cover from road to door even more, but number plate recognition you need more expensive camera. Regular cameras (520TVL, 1/3" etc) can't even show human face clearly at a range of 4 or more yards.

prerunner1982
04-25-2011, 09:39 PM
I think the sky cam would be neat.... but think the zoom on traffic would be the better idea.

DETOURS
04-26-2011, 07:44 AM
Whatever you do, dont put it in your bedroom.:rotfl2:

saar
04-28-2011, 01:10 AM
Whatever you do, dont put it in your bedroom.:rotfl2:
:D

I like the sky idea too.
Saar.

hookedonxjs
04-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Is this a loaded question? I know what we would say on the jobsite!

Mudderoy
04-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Ok so I'm going to do the sky cam thing. I'll try to do that this weekend.

The camera will remain in the back but I'll be able to see the tops of the houses and tree line. I'm curious if the stars will be visible.

Mudderoy
05-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Before
http://xjtalk.com/images/special/montage3.jpg

After
http://xjtalk.com/images/special/security_camera_montage.jpg

I was wanting more sky but with the over hang of the roof...

I may need to build a bracket to move it further away from the wall it is attached to.

hookedonxjs
05-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Live feed would be cool mudd, would it be to much to ask for a pole cam? It's the latest fitness craze here.http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/djmatt2/Store%20Signs%20-%20Tall/GoldenPole.jpgI hope you pick up some poltergiest, shadow people, hibreds and a few ufos too. Keep us informed that kinda of stuff
is way cool!