PDA

View Full Version : anyone lookin for a winch?

muddeprived
06-13-2009, 06:16 AM
http://www.daveysjeeps.com/specials.html

There's a warn m-8000 for $400. Missing a controller though but good deal.

BlueXJ
06-13-2009, 07:19 AM
I want one of the Smittybilt one with the compressor but not the Warn. I think Warn is way overpriced and they also overprice their repair parts.

lowrider
06-13-2009, 08:50 PM
I thought warn was one that was dependable

BlueXJ
06-13-2009, 11:46 PM
I thought warn was one that was dependable

They are but way overpriced and in my experience they overheat quite easily.

My MileMarker will pull a lot longer before it gets hot than a Warn.

Replaced the motor on an 8275 Warn for near what I paid for my complete MileMarker. Sold the Warn and kept the MileMarker.

muddeprived
06-14-2009, 02:11 AM
They are but way overpriced and in my experience they overheat quite easily.

My MileMarker will pull a lot longer before it gets hot than a Warn.

Replaced the motor on an 8275 Warn for near what I paid for my complete MileMarker. Sold the Warn and kept the MileMarker.

The milemarkers are quite nice but made with "cheap" parts. Sometimes they last, sometimes they don't. I agree the MM's don't overheat that much. I used to pull with my 9k MM for minutes without stopping and the only issue was a dead battery. :) I replaced the MM motor twice in 3 years from major usage but everything else held up...except the exterior. It started rusting real bad. The thing about warn is they are made with better quality parts and don't corrode as bad as the cheaper winches but they DO have issues if not used correctly or not taken care of. I have a xrc8 now and i did a light pull to spool in the cable tight. It was a 4 minute pull that made the motor real hot. It's a cheap winch that gets the job done but you always get what you pay for.

I was really hoping Blue would buy that XRC10HD so i could take his MM12k but.....didn't happen soon enough :)

whowey
06-14-2009, 07:50 AM
I watched a brand new Milemarker 9k burn itself up on the first pull it made. It was a 80 foot vertical pull on a good degree hill. Yes.. my very used M8000 got hot. VERY hot.. but I wasn't sporting a $400+ doorstop on the front of my Jeep the rest of the day.

A buddy has one of the XRC8 winches... Every pull sounds like the thing is about to go bad. But it keeps working. If I was looking for a crap built Chinese winch I would certainly look at it. Its in the same class as the Harbor Freight, Rhinos, and the other Chinese built house brands.