PDA

View Full Version : Which Mig Welder?

Metlic53
04-24-2011, 11:51 AM
I am going to be taking a welding class in the summer. I am 19, what welder do yall suggest i get to start out with?

XJ4IV
04-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Hobart handler 140... great versatile welder and fairly economical as well... can work flux core OR with gas shield.
If I were to buy a MIG thats what I would have gone with, I used one once and it was nice and simple!

JENSSEN
04-24-2011, 02:19 PM
I sell Welders and I would highly suggest 230V over 110v the Hobarts are very nice welders but I would personally recommend the Millers welders like the 180 or 211 as they have steel drive roll assemblies and easily accept 200 amp guns or look at the Hobart Trek 180 for the ultimate 4x4 welder

Just my 2 cents

-Jenssen

hookedonxjs
04-24-2011, 03:50 PM
I grew up in the welding supply biz was 3rd generation And I would still be there had my dad moved his shop from compton. First do you have 220 volts? Are you planing to get 220 volts. Second what duty cycle, which is the amount of time out of an hour you can weld. Third do you plan on getting a spool gun for SS and aluminum. You can't go wrong with miller,hobart or lincoln. Don't concider esab or harbor frieght Esab is good stuff put parts are a rip off, harbor frieght we called disposable welders throw them away when they break. I personaly have miller, hobart got bought by miller 20 years back and I think they bought them so they could have a brand to sell at costco and homedepot. However they have identical models in most cases. Forth dealers only make about 20% on most welders so in most cases it will be hard to find a smokin deal. My dad sold out to praxair who was linde and they buy in such large volume that they often have the best deals. But for advice on model start your class first and ask the instructor some questions and get different opinions before buying any thing. My bro still sells and if you need any more advise or to see if your gettin ripped off just ask.

DETOURS
04-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Compare, then take a real good look at HTP, known as http://www.usaweld.com/ (USAWELD).....These machines out perform introductry big name machines, run equal to or better than midrange big name machines, offer phone tech support & repair support......also, numerous machines actually offer true copper windings.....

At the very least, get a free catalog and read their website.
I own the red 'L' brand, never again.........
The "H' brand is subpar now a days, they used to be good........
I've owned the 'M' brand in 220 form, no complaints........

HTP is not well known, I burn their wire & love it......very stand up company.

Metlic53
04-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks everyone for your useful posts. I'm not really looking for a welder that has gas connected to it. If i must have gas then i will get it but if not then i'd rather go that way. Reasons why i should use or not use a welder with a tank?

LizardRunner
04-25-2011, 10:49 AM
A MIG with regulator and tank will give you much cleaner welds. Anytime you are using flux, you will have lots of cleaning to do afterwards, spatter, crystalized flux left over are a pita in my opinion. I mostly use MIG for tacks and short stitches moving to TIG for full weld up. I also have a oxy/acet rig that is portable.

when I welded up oil storage tanks, after every few rods I had to break out the chipping hammer to do cleanup, spatter from having to use stick welders was the main problem with getting really good welds. This was on 1/2-3/4" plate steel and three passes were the min to get the weld done and pass the inspection.

4.3LXJ
04-25-2011, 11:00 AM
the welds are nicer looking and there is a lot less time involved because you don't have to chip the slag off. Once you do much welding with gas, you won't want to go back to stick or flux core unless you have to.

DETOURS
04-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Running flux core wire is an option with any machine, you'll rarely find anyone who considers themselves a welder using it though, it also costs more and wrecks consumables faster.......

I like the spot weld/stitch weld standard option on all those HTP's.

hookedonxjs
04-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Here's a cool mig tip for anyone with a 110 volt welder to get better penetration. Run innersheild with argon co2. It burns much hotter. Don't use a extension cord and if you do make sure it's large enough to carry the full current to the machine and plug it into the closest outlet to the fuse box.

Here is the reason that I have miller. It's made in here in appleton wis. USA there is a miller warehouse and repair facility localy. No matter how small your shop is and if for any reason your set up dose not run as advertised a real factory miller tech will come out to your shop and dial it in at no charge.
A 30 year old miller matic 200 still has parts available.

Lincoln invented mig and has some of the best drive systems but unless your general motors or boeing they will not come out to your shop. And if you had a customer that is that big they would say that you can't meet your customers needs and sell direct.

The main difference between hobart and miller is hobart is more for the hobbiest and miller is more industrial. The hobart has preset click switch controls and plastic parts in the drive system miller all metal drive system and sweeping controls.

What ever you decide make sure that you can drive to get it serviced or for warranty and to get parts and you don't have to mail order parts or ship for warranty issues.

DETOURS
04-26-2011, 08:01 AM
All good except..........Your welder typically wont fail while under warranty, unless "I" own it........my bar aluminum connection in my Lincoln (brand new) burned through the 1st day I owned it........this is a 220 machine I 'just' purchased due to my aging Hobart smoked.......being a shop, I cant have down time, the Lincoln was purchased hours after the Hobart failed......the dealer I purchased it from said "Bring it up, I'll see if I can fix otherwise we'll send it out for repair"................ummm, ya.....like I need more 'F'ing' down time playing the repair game with a brand new machine.......I made the repair myself out of frustration.

Depending on your area, expect warranty, repair work to take about a week or so......this has been my experiance over the last 25 years.

Hell, I sent my ESAB plasma out for repairs, declined the $500.00 repair estimate, it came back dented & screws missing from the external housing cover.....

Just my 2 cents concerning outside repair & warranties..........:headbag:

Metlic53
04-26-2011, 10:51 AM
thanks for all the info guys, alot more info than i got from other forums. when i figure out which one is right for me i'll post it up :D

LizardRunner
04-26-2011, 11:01 AM
man those HTP rigs are sweet. I think I have found my new TIG. The miller I was going to get is far more money for same features and construction.

DETOURS
04-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Yes, more for less and a quality product!!