PDA

View Full Version : Post necessary to chat

Mudderoy
04-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Some of you may remember that we had a 100 post requirement before you could join in on chat.

Many of you thought hard and posted to you could get the privilege of chatting, thank you!

This came out of the concern that if people could CHAT they wouldn't post.

It really hasn't been an issue up until about two weeks ago when posts started falling off and the number of visitors fell off as well.

The moderators and admins (also guilty of this) have reminded you that chat is for fun, and not help, or requests for help.

When you help someone in chat it's nice and fast, but NO one else benefits from the help. If it was posted then others could find this information (usually through a Google search) and they will visit and may join and post.

Without posts we are dead.

To remind everyone that posting is king around here I have turned on a mandatory 1 thread post per 24 hour period before you can send a message in chat.

Admins, Moderators, Vendors, and Subscribers are all immuned from this requirement.

I hate placing restrictions on you guys, but I hope you understand. I think we all have a lot to say so just take a minute and post it! :patriot:

Mudderoy
04-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Oh and as posts and visitor counts go back to normal I'll look at removing the restriction.

Firemanray
04-17-2011, 12:48 PM
You've been running this sight a long time so I'm sure you know all the stats. One thing I've noticed on every forum that I've been a member of is that come spring and summer the number of posts drop significantly. I find myself posting less because of my busy schedule, however, I also am disapointed when I do have time to read and there are very few new posts to look at. Some times I just don't have any thing of value to add so I just lurk. All in all your new restriction sounds fair enough to me. Thanks for running this great site!

hookedonxjs
04-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Mudder unless you live in texas not many people will know that xjtalk is a cherokee forum when they see the sticker on your rig. Have you ever thought about a icon on the sticker to inform others that know them as "cherokee" only? Well anyway I hope my post can make a difference. If you ever want to do a show on xj audio just ask, but you gotta say pretty please.

Mudderoy
04-17-2011, 04:33 PM
You've been running this sight a long time so I'm sure you know all the stats. One thing I've noticed on every forum that I've been a member of is that come spring and summer the number of posts drop significantly. I find myself posting less because of my busy schedule, however, I also am disapointed when I do have time to read and there are very few new posts to look at. Some times I just don't have any thing of value to add so I just lurk. All in all your new restriction sounds fair enough to me. Thanks for running this great site!

Thanks Ray. We had a success with xjtalk and a fail with wranglertalk. So I maybe just being gun shy when I see the posts drop off here.

You guys all keep your thoughts coming in.

4x4Dalton
04-17-2011, 05:16 PM
I understand 100% Tony. xjtalk is a great site and I know you dont wanna see it go by the wayside. :thumbsup:

bluedragon436
04-17-2011, 07:30 PM
I am pretty sure he isn't the only one that doesn't want to see xjtalk go to the wayside... know I don't want to see it go downhill, and def. not go away completely!! Alright fine, I admit it... I'm addicted to xjtalk!! LOL... Awesome site you have Tony, and I fully understand the need for restrictions every now and again!!

Mudderoy
04-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the support guys. I always worry about the changes. Thanks for understanding...

Mudderoy
04-18-2011, 05:44 AM
I've eased the restriction to members with less than 100 posts only.

All you have to do is 1 post and you can send messages in chat for 24 hours.

rguignard
04-18-2011, 09:41 AM
I've eased the restriction to members with less than 100 posts only.

All you have to do is 1 post and you can send messages in chat for 24 hours.

?????? isnt them the ones that you want to get there post up ? all of us post all the time

Mudderoy
04-18-2011, 12:58 PM
?????? isnt them the ones that you want to get there post up ? all of us post all the time

Well those with 100+ have already shown that they will join in and support the community with their thoughts and questions. I want to encourage without excluding the new members and the one's that don't join in very much. I figure if it's important for you to chat then you really don't have a problem jumping in on a chat as well.

hookedonxjs
04-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Mudder it was as dead as a door knob last night on the chat. Cantab posted the sleeping icon. I was on till 11:30 pm pst last night and almost went into my never ending story just so non 100 post people would have something to read. I would like to thank you once again for all the work and perseverence you have put into xjtalk. If therte is anything I can do please ask, for the info and frindships that are developed here are priceless.

Mudderoy
04-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Mudder it was as dead as a door knob last night on the chat. Cantab posted the sleeping icon. I was on till 11:30 pm pst last night and almost went into my never ending story just so non 100 post people would have something to read. I would like to thank you once again for all the work and perseverence you have put into xjtalk. If therte is anything I can do please ask, for the info and frindships that are developed here are priceless.

Yep I read that in chat, and did a little more digging into the stats. This is why I modified the requirements. Just 1 post and 24 hours of chat is as minimal of a requirement I can make without not having a requirement.

I understand that for many people that are new here they may be reluctant to post for fear of being called stupid or told to search. I'm hoping they find out quickly that they shouldn't have that fear here.

Mudderoy
04-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all the posts guys!!!! :rolleye0012:

xj4life2
04-18-2011, 07:59 PM
I have nothing important to add, I'm just trying to up my post count !!!

Sorry Tony , I had to :)

Mudderoy
04-18-2011, 08:01 PM
I have nothing important to add, I'm just trying to up my post count !!!

Sorry Tony , I had to :)

Here's your sign... :nothingtoadd:

prerunner1982
04-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Tony.. no worries. I thought the requirement for all members (except those you excluded) was fair enough. I think you have done well with XJtalk.com and have made it a forum that is ahead of the curve.

I to have noticed the recent lack in activity on the site, but agree it may be due to the weather changing and people spending more time outside. Hopefully they are working on their XJs but most likely doing yard work.

Have you plotted the activity of the site over the last couple years to see if there are consistent periods of lower activity?

Thanks again for the great site....

xj4life2
04-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Here's your sign... :nothingtoadd:

ooooooooohhhhhhh I always wanted my very own sign , Thanks Tony i shall cherish it always !!!!!!

XJ4IV
04-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Some of you may remember that we had a 100 post requirement before you could join in on chat.

Many of you thought hard and posted to you could get the privilege of chatting, thank you!

This came out of the concern that if people could CHAT they wouldn't post.

It really hasn't been an issue up until about two weeks ago when posts started falling off and the number of visitors fell off as well.

The moderators and admins (also guilty of this) have reminded you that chat is for fun, and not help, or requests for help.

When you help someone in chat it's nice and fast, but NO one else benefits from the help. If it was posted then others could find this information (usually through a Google search) and they will visit and may join and post.

Without posts we are dead.

To remind everyone that posting is king around here I have turned on a mandatory 1 thread post per 24 hour period before you can send a message in chat.

Admins, Moderators, Vendors, and Subscribers are all immuned from this requirement.

I hate placing restrictions on you guys, but I hope you understand. I think we all have a lot to say so just take a minute and post it! :patriot:
am I muned???

XJ4IV
04-19-2011, 09:46 PM
I would need to agree with prerunner about trending for last year year to date... I used to be in management for a retail store and we had numbers that we reflected LY YTD and I cant recall EXACTLY how it was numbered but the DAYS coincided meaning this years friday was a friday from last year rather than january 12 this year and january 12 last year... the day of the week has a BIG impact on progress and I for one know that with the weather change I have been able to get out some more and enjoy the weather and also yard work in the evening and what not...
Either way Im VERY glad that XJTalk is being a success and I look forward to being around when it DOES hit the number one cherokee site on the web~!

Jamie Lynn
04-28-2011, 08:21 PM
I was wondering what that was all about seeing how I dropped the face of the earth for awhile...and I don't look at it as a restriction..just a way to help improve the site.