hookedonxjs
04-16-2011, 06:04 PM
What is a Hurdy gurdy man?

4.3LXJ
04-16-2011, 08:24 PM
That's old music there

hookedonxjs
04-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Here's a hint. FYI.Jimy page on guitar and john paul jones on bass.

http://youtu.be/3lKCUuyojDI

XJ Rat
04-18-2011, 06:01 AM
Guess it helps if you were a teenager in the 70's. :D

hookedonxjs
04-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Guess it helps if you were a teenager in the 70's. :D

Yes and no The song is from the sixties. I did have hair almost to my a$$ back in 74. Even nerds had hair down to their shoulders.

jccatt
04-18-2011, 03:33 PM
I had purple platform shoes too :-)

Punisher
04-21-2011, 06:14 AM
"Hurdy Gurdy Man" is a song by the Scottish musician Donovan. It was written and recorded in early 1968 and released in May as a single and gave name to the album The Hurdy Gurdy Man,

I know this as my grandmother's and my mom is scottish....

but,
I was born in 72 but damn i wish i was a teen's them years... bet the weed was great back then too... LOL...

4.3LXJ
04-21-2011, 10:07 AM
but,
I was born in 72 but damn i wish i was a teen's them years... bet the weed was great back then too... LOL...

Actually it wasn't. A lot of the drugs then, including some of the weed would give you what we called a bad trip and you would freak out. Most of the time there was someone there that was straight just in case.

steph74
04-21-2011, 10:16 AM
o tempora, o mores....

I dig this kind of music...

xj4life2
04-21-2011, 12:09 PM
I was there and I can say it wasn't all that great. I was in So Cal then and we had Hippies living at Knotts Berry Farm so it was tough to even go there. Thats when they put the fences up and started charging to get in , nominal at that time but still a charge.
Dope was scary and killed alot of people, free love ruined alot of familys, I could go on but there's a different aspect for ya.

hookedonxjs
04-21-2011, 02:13 PM
I was there and I can say it wasn't all that great. I was in So Cal then and we had Hippies living at Knotts Berry Farm so it was tough to even go there. Thats when they put the fences up and started charging to get in , nominal at that time but still a charge.
Dope was scary and killed alot of people, free love ruined alot of familys, I could go on but there's a different aspect for ya.
Payless your from BP then. I lived on malvern and beach after HS and we partied in that corn field. One day me and my friends got so wasted we got lost in it for 3 hours. But one thing for sure I was too young to be a hippie we were into galm and hard rock bands like bowie,newyork dolls,lou reed,trex,zep,aerosmith,sabbath ect. My girlfriend worked at knotts and I got in free and hung out at cloud nine. Maybe you remember when the dude that jumed out of the parachute ride, he landed about 20' from me. All over some chick. Any way your right about him bein scotch but it's a song is not the answer.

xj4life2
04-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Actually from Cypress (moody and Orange) then Anaheim (Lincoln and Knott) then Fulerton (Chapman and Harbor). Ya I remember that dude jumpin , I wasn't there that night. I knew enough people that my trips to Knotts and Disneyland were always free. Good freind of mine from high school actually retired from Disney, 20+ years at the mouse house !!!

hookedonxjs
04-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Actually from Cypress (moody and Orange) then Anaheim (Lincoln and Knott) then Fulerton (Chapman and Harbor). Ya I remember that dude jumpin , I wasn't there that night. I knew enough people that my trips to Knotts and Disneyland were always free. Good freind of mine from high school actually retired from Disney, 20+ years at the mouse house !!!

I used to live on magnolia and cerritos and placentia and yorba linda blvd. But I grew up in LaMirada and carbon canyon in brea. We used to four by from our house in brea to the firestone BS camp and we hung out in the oil fields after school. We had a jump out there and I flatened my courier that I made into a prerunner bent upper and lower a arms My dad was pissed off man. I had a girlfriend that lived around knott and lincoln the one that worked at knotts. Did you go kart at the place on beach and lincoln. I got a taco mini bike there. Oh and what about chris and pitts man and mrs knotts chicken ummm. I got a stop I'm hungery now. And hey did you ever go to goodies in fullerton. I remember seeing social distortion there around 78 or 9. And oh yeah had a freind that blew glass at cinderellas castle put himself through college and became a dentist and had one of the first infomercials after he invented the teeth witening trays. Small world We might have gone to the same parties along the way.

xj4life2
04-21-2011, 03:02 PM
We went to the go cart place by Plow Boys in Hawiian Gardens on Lincoln by the 605fwy .Chris and Pitts not my Fav. Belile's on Beach (pink Bldg.) that was the place to go and as far as mrs Knotts Chicken dinner, I remember going there and she or Mr Knotts would be outside greeting people at the door the line would be huge and if ya to wait to long they would bring out corn bread muffins to keep ya happy while ya waited.

hookedonxjs
04-21-2011, 03:40 PM
I remember mrs knotts greeting, my grandfather sold welding supplies to walter knotts when it was a berry farm. My mom and dad would take me to ride the donkeys every sunday after church. There are still alot of cool people here but I got ran out(really said eph this place) of my first home in LaHabra by mexican gangs,drive by shootings graffiti and one night my dogs were freaking and there was 3 gang bangers sitting against my fence in the alley with gun shot wounds in there face and head alive, I called the police and me and the ex said let's get the eph out of here. I sold it to some border bros 3 people on the loan They had 12 people livin there and every other house in the nieghborhood even the nieghbors,They had goats chickens people crappin in the back yard and the ephn police wouldn't do a thing about it. Alot has changed and not for the better There are areas I won't go to any more but here in the temecula area it's still a nice place, if there was a costco near my place in AZ my girl friend could transfer to I would move there in a heart beat.

LizardRunner
04-21-2011, 03:53 PM
takes me back to college days. Now who knows what the hurdy gurdy instrument looks like? besides me that is. :smiley-laughing021:

4x4Dalton
04-21-2011, 04:00 PM
http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/texth/images/HurdyGurdy.jpg
here ya go Liz...lol ya aint the only old dog here bro.

LizardRunner
04-21-2011, 04:07 PM
:Dyou got it bro

xj4life2
04-21-2011, 04:20 PM
my cousins lived in La Habra on Roanoke off Leffingwell. That whole area has gone downhill in a hurry. i hate it there and rarely go back.Twice in 10 yrs i think.

hookedonxjs
04-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Ok this polls over now. You guys are just to damn smart or old more than likely probably both.http://youtu.be/SmNFRsA7LPg

XJ Rat
04-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Knott's. I was a Rides Mechanic there from 1983 - 1988. My main ride was the Auto Race. But I spent a lot of time in Camp Snoopy and working on the Loop Trainer. I think Walter put up the fence in 1968 and started charging 25 cents admission to keep the hippies out of Ghost Town.

Born in Downey, grew up in Bellflower. My last apartment was in Cypress (Bloomfield and Ball Road).

Anyone remember the old Malibu Grand Prix in Fountain Valley? That place was a lot of fun.

We use to wheel in the old oil fields, I think they were in Santa Fe Springs or La Mirada.

4.3LXJ
04-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Knott's. I was a Rides Mechanic there from 1983 - 1988. My main ride was the Auto Race. But I spent a lot of time in Camp Snoopy and working on the Loop Trainer. I think Walter put up the fence in 1968 and started charging 25 cents admission to keep the hippies out of Ghost Town.

Born in Downey, grew up in Bellflower. My last apartment was in Cypress (Bloomfield and Ball Road).

Anyone remember the old Malibu Grand Prix in Fountain Valley? That place was a lot of fun.

We use to wheel in the old oil fields, I think they were in Santa Fe Springs or La Mirada.

We used to wheel out behind my house near Mulholland Drive. Nothing but jackrabbits and tarantulas then.

hookedonxjs
04-22-2011, 12:09 PM
We used to wheel out behind my house near Mulholland Drive. Nothing but jackrabbits and tarantulas then.
I used to go to mulholland drive to watch cafe racers bit the big one and hang out at the rockshop with my firends that had yamaha rd 250s and 400s. Did you ever go to motorcycle hill off beach and imperial behind tastee freeze? Did you ever go to blackstar and modjeska canyons out by saddleback and escape country? Socal was the place for all offroading up till 90 somthing. We still have azusa canyon and deep creek and johnson valley where king of the hammers is at, but everything around here has turned into a wildlife preserve. All that is left around here now are fireroads. I Lived in running springs for a while and one day we were riding our dualsports and some chick on a mtn bike with her boyfriend slid out in front of us so we had to stop and started telling us we were ruining the enviroment and causing errosion her boyfriend was very emmbaresed, I then told her to load her silly a$$ bikes on their volvo and ride in her polution she made coming up the mountain, as I pulled away I gave her the biggest face full of roost she flipped me off. Some people should lay off the koolaid the goverments gives them at the sierra club meetings.

4.3LXJ
04-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Those places were a little after my time. There was wheeling just behind the house. Large hills for hill climbs etc. But my dad did the driving, I was only ten at the time. But we were in a brand new subdivision on the edge of civilization and went back in the sage brush and oak trees in Woodland Hills