PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on tires

XJCrystallight
04-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Should I go for 33in KM2's or 34in LTB's?

Mudderoy
04-14-2011, 02:52 PM

Mine is primarily a daily driver, so I need long tread life. My 32" KM's have lasted 3 years. My next set of tires will be the 33" KM2 (only because the KM is not long available)

XJ Rat
04-14-2011, 04:57 PM

Get the LTB's if you want about the best off-road tire but you are willing to sacrifice most all of the on-road driveability of the KM2.

There is no way I would put a Super Swamper on my DD. They are expensive, very noisy, lousy on road traction, terrible in the rain, they will be worn out in 20k-25k miles...but they are great off-road. Oh, did I say they are noisy, too.

If your rig spends more than 50% of the time on the road, get the KM2s and do not look back.

I have Super Swampers on my XJ, but it is not my DD.

If you want the LTB's, do yourself a favor and ride in a rig that has them. If you are near West Houston, come ride in mine. But I only have the TSL Radials.

Alex Westen
04-14-2011, 05:03 PM
If your driving a trailer queen any tire you choose. If you DD your jeep I have had good results with ProComp Xterrain's. I have had my 31s on 1 ford exploder a jeep wrangler and 2 jeep cherokees over a 5 year time period and have 80% tread life left. I would trail ride on the weekends and Daily drive back and forth to work. Drive to Kalifornia and back and still have them on my 89 Cherokee. Now I have a Cherokee with 6 1/2 inches of lift and 31's just look funny or I would use them. When the tires I have on the 2000 run down witch are Dayton Timberline MT's I will go with the Xterrains or a set of the Xtreme All terrains.

Disclaimer. I am not a tire expert nor a tire dealer I fix Vending machines for a living. But I am an Expert on my Own opinion and the above statement is based on FNV and is just that an opinion.

xj4life2
04-14-2011, 05:25 PM
I have to agree with earlier comments as far as the swampers go, If its not street driven then your good but swampers lasted me a year as a daily driver/weekend warrior. As for the BFG's I have close to 45k on them and still good for the summer.Do your research and make a inteligent choice. Questions to ask:
1. how much off road vs. on road ?
2. conditions, snow, rain, ice, dirt, sand?
3. do I care about road noise or do I like it ?
4. Whats my budget ?
5. What is my wifes opinion ?? lol but ya gotta ask.
Think about it ,I'll bet you end up with a different tire than you thought would

XJCrystallight
04-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the input guys. My gut was to go with the KM2's in the first place since the jeeps going to be a DD but I thought I'd ask for opinions anyway

xj4life2
04-14-2011, 06:17 PM
So hows life in Cape Cod ??? Have Family in Situate.

XJCrystallight
04-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Oh really?? Nice. Yea the Cape is good. Quiet in the winter, crazy in the summer lol

toebee97
04-14-2011, 07:53 PM
I've been new tire shopping too, but I'm a poor boy so I can't afford KM2's even though that's what I want. Any suggestions for a cheapskate?

XJ Rat
04-15-2011, 07:19 AM
I've been new tire shopping too, but I'm a poor boy so I can't afford KM2's even though that's what I want. Any suggestions for a cheapskate?

Look at the Futura A/T offerings from Pep Boys. OK traction off-road, OK traction on road, very cheap, wear like iron (I had 40k miles on a set when I took them off my TJ, they were about 60% worn at that time).

modestmar00xj
04-15-2011, 12:49 PM
yeah i would go with the 33'! good work!

panama red
04-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Craigslist some used swampers. Then you wont care how long your $300+/- tires last. All my jeeps run swampers dd or not. Usually by the time my used tires wear out I am wanting to get a bigger size anyways.

hookedonxjs
04-18-2011, 05:19 PM
If the new general grabbers were availible I would have bought them. I went to king of the hammers and alot of people were using them. I like my regular grabbers alot and they work very good on hard packed terrain. It's all gonna depend on what type of terrain hard pack, sand, mud, rocks. Tighter tread pattern works better on hard pack wider tread patern mud and lose rocks. But in general the more agressive the tread the shorter the tire's life. Every tire also has different hardness of rubber. I've had the mud and a/ts, muds are noisy and don't handle as well on the hiway.

Hope that helps