PDA

View Full Version : Gauge cluster not working

97XJ Jeeper
06-11-2009, 09:22 PM
1997 XJ full gauge cluster (speedo, tach, ect.....)
I am not good at reading electrical diagrams so does anybody know where the ground is for the guage cluster is. Everything works except gauges and warning lights. I thinks it's a bad ground, anybody else had this problem? Thanks for any help!

Jeepster19
06-11-2009, 09:34 PM
My 98xj has done it several time,in fact twice today.There is a technical service bullitin out,I'm sure it covers several years.The solution to the problem is to remove the guage cluster and clean the contact points where the harness plugs into the back of it.For some reason both the connector and contact point on back of the cluster get corrosion.Cleaning the usually takes care of the problem.I am going to do mine this weekend when I change my evaporator core.I"ll let you know what happens.:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
06-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Mine go out when it is really cold out. I just bang on the dash and it comes back on. :smiley-laughing021:

97XJ Jeeper
06-12-2009, 11:18 AM
My 98xj has done it several time,in fact twice today.There is a technical service bullitin out,I'm sure it covers several years.The solution to the problem is to remove the guage cluster and clean the contact points where the harness plugs into the back of it.For some reason both the connector and contact point on back of the cluster get corrosion.Cleaning the usually takes care of the problem.I am going to do mine this weekend when I change my evaporator core.I"ll let you know what happens.:thumbsup:

That was the first thing I tried, the only thing I haven't tried is the ground.

97XJ Jeeper
06-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Mine go out when it is really cold out. I just bang on the dash and it comes back on. :smiley-laughing021:
I have tried that alot.:D

97XJ Jeeper
06-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Well I tried to follow the wires today and see if there was any breaks in the wire, but didn't have enough time to dig to far. I think I'm just gonna have to take apart the whole dash.

Mudderoy
06-15-2009, 11:32 PM
I thought I read somewhere that you can get to the instrument cluster by removing the center bezel and that exposes some screws that hold the cluster in??? 97+ I think.

97XJ Jeeper
06-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Ya thats right about removing the cluster, but I am going to have to follow the wires to find if there is a break or hopefully find the ground.

Mudderoy
06-17-2009, 03:05 AM
Ya thats right about removing the cluster, but I am going to have to follow the wires to find if there is a break or hopefully find the ground.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, since I haven't actually debugged the problem, but my feeling is the problem with MY cluster is where it plugs into the cluster. I hit the dash and the slight disconnect reconnects. I feel that all I need to do is remove the cluster and clean the contacts. If it was a serious issue I wouldn't be able to tap the dash above the cluster and have it instantly start working again for days.

In fact just removing and putting the cluster back may be enough for mine.

I just went back and re-read your original post. We may have different problems, so now I understand why you are looking into it deeper.

Jeepster19
06-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Since I pulled my guage cluster when I changed my evaporator everything has improved thus far.Only time will tell if cleaning the terminals on the back of the cluster has solved this issue.So far so good,I wish you luck on yours.i know how frustrating it can be!

97XJ Jeeper
06-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Since I pulled my guage cluster when I changed my evaporator everything has improved thus far.Only time will tell if cleaning the terminals on the back of the cluster has solved this issue.So far so good,I wish you luck on yours.i know how frustrating it can be!

Very frustrating :mad0090::sad0147::smiley-angry021: I ran out of gas again today, thats twice now. I ready to just to make my own gauge cluster with some AutoMeter gauges. :D

GoreXJ95
07-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Easy this happend to me like 3 days ago... where your gas and brake pedals are look under there... there should be a fuse box... look for fuse number 15 or 17 and if one of those are busted then replace it or you can pull all the fuses and check them if your still not sure... please reply on how things went

ekaybe
05-20-2014, 02:12 PM
Well, I'm having the gauge cluster problem now. Did any of y'all ever solve it?
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa169/shadowfighters123/Jeep/83711E7A-8655-48E4-B62E-B2AD162CFACB_zpsrqwygax0.jpg (http://s200.photobucket.com/user/shadowfighters123/media/Jeep/83711E7A-8655-48E4-B62E-B2AD162CFACB_zpsrqwygax0.jpg.html)

Well I just found this so never mind probably? lol

http://www.4wdmechanix.com/pdf-downloads/Jeep%20XJ%20Cherokee%20TSB%2008-15-99.pdf

4.3LXJ
05-20-2014, 03:44 PM
This is not a permanent fix, but smack the dash and it will come on. I am investigating this, but don't hold your breath for a fix. But I think that it will involve grounding the gauges to the dcm directly instead of through the body.

ekaybe
05-20-2014, 05:45 PM
This is not a permanent fix, but smack the dash and it will come on. I am investigating this, but don't hold your breath for a fix. But I think that it will involve grounding the gauges to the dcm directly instead of through the body.

I'm thinking that TSB is the fix....