PDA

View Full Version : Death wobble

hookedonxjs
04-11-2011, 11:56 PM
http://youtu.be/qKQOV6CBfag
cool video on death wobble cure.

PolarXJ
04-12-2011, 12:23 PM
It will cure death wobble that is associated with the track bar...there are other things that can cause death wobble.

hookedonxjs
04-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Your right polar I just posted it as a FYI maybe there should be a thread just for death wobble.

saar
04-16-2011, 03:07 AM
Hi,
In my case, Death wobble was solved after replacing the steering stabilizer and the bushings of the upper/lower control arms.
(Actually, I replaced the lower control arms, not just their bushings)
Saar.

Hot Garbage xj
02-27-2012, 01:41 AM
I had dw for over a year. I took it to ever shop in my town and only got one answer. I have no clue!! I replaced all my bushings even changed the whole f/axle because it had a little bend in it. I heard everything from steering stabliser to spring clamps tried every pinnion angle but nothing worked.
Intel I did a a long ARM upgrade than problem solved no dw or shimy

XJ Wheeler
02-27-2012, 09:23 AM
My death wobble started after my 4.5" lift was installed. The shop that put it on said they did an alignment, they did not. You can imagine a 4.5" and no alignment.:fail: Got a real alignment and bingo, no more wobble.

Don't just trust any shop.

dagr8tim
03-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Death Wobble can be track bars, tie rods, ball joints, or control arms.

Steering stabilizer's will only mask the issue. I fixed mine by replacing the tie rod and drag link.

4.3LXJ
03-01-2012, 11:33 AM
The video raised some valid points about the frame bracket. Mine was toast and since I had already replaced the axle side mount with one made from 1/4" plate, I did the same with the frame side and double gusseted it and use the same spherical rod ends I use in my three link suspension. Couldn't be happier with it. I had chased my death wobble around doing this and that and finally said screw it, I can do better that this. Now I can hit anything with my 8" lift and not even a suggestion of death wobble. Of course everything has to be tight also.

Natebub
03-18-2012, 08:29 AM
I had it to,,,,mine was the steering stabalizer. I pulled my old one off and it would move almost freely when you pushed it in by hand. Handles a whole lot better and I also bought new tires cause my other ones were worn slap out.

ALS XJ
03-18-2012, 09:34 AM
My 92 XJ hade some real sloppy steering/wander...new steering box, shaft, jcr offroad spacer, and hoses. Much better!

Thatsmydawg
11-02-2012, 10:46 PM
I have very bad DW too I've changed everything except for the control arm bushings an gearbox. I've adjusted the gearbox an it was fine. Few weeks later got DW again changed the tires, it was fine. Few months later bad death DW again. Everything is tight an I can't figure it out. What else can I check if I jack it up? I turn the wheel one way an the other an I don't see play in anything.

bigjim350
11-02-2012, 10:50 PM
When you say everything what is everything? Do your hub bearings have any play? Balljoints? Check control arm bushings as well

XJ Wheeler
11-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Also, checked your track bar bolts?

4.3LXJ
11-02-2012, 11:48 PM
How much lift do you have?

Thatsmydawg
11-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Ballpoints are tight. Did track bar, Steering stabilizer, all the rod ends, adjusted gearbox for play. How do I check the control arm bushings for play? Or is it more looking at them?

bigjim350
11-02-2012, 11:57 PM
For control arm bushings the best way to check is: Put it in 4wd low, and have somebody move it from forward to reverse while you looking at the bushings. The main ones id focus on are the upper control arm bushings on the axle end.

bluedragon436
11-06-2012, 09:00 PM
This thread is helpful to me as I will be doing some troubleshooting to figure out the cause of my DW while on R&R after this deployment... I'm hoping it isn't the bushings on the axle for the control arms.... as I really don't want to have to pay someone to replace them... Guess I'll get under there and have someone move the steering wheel back and forth and see ifany of the rod ends are shot, I know the bolts are good for the TB I've already checked those... Then have them do the 4lo forward to reverse approach and see if the axle shift any and check the control arm bushings...

prcjeep
11-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Ballpoints are tight. Did track bar, Steering stabilizer, all the rod ends, adjusted gearbox for play. How do I check the control arm bushings for play? Or is it more looking at them?

I went through EVERYTHING on my front end except the control arm bushings as well.

DW would come and go as i replaced things too. here's how i figured out that it was my frame side lower control are bushings:

With vehicle running(in park or with e-brake on), have someone else turn the steering wheel back and forth left and right while you are looking straight at the bushing's mounts. The play in my bushing allowed the control arm to move forward and backwords on the frame mount. After i replaced both frame side bushings on the LCA's, ive eleiminated DW, for now. Im sure at somedate in the future if I dont check up on things and keep them greased, DW will stsart coming back.

If you get a chance, go to your "user CP" and update your rig information so people know what equipment you have, e.g. lift size, manufacturer, tires, gearing, etc.

Hope you get it resolved so that blood will return to your hands and you can feel a bit more comfortable driving around.