PDA

View Full Version : cb boost

PEI-XJ
04-08-2011, 08:48 PM
hey everyone i have been thinking on trying to boost the power of my cb to get better range, what would be a good amp to get for it or am i able to change something in side

Mudderoy
04-08-2011, 09:04 PM
hey everyone i have been thinking on trying to boost the power of my cb to get better range, what would be a good amp to get for it or am i able to change something in side

If you haven't already done so, please read this post... :link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/showpost.php?p=73909&postcount=12)

Turns out at least one person didn't know this was illegal and it carries a $10k fine.

Paddletrucker
07-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Besides it being illegal, more often than not, you're going to be disappointed in the performance you'll get for the cost. It's NOT a bargain.

I'll bet if you spent about 50 bucks on a good noise canceling mic and make sure you have a good quality and properly tuned antenna, you'll spend a lot less money and you'll be happier with the performance.

Amps are a pain, too. Key that mic with power with the amp turned on and high SWR's and you'll damage your radio. SO, you need to learn to properly tune an antenna and buy an SWR meter to run power, anyway.

WhY not try Your rig out with a really good set up and no power first.

Everyone you talk to will thank you.

In my semi, I almost won't talk to guys running an amp. They all have plenty of power and sound like complete and total $h*t! Just about every amp I hear does one thing really good.....over modulate.

gary63
07-02-2011, 08:14 AM
try sideband you can buy a cb with sideband it is a cheap low tec. ham
there are some down sides you can only talk to 1 person at a time.

imehtoh
07-02-2011, 08:38 AM
I have been in to radios for 35 yrs.Talked all over the world.Had a general class license.I ran kenwoods ,icoms ,yeasus.Talked the freedom band 27.415>28.000mhz. I still talk there let my hamster license run out.Hamster r asses.I run a old school JCP 6247 250watt texas star .Sold all my eqt yrs ago ,got the heep needed a radio 4 the trail ,found the 6247 on cl for 50 was modified all the extra chs. so we r back on the air.....Have a blast taling skip.as far a being a sick bird there are not any fcc agents that police the cb/ freedom band freq. Pick u up a ssb rig and amp and have a good time talking...CQ CQ DX .OZ428 voice of the Blue Ridge Mtns of Va.

Paddletrucker
07-02-2011, 05:40 PM
ham there are some down sides you can only talk to 1 person at a time.

Not too sure what you mean here, but you can talk to as many people on a ham radio as listen, just like a CB. Last night, there were four of us talking to one another on our ham radios. You just have to follow some simple rules. No foul language, identify yourself with your call sign every ten minutes. Nothing to it.

All of the guys I truck with and myself use our ham radios almost exclusively now. For local chatting with other folks, I think the 2 meter amateur band is really good.

Most mornings, you'll find a whole community of hams up talking together on their way to work.

Also, with CB you get a few miles range under normal conditions. With our ham radios, my buddies and I talk simplex (radio to radio) up to 30 miles away. With the repeater system in our area, we can talk hundreds of miles. With the repeaters that have what's known as echo link, we talk around the world.

And as many hams as want to can join in on those conversations.

gary63
07-04-2011, 08:26 AM
ssb or single side band on a cb goes inbetween the chanels and you have to use a voice lock and tune in the person you are talking to.you can talk to people very far away I'm in Washington state and talked to people N.J. BOSTIN Englin if the condtions are right you shoot skip.