PDA

View Full Version : Wheeling what did YOU build or buy your jeep for ?

rguignard
04-02-2011, 07:54 AM
i posted this on a post i made and i thought it would a good thread

i got to thinking about this and i know we give yall shit about not wheeling very much and yall give us shit about mud :shocker: but if i had Gilmer http://www.barnwellmountainra.com/ or http://www.hiddenfallsadventurepark.com/ the place you had ROM at i would be there every other weekend just like i am at creekside http://creeksideedge.com/ . i built my jeep to use and use it i do. but i go wheeling to get away from my life just to have i little fun with my friends and to make more friends. if all i used my jeep 1 or 2 times a year i would build a wheeling only rig but i dd mine and i cant afford to go to a cool offroad park every weekend so i use it were i can. btw i do know you i ment you at rom 2010 and i would love to go wheeling with all of yall again

this was posted to one of are members that come over to see what we are all about from NAXJA and it is how a feel :thumbsup: so you tell me why have your XJ ?

Mudderoy
04-02-2011, 11:12 AM
I think everyone's heard me yammer several times, but I'll go first on this...

We got the Jeep Cherokee because we had 2 young daughters at the time and we felt that a four door Jeep would be better for us that a two door black Wrangler.

I wanted to lift it and put larger tires on it from the day we got it, but other responsibilities...

Fast forward 9 or 10 years and the Houston area is threatened with a category five hurricane "Rita". Traffic was backed up with evacuating people for miles. I decided right then I was going to fix my Jeep so I could get my family out of harms way, roads or no roads.

Simply put the reason I built my Jeep up was as a Hurricane Escape Vehicle.

Primary purpose is to get me back and forth to work, back up is HEV. Anything else is just fun.

XJ4IV
04-02-2011, 12:20 PM
blah blah blah yada yada hurricane this zombie that lol
I got mine to make me smile... im good at one thing... thats wheelin

4x4Dalton
04-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Got mine cause I needed a 4wd where we live. Plus always wanted to get into wheelin but never had the chance. Now that I have it Im havin a blast,even if 2 certain ppl pick on me :D just kiddin guys. But seriously I got mine out of necessity and it grew from there.

cantab27
04-02-2011, 01:55 PM
i set mine up for playing and fishing.....nice not having to walk miles to favorite spots..don't get out as much as i like but well we know why at mo....set up for river work with dorkel ,and now more comfortable being in the river fishing by myself with winch now fitted.....scotters y'all may laugh at tony's reason for set up (hurricane)but in times of disasters a lifted jeep with a few mods on it does feel like a life line.....ask me how i know........

steph74
04-02-2011, 02:19 PM
got mine as a simple cheap project to teach myself working on cars.
So I got the working on cars right... not so much the simple and cheap parts....

it is good to go up the mountain without fear to scratch the car

toebee97
04-02-2011, 02:35 PM
I got my first one back in 2007 out of necessity for something cheap to drive, it had 294k miles and it was $250. I wasn't really into wheelin like my buddies. Anyway, 2 1/2 years later XJ #1 gives out at 313k miles due to negligence on my part. I had already bought XJ #2 at this point, but it wasn't drivable yet, needed a little cosmetic work and the miserable brake booster swap I posted pics from later. That one got wrecked. Seemed like everytime I was about to put tires and a lift or any mods on my jeep, something happened lol. Anyhow, now I have the Panda, and fortunately it's in alot better shape than 1 and 2. I don't go wheelin a ton, but that's mostly because I can't afford to the last year or so, I make alot less money at the convenience store than I did swingin a hammer. Like half as much. Just sayin. It's not cheap to go wheelin here. Oregon will break your shit. So that's my excuse for not wheelin 24/7 lol. But I keep driving them because I like them as a DD that will go anywhere.

Alex Westen
04-02-2011, 03:53 PM
My first jeep was a 2004 Jeep Wrangler put a lift on it wheeled the crap out that Jeep. I went through 3 transfer cases 1 transmission on the Rock crawling around here in my area. After a year of having that I had obtained a wife and a child. I loved wheeling and did not want to give it up so started looking for something the whole family can ride in. I found NAXJA and saw some of the built up XJ's and fell in love. Now I own 3 XJ's. Im either going to sell the 89 2door or turn it into a JEEPSPEED not sure yet.

bluedragon436
04-02-2011, 04:02 PM
I bought my XJ because I was looking to purchase a vehicle after moving back to the states with the military. I knew I wanted something that I could build up to eventually start hitting trails with. I was looking for a ZJ to build, but couldn't find one that was in decent shape that they didn't want an arm and a leg for, so I went with looking for an XJ, as I had gotten to help a friend build his up, and even got to wheel it a little bit in Germany and in France, so figured might as well stick with a vehicle I knew and had already gotten a chance to wheel.

Picked mine up for $4k (after talking the guy down), and immediately started looking for parts to upgrade it to make it more useful and fun to drive. Found a guy on one of my military Jeep forums, who had a lift that he was wanting to part with so he didn't have to store it, so I made a trade with him for some items I had that he wanted, that I didn't need, then I collected the remaining parts to complete the lift for the next year. And one trip down to SC due to my grandmother passing, and I was able to purchase the remaining items as well as a few extra upgrades at a wheeling shop in SC. Got my lift installed, as well as some wheel/tires I picked up on a good deal on my treak down to SC from DE. And now we have what I got now.. I play around with what I have to wheel on in the area, but haven't gotten to hit any of the good trails as they are over 2.5hrs away, and my schedule hasn't allowed me to get up with any of the other folks to wheel yet. Can't wait to get it out and let her stretch her legs a bit.. Just need to get one of my old 33's mounted so I'll have a full size spare, and get a front extraction point...

bigjim350
04-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Bought and built mine to wheel, and nothing else. If I had a truck to pull it with, it would never even see the pavement. I went with an XJ cause they are cheap. I can destroy this one, then take what is left and put it on another one, again and again.

OrangeXJ
04-02-2011, 05:44 PM
I bought mine to pull behind my motor home. I have had more diffrent types of 4x4's than I can remember but not a jeep. So when I found this one on Craigs list the way it looked and the price I had to have it. Glad I found it because of it and this site I have met many good people.

cantab27
04-02-2011, 05:56 PM
I went with an XJ cause they are cheap. I can destroy this one, then take what is left and put it on another one, again and again.

righto righto rub it in why dont ya:indifferent0028:

Firemanray
04-02-2011, 06:11 PM
I wasn't sure what I would do with mine, I wanted a 4x4 that my family coulf fit in and MAYBE do some offroading. Well, then I met Big Jim and Rene, they can fill you in on the rest. I still drive it on the road for fun every now and then. It is becoming a hard core wheeler, most likely going to end up on a trailer, who knows!

Mudderoy
04-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Great stories guys, interesting read. :popcorn:

4.3LXJ
04-02-2011, 07:09 PM
I bought mine as a daily driver because my Subaru finally quit. I always keep a functioning 4WD around for emergencies. Paid $1600 for it and immediately put on a 3" lift and a little later built a bumper out of an old vegetable conveyor and put a winch on it. Moved to California and needed to pass smog, so then the real mods began. The 4.3, Atlas and the tall lift. Working on the axles now between times on the son's Mighty Mite.

alwaysxj
04-02-2011, 08:52 PM
I got my first xj because of my wife....All my friends are yota guys so I had my eye on this 85 4-runner that was built to crawl in Utah. got a loan with out telling the wife. came home and said lets go buy this 4-runner. showed her the money, she said hell no. I was pretty mad so I started surfing the local paper and found a 94 xj that was lifted. asked the wife to come and look at it with me, and the rest it history. I have had 4 since then 94,92,88 and current 01. also in between I had a 85 ext cab yota with a auto quickly sold that, and also a 83 yota but always went quickly back to the xj that is why my name is "alwaysxj"
The main perpose of all the xj's I have had has been DD/mild Utah wheeler. some have been more built then other's but always locked in the rear to handle the Utah rocks, at least 33's and long arms. I love the xj and I think I will always have one around, I have got to thank my wife for smaking me back to reality.