PDA

View Full Version : Tire carrier latch

_StationWagon_
06-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Since I can't get in touch with ol' Spanky on short notice ... I need a little input from anyone with the Detours Slimline (Mudderroy, you can speak up :) ). The latch on the carrier, when closed, requires just a light tap on it to pop open. Do you have this issue? Is there a fix? I just picked up the Jeep & I haven't even mounted a tire on it yet, but I noticed that right off. I'm concerned about it popping open on the trail or the highway. Sorry I can't offer any pics yet ... I'm having the armor riveted on right now.

Thanks for any input ... I'll check back in an hour or so.

Mudderoy
06-09-2009, 11:10 PM
I just adjusted mine so that I can open and close it. Then I had my (then) 14 year old daughter try it and she was able to open and close it.

Mine won't open with a tap, you have to pull on the end of the lever pretty good.

There is a hole like where you can put a lock in it. You could always stick something through there to hold it closed until you get it adjusted to your liking.

(Sorry I took a nap after I got home. Remember I'm old) :smiley-laughing021:

Mudderoy
06-09-2009, 11:41 PM
http://xjtalk.com/images/special/latchopen.jpg
Closed

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/latchclosed.jpg
Open

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/buddyhelp.jpg
Buddy came out to help me take the pictures.

_StationWagon_
06-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Sorry, I went to sleep last night ... I'm "old" too, I guess.

I see the tiny hole, & I see the larger hole. They don't come together. I don't see how they possibly can in order to apply a padlock. I can get a padlock into either hole, but not both. Maybe if we adjust the nuts all the way out to the end, it will allow the large hole to travel, but the cylinder prevents any joining of the holes. I don't even know if this is making sense without pictures.

Mudderoy
06-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Sorry, I went to sleep last night ... I'm "old" too, I guess.

I see the tiny hole, & I see the larger hole. They don't come together. I don't see how they possibly can in order to apply a padlock. I can get a padlock into either hole, but not both. Maybe if we adjust the nuts all the way out to the end, it will allow the large hole to travel, but the cylinder prevents any joining of the holes. I don't even know if this is making sense without pictures.

That's the answer then. It isn't adjusted correctly. You see those yellow covers on my picture? Those two nuts on those shafts have to be adjusted so you can close the latch all the way. How much they are adjusted in or out determines how much pressure you have to apply to open and close the latch. Make sense?

pLEXX
06-10-2009, 10:50 AM
buddy must be cool to take pictures.

DETOURS
06-14-2009, 06:28 PM
How'ed you make out?
Sounds like you're in need of adjustment as suggested....
I'm around, just very busy....leave a message and a time to call if need be, I still have your number......internet has been limited for me.

_StationWagon_
06-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Hey dude, didn't adjust it further yet, but you will be pleased to know that it hasn't popped open. This past weekend I drove the XJ all the way to Rausch Creek in PA, wheeled Friday & Saturday, then drove her home (nearly 400 miles round trip). The latch held ... the weight of the tire had something to do with that.