PDA

View Full Version : 100 mpg

Mudderoy
03-16-2011, 10:46 AM
I was pretty happy to hear about a year ago that a guy had a 1987 Mustang with 400 hp and was getting 100 mpg!

Here is some more detail on that...

We filled Doug Pelmear's V-8 Mustang all the way up with E-85 fuel, then went on a road trip: 103 miles from Bowling Green to Blufton and back. Then we refilled the tank. We were able to squeeze about 2-gallons in, so Pelmear's ride averaged about 50-miles to the gallon. But, according to the EPA, E-85 is less efficient than gasoline, and cars that use it get 26% fewer miles per gallon. That means that, with regular gasoline, Pelmear would get about 63-MPG today. Not bad for a car that should get only about 15-MPG.

Pelmear says, he perfected a device that his grandfather developed decades ago that increases mileage and performance.

He claims the old Mustang with it's approx. 300 cid engine, boasts about 400 horsepower. We couldn't verify that. But he did lay plenty of rubber when he took off in a local parking lot.

his Hp2g engine works.

On Tuesday of this week, he told an audience that the car contains the marriage of an electric motor and a V-8 internal combustion engine, according to a press release based upon his presentation in Las Vegas. While that idea has been around for a while, the type of electric engine and how the V-8 works are new ideas. First, the motor which has eight cylinders, can run on any variable down to only one. The automotive industry refers to this as variable displacement. Excessive wear and carbon buildup is avoided by cycling the cylinders in use through all eight chambers.

The second change is the electric motor. Unlike other electric motors today which use what is called full saturation, Pelmear's electric motors operate on a pulse basis, meaning they cycle on and off in rapid succession. It is powered by two spiral core gel batteries. These are common in the racing world and Pelmear has placed them on each side of the car, recharging them from existing technology such as regenerative braking. Also, unlike other cars that use both an electric and gas motors, Pelmear's design allows him to use both at the same time if necessary to achieve a massive 500 ft. lbs. of torque. The variable number of cylinders in use also mean he can go from 400 horsepower all the way down to 15 while cruising.

The dual setup allowed him to pass an EPA test in May of this year, without a catalytic converter, and falls well beneath the new standards established for automakers.

So I'm a little disappointed to see that it isn't some amazing new technology, it's just using the same technology that is being used in other vehicles, but it does make more sense now.

steph74
03-16-2011, 10:50 AM
there is hope that someday someone will find a good way to power engines that won;t cost an arm and a leg and get rid of fossil fuels that are way to polluing anyway

(yes this is my opinion and yes I am driving an XJ..... I am a man of contradiction...)

Mudderoy
03-16-2011, 10:54 AM
there is hope that someday someone will find a good way to power engines that won;t cost an arm and a leg and get rid of fossil fuels that are way to polluing anyway

(yes this is my opinion and yes I am driving an XJ..... I am a man of contradiction...)

I could care less about the pollution, I mean cleaner is better, but I'd love to have the power and torque from an electric engine. I mean electric will be a lot faster than internal combustion.

We need to focus more on energy costs and not how clean our environment is.

prerunner1982
03-16-2011, 11:42 AM
The big oil companies won't let that happen....

Mudderoy
03-16-2011, 12:09 PM
The big oil companies won't let that happen....

lol he's already built a plant to start making these engines.

bigjim350
03-16-2011, 12:27 PM
I have no desire for an electric or hybrid. Cause after them cars are about 5 years old, all that shit will start falling apart, and tracing down an electrical problem is already a pain in the a$$

oderdene
03-17-2011, 07:53 AM
this one is interesting http://www.driveev.com/jeepev/home.php

http://www.driveev.com/jeepev/pics/jeep2.jpg

Mudderoy
03-17-2011, 09:15 AM
this one is interesting http://www.driveev.com/jeepev/home.php

http://www.driveev.com/jeepev/pics/jeep2.jpg

I remember this one, but 12 hours of charging for 60 miles, ahhhh wouldn't do me much good. Good article and it might fit some people's environment well.

LizardRunner
03-17-2011, 09:26 AM
he forgot the roof panels to recharge while out in the sun. I'd rather go alcohol myself, I know how to make it and if I get thirsty I can just tap a little from the tank. It's bio friendly and to make more I just need barley or corn.

OrangeXJ
03-17-2011, 11:44 AM
One thing to think about is it takes fuel to make electricy

Mudderoy
03-17-2011, 12:01 PM
One thing to think about is it takes fuel to make electricy

We have a lot of sun in Texas. We just need much cheaper solar panels, yeah I know it takes fuel to make them to. rofl