PDA

View Full Version : Jenny Craig my rig?

muddeprived
06-08-2009, 12:18 AM
It's fat, or at least feels that way. Wheeling it last weekend reminded me of my friend's dodge ram. You can feel the huge weight transfer on off camber hills.

I recently stuck on three skids and carry two really heavy tool boxes. Due to this heavier load, it rides alot better on the road but stops like shi$. Takes a bit more effort now. I couldn't stop the rig well when I was trying to climb this steep hill. I'm thinking upgrade the brakes (hawks and powerstops) or put her on a gimmick diet pill or maybe it's the stock tire track width or my soft springs. So many possible fixes but so little money.

I have a rear skid next on my never-ending list of jeep must-buys. It shouldn't have any effect on my current issue. :poke:

Mudderoy
06-08-2009, 01:29 AM
Have you done disc brakes for the rear yet?

BlueXJ
06-08-2009, 01:36 AM
Have you done disc brakes for the rear yet?

That and stiffer suspension would rid you of that wallowing feeling when in an off camber situation but will also give you less droop in the flexing department. You can't have your cake and eat it too.:mad0090:

Xtreme XJ
06-08-2009, 02:01 AM
It's fat, or at least feels that way. Wheeling it last weekend reminded me of my friend's dodge ram. You can feel the huge weight transfer on off camber hills.

I recently stuck on three skids and carry two really heavy tool boxes. Due to this heavier load, it rides alot better on the road but stops like shi$. Takes a bit more effort now. I couldn't stop the rig well when I was trying to climb this steep hill. I'm thinking upgrade the brakes (hawks and powerstops) or put her on a gimmick diet pill or maybe it's the stock tire track width or my soft springs. So many possible fixes but so little money.

I have a rear skid next on my never-ending list of jeep must-buys. It shouldn't have any effect on my current issue. :poke:

If you're basically happy with it how about something like R9000s with the in cab adjustment... when you want it to walk loosen them up... when you're in need of a little rigidity tighten them up... as you would on the street.
There are remedies for poor stopping out there...
I like cake...

Curt

muddeprived
06-08-2009, 02:27 AM
When I upgraded to 33's on my TJ, I had terrible braking so I upgraded to hawk pads and powerstop slotted rotors. The improvement was amazing. That's why im thinking of doing that on the xj.

pLEXX
06-08-2009, 08:29 AM
I looked at the topic name and thought of your putting her all over yo rig lol to early

Mudderoy
06-08-2009, 10:11 AM
When I upgraded to 33's on my TJ, I had terrible braking so I upgraded to hawk pads and powerstop slotted rotors. The improvement was amazing. That's why im thinking of doing that on the xj.

ooo good to know. I need better braking a$$ well. I'm guessing it's expensive though, it always is.

muddeprived
06-08-2009, 11:12 AM
ooo good to know. I need better braking a$$ well. I'm guessing it's expensive though, it always is.

It's about $300 or a little less depending on where you get em. well worth it. I found a deal on ebay for $100 (TJ) and that was a steal. It was for both rotors and hawk pads. The dude wrecked the jeep so he could never install them. I got lucky.

With brakes, "u get what you pay for" is true.

kmanxj
06-08-2009, 05:16 PM
ZJ rear discs? that is what i wanna do someday, since i have noticed the same thing with bumpers and all my tools

muddeprived
06-08-2009, 08:47 PM
ZJ rear discs? that is what i wanna do someday, since i have noticed the same thing with bumpers and all my tools

That's an option but I'm not up to searching all over for the required parts. At least not at this time. I attempted a disk brake conversion on my tj before and it didn't work out well and ended up costing me more than what everyone said it would. I don't have alot of $$ to blow these days so I'll just stick to what I know will work and hold off the major mods till later.

2000XJ
06-17-2009, 12:45 AM
How much weight have you really added, and at what heights?

I know I have added a ton of weight to my XJ (Lift kit - yes it adds weight, skids - front to rear except gas tank, diff covers, sliders, 1 healthy toolbag, 1 33x9.50R15 spare tire).

I'd say that 95% of my added weight is at the level of the floor or lower. I used to wheel with my spare on the roof and that was what gave me the feeling of the most weight transfer in climbs and off-camber situations. Once I removed it from the roof I noticed a significant difference in wheeling-handling.

My spare rests on my floor, with my toolbag on top in the rear of the XJ (all ratchet strapped down). I personally like the distribution of weight because the weight in the rear offsets the weight of the front (like engine, driver, 1 passenger). Try reducing what you carry. I used to wheel with all my spare parts on board as well (axle shafts for front and rear, spare driveshaft, spare steering, spare fluids, blah blah blah), but then started leaving the spares on my friend's trailer for the day. This significantly helped as well.

Also, move your weight around. See how the XJ acts when you keep your tools in one place versus another. It's hard to cut weight on an XJ unless you strip the inside.

Mudderoy
06-17-2009, 02:36 AM
Maybe people are just lazy, but I can take 90 degree corners with very little effort. When I turn from the right lane I stay in the right lane. I see other vehicles going wide into the left lane. I don't understand it, everyone has power steering. I'll have to watch my speed next time, but it seems I'm doing 20 at least. This may be due to the weight I've added lower, and the wider wheel pattern. Dunno.

muddeprived
06-17-2009, 02:40 AM
Maybe people are just lazy, but I can take 90 degree corners with very little effort. When I turn from the right lane I stay in the right lane. I see other vehicles going wide into the left lane. I don't understand it, everyone has power steering. I'll have to watch my speed next time, but it seems I'm doing 20 at least. This may be due to the weight I've added lower, and the wider wheel pattern. Dunno.

It's spring and width that plays a role in handling. You probably have stiffer springs and much wider stance. I am running the stock stance to keep the tires legal and old man emu soft springs so there's more body roll. I'm actually thinking of putting the rear sway bar back on but I'm not sure if it will fit. Will it work with 4.5" (doubtful)? How can I extend the links? I remember reading somewhere that it's difficult to extend the links at the axle end if you run stock wheels and bigger tires.

muddeprived
06-17-2009, 02:42 AM
How much weight have you really added, and at what heights?

I know I have added a ton of weight to my XJ (Lift kit - yes it adds weight, skids - front to rear except gas tank, diff covers, sliders, 1 healthy toolbag, 1 33x9.50R15 spare tire).

I'd say that 95% of my added weight is at the level of the floor or lower. I used to wheel with my spare on the roof and that was what gave me the feeling of the most weight transfer in climbs and off-camber situations. Once I removed it from the roof I noticed a significant difference in wheeling-handling.

My spare rests on my floor, with my toolbag on top in the rear of the XJ (all ratchet strapped down). I personally like the distribution of weight because the weight in the rear offsets the weight of the front (like engine, driver, 1 passenger). Try reducing what you carry. I used to wheel with all my spare parts on board as well (axle shafts for front and rear, spare driveshaft, spare steering, spare fluids, blah blah blah), but then started leaving the spares on my friend's trailer for the day. This significantly helped as well.

Also, move your weight around. See how the XJ acts when you keep your tools in one place versus another. It's hard to cut weight on an XJ unless you strip the inside.

I believe it's somewhere around 450 lbs (skids and two HEAVY toolboxes). I'm at 4" right now with stock wheels. I can't really move the weight around cuz it's mostly skid plates and my toolboxes are too big to fit anywhere else except in the rear cargo.

Mudderoy
06-17-2009, 02:43 AM
It's spring and width that plays a role in handling. You probably have stiffer springs and much wider stance. I am running the stock stance to keep the tires legal and old man emu soft springs so there's more body roll. I'm actually thinking of putting the rear sway bar back on but I'm not sure if it will fit. Will it work with 4.5" (doubtful)? How can I extend the links? I remember reading somewhere that it's difficult to extend the links at the axle end if you run stock wheels and bigger tires.

Yeah I forgot about the springs. Definitely more stout than even the Up Country springs. Jeep handled well before, but not like it does now. Just amazing, it feels like zero roll. Hmmmm I need to make a video. :popcorn:

muddeprived
06-17-2009, 02:44 AM
Yeah I forgot about the springs. Definitely more stout than even the Up Country springs. Jeep handled well before, but not like it does now. Just amazing, it feels like zero roll. Hmmmm I need to make a video. :popcorn:

Yeah make a vid. :cheerleader:

Mudderoy
06-17-2009, 02:45 AM
Yeah make a vid. :cheerleader:

My wife and girls will laugh at me. They already think I'm nuts about my Jeep. Too bad, let them be jealous. :D

Voldemort
06-17-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm going to do the grand booster and Master soo that should help with braking and then do the rear discs. With the rear discs you can either go to a JY and get all the parts and take the calipers and discs in for cores the backing plate is the part that is most needed. But they do make a kit already to go with all new stuff it costs a pretty penny though.