PDA

View Full Version : Picked Me Up a New Winch Today, AT Sam's Club!

Mudderoy
03-13-2011, 04:42 AM
No I really didn't but I thought it was interesting that my local Sam's Club is selling them...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TXyNin-L9rI/AAAAAAAAAvE/OtEniaWVrOs/s800/2011-03-12%2017.39.00.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TXyRXEgHgsI/AAAAAAAAAvI/Wnzd8R3g_Fw/s800/2011-03-12%2017.39.12.jpg

BrianXJ
03-13-2011, 04:58 AM
huh thats neat. will have to check around here.

Punisher
03-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Yeah, we havd them here too... I thought about it but Just dont know if I could trust the build....
Wal-Mart and Sams 90% of their Items are built and bought from China and Japan....
I'd like to see someone put this to an extreme test before I buy it...
It's only a 3.6 horse power but whats the gear ratio is the question..

4.3LXJ
03-13-2011, 11:11 AM
It's going to be a slow one. But on the flip side the amp draw will be lower than the fast winches. I have a mile marker and Warn, both in the 9K range. The amp draw is like night and day between the two.

bigjim350
03-13-2011, 12:23 PM
If the warranty was a couple years longer I would be tempted to get one. Hell might go ahead and get one for my trailer though. Good find :thumbsup:

modestmar00xj
03-13-2011, 03:39 PM
hmm thats funny, there really trying to sell everything.

Mudderoy
03-13-2011, 03:57 PM
One day I will buy this ...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TXyL61RKrfI/AAAAAAAAAu0/HZH17Z_ckIY/s576/2011-03-12%2017.39.41.jpg

That's a 55 gallon drum of oil! :D

afbond03
03-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Yep, Good Ol' Sams. They usually have some sort of China made knock off winch in theirs stores at some point each year.
Last year they had the 8k that was identical to the Harbor Freight one.

4x4Dalton
03-13-2011, 05:48 PM
If anyone does get this winch do a write up on it. Would like to see if it would be worth the price.

steph74
03-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Same here, I have seen this winch for a long time and always wanted to know what it is worth.... I am not interested in a winch now, so i have not done my homework...

But if it is good for light-medium heavy off roading then it might be a good deal who knows ?

4.3LXJ
03-14-2011, 11:16 AM
I just have to say at this point, that sometimes you can get a good Chinese winch, or not. I bought a Mile Marker 9K for my XJ thinking I got a good deal only to have it fail on me a month after going off warranty. So I bought the Warn. Expensive, but I have not had any issues when I need it.

Mudderoy
03-14-2011, 11:36 AM
I just have to say at this point, that sometimes you can get a good Chinese winch, or not. I bought a Mile Marker 9K for my XJ thinking I got a good deal only to have it fail on me a month after going off warranty. So I bought the Warn. Expensive, but I have not had any issues when I need it.

I wanted a WARN but I dropped down a notch "price wise" and get a SuperWinch for the same reason, I wanted dependable.

steph74
03-14-2011, 11:42 AM
It is Sam's club, i am pretty sure you could purchase an extended warranty for not too much....

Mudderoy
03-14-2011, 11:56 AM
It is Sam's club, i am pretty sure you could purchase an extended warranty for not too much....

Well the primary reason for my build was to use in an emergency, so getting my family out of harms way well the extended warranty wouldn't do much for me at that moment of need. ;)

4.3LXJ
03-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Well the primary reason for my build was to use in an emergency, so getting my family out of harms way well the extended warranty wouldn't do much for me at that moment of need. ;)

My point exactly. A warranty is no good 30 miles from the nearest signs of civilization. And yes, there are still plenty of those places here in CA

Mudderoy
03-14-2011, 12:54 PM
I think the Smitty Build "Rene tried and tested!" Would be my choice for a rear winch. Store in the back and have a 2" receiver set up for it. At $279 from PayLess, wow what a deal.

4.3LXJ
03-14-2011, 01:49 PM
I think the Smitty Build "Rene tried and tested!" Would be my choice for a rear winch. Store in the back and have a 2" receiver set up for it. At $279 from PayLess, wow what a deal.

I am seriously thinking of the Mile Marker as a rear winch. I built the bumper to accept one like it in the first place, and now that it works again I might as well use it. Apparently the brushes stick and don't make contact in these things. Never occurred to me to hit it with a BFH

DETOURS
03-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Mile Marker's track record is in the dumpster if you ask me........sorry.

4.3LXJ
03-14-2011, 08:17 PM
You are right. Which is why I bought another brand.

DETOURS
03-14-2011, 08:26 PM
I really, really hate having to do the home work on these "F'ing" china crap winches......
They've been attempting to attract marketers for years in the states, some have bit.......oh well...

Gear Reduction: 216;1
Importer: California (For this model/brand name)
Braking system: Non discript, mechanical
Loads over 8k: (REMEMBER, THIS IS A 10K WINCH...."REQUIRE A SNATCH BLOCK"..........wtf?)
Pull Rate:....see above, best used with 1966 VW on gravel.
Amps: 400 at 10K???????

Enjoy your new winch, read it all at: http://www.championpowerequipment.com/man/win/11006_manual.pdf

A wise man buys a tool, a cheap man rents a wrench...........:thumbdown:

4.3LXJ
03-14-2011, 08:34 PM
The one I liked was to disconnect the battery leads and remote when not in use. Like I am going to do this before heading into a large mud hole, or like last weekend in 30" of water.

DETOURS
03-14-2011, 08:50 PM
I liked the AMP draw.......
Continueous 1-877 numbers.......
Warnings that took up 13 out of 17 pages.........
Lack of any "REAL" , useable info.............
The 8K limit using a snatch block for a 10K winch.........

Yea, you get what yea F'ing pay for, just plain tired of these china winches, they aint so f'ing great at all/ should'a bought/wish I bought.......with no investigation, 200 less than a real winch.....FAIL....

4.3LXJ
03-14-2011, 09:57 PM
They are jut making sure they don't have to honor their "limited" warranty

python6446
03-15-2011, 03:06 AM
Just thought I would give my experience with these winches. I have the 8K model. Bought it back in 07 for an S10 Blazer I had at the time. Worked great when I got it and still does on my XJ. The only thing i've needed to do was repaint it once. I will say it is slow but it gets the job done.

OverEasy
03-15-2011, 08:25 AM
My old boss bought a winch from Sam's Club once. He got the 8k lb one and put it on his CJ. He/ we have used it and like it. The only thing is the line speed. He hasn't had a seconds problem out of it. It's been on about three years now. He liked it enough he went back and bought the 12k for his M37.

DETOURS
03-15-2011, 08:36 AM
I'd mount it on a trailer for loading, maybe,maybe,maybe in the rear of the XJ......but thats about it. (personally....)

I've been in/amongst situations where line speeds 'did' matter, as well as a cool head and human reaction time.....depending where you travel, things can get pretty nutty....

OverEasy
03-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Well the guy I'm talking about has a . . . .

1953 M37 (Champion winch)
2004 Land Rover Discovery (Warn)
2000 Land Rover Discovery (getting a Warn)
1995 Land Rover Defender 90 (Warn)
1982 Jeep CJ (Champion winch)
1987 Suzuki Samurai (Smitty Built)
1988 Suzuki Samurai (being built still)
1990's Tacker (parts)

Those are just his 4x's

Winches get pretty expensive and he found a cheaper one that works well for his needs. Although, the champion winches mainly get used around his house more for utility than sport use. I will say that I have first hand experience with them and they work well (other than speed). Also... Yes, sometimes speed is a key in needing to winch something.

steph74
03-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Me likey this discussion ;)
I almost understand the different point of view ;) Thank you guys

Mudderoy
03-15-2011, 09:19 AM

It's funny, many people don't like conflict, being a dumb person I don't mind. I look at it as a learning experience. In at least 99% of the cases no one hits me so that isn't a deterrent. :D

Through differing opinions we learn.

OverEasy
03-15-2011, 09:25 AM

LOL! My only thing is that I have never used his winches (champions) as a recovery tool, only as a utility tool. Pulling wood, tractor bucket when the piston broke. . . kind of stuff. It did its job. I would trust either of them on my 4x. Is there better out there? Sure! For the price it's a pretty decent winch though.

As for me, I'm running the Ramsey 8.5e and love it! I HAVE recovered myself and others w/ it. NO complaints about mine! :thumbsup:

steph74
03-15-2011, 09:31 AM
well I have no problem with contradictory argumentation.... when it is documented ;) If you tell me this one is a bad one because it is a Chinese product and this one is the better one because it is American built then that will not interest me at all...

But of course, i am dumb and uneducated with winches so I am not passionate about one or another type ;)

rguignard
03-15-2011, 09:34 AM
well Ive been as quiet as i can on this one but im done being quiet :eek: i have the smitty winch yes i know its not a warn but for the $315.00 to my door its been a great winch it gets used more than any winch that Ive ever seen and it has yet to leave me or anyone i know in a mud hole or anywhere for that matter. would i hang my jeep from it no i cant say i would but for what i need it to do its done and it has never been pissed off doing it. btw i have put it up against a warn and it pulls just as hard if not harder its not as fast in free line speed but on a hard pull its just as fast. so for all of you out there that have lots of money get your warn and park at the mall but for us poor people (and yes i put myself in there) get what you want and quit listening to everyone on the web and get what you can afford and go wheel and use it. :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
03-15-2011, 09:50 AM
well Ive been as quiet as i can on this one but im done being quiet:eek: i have the smitty winch yes i know its not a warn but for the $315.00 to my door its been a great winch it gets used more than any winch that Ive ever seen and it has yet to leave me or anyone i know in a mud hole or anywhere for that matter. would i hang my jeep from it no i cant say i would but for what i need it to do its done and it has never been pissed off doing it. btw i have put it up against a warn and it pulls just as hard if not harder its not as fast in free line speed but on a hard pull its just as fast. so for all of you out there that have lots of money get your warn and park at the mall but for us poor people (and yes i put myself in there) get what you want and quit listening to everyone on the web and get what you can afford and go wheel and use it. :thumbsup:

Well I don't think anyone is expressing anything here but their own personal feelings. No one is an expert. I think the argument is this. If you have a conceal and carry permit which is expensive in itself, you need a gun. Do you buy a cheap gun and hope it works every time you need it to defend yourself, or do you buy a uber expensive gun that you know will work? My first sub compact was a Taraus pt-140, $380. Very nice 40 cal gun, and small. My first choice was the Glock 27 but at almost $200 less I went with the pt-140. The gun shoots very nice. Well while I was in my CHL class on the firing line and I went to fire off 3 shots as instructed. The first shot fine, I squeezed the trigger and nothing. I squeezed again, nothing. I then noticed there was NO pressure on the trigger as I pulled it. It was like pulling the trigger on a water pistol.

Confused I examined the gun then finally i tried pushing the trigger forward just a faction of an inch and I was able to fire it. Now knowing the work around I was able to complete the live fire portion of the test.

I couldn't help but think what I would have done if I had to use this gun to defend myself or my family and the 15 seconds it took me to figure out the work around. There's no calling time outs in a real fight. The problem turned out to be that the safety was touching the trigger mech just enough to keep it from returning fully after firing the weapon. Not every time, but about 20% of the time. I sent it off to Tauras for 2 months for repair. I could have fixed it in 15 minutes with a Dremel, but I let the experts do it.

I couldn't afford it, but I purchased a Glock 27 and that became my carry weapon. So the cheap solution wasn't. It wound up costing me the price of two guns.

Now I'll admit that the winch isn't a gun and it isn't a weapon, but it could be used in an emergency. If it is, what will 15 seconds cost you, or a loved one, in line pull speed, or while you figure a work around?

The ONLY reason I would even consider buying one of these cheap winches is because of Rene's experience with his. I still wonder about the quality control where these winches are made and if Rene just got lucky with his. Just as my PT140 gun has become a back up weapon, I wouldn't mind having a cheap winch as a backup.

Perhaps I'm overly cautious, only time will tell, but I'm not 20 with no life experience, so I'll just keep going the way I'm going and hope that I guess right.

bigjim350
03-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Well personally what I have seen, the Warn only has a faster line speed than the Smitty, when no load is being pulled. Would I buy a Champion winch, hell no, but I would buy a Smitty in a heartbeat. Out of all the major and dangerous winch failures I have seen on the trails, it was 2 Warns and 1 Ramsey. The worst thing I have ever seen a Smitty do, is overheat a solenoid.

rguignard
03-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Well personally what I have seen, the Warn only has a faster line speed than the Smitty, when no load is being pulled. Would I buy a Champion winch, hell no, but I would buy a Smitty in a heartbeat. Out of all the major and dangerous winch failures I have seen on the trails, it was 2 Warns and 1 Ramsey. The worst thing I have ever seen a Smitty do, is overheat a solenoid.

and that was mine :smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

Mudderoy
03-15-2011, 10:06 AM
and that was mine :smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

You have it repaired now though, right?

rguignard
03-15-2011, 10:10 AM
You have it repaired now though, right?

yep all good now

OverEasy
03-15-2011, 10:32 AM
well Ive been as quiet as i can on this one but im done being quiet :eek: i have the smitty winch yes i know its not a warn but for the $315.00 to my door its been a great winch it gets used more than any winch that Ive ever seen and it has yet to leave me or anyone i know in a mud hole or anywhere for that matter. would i hang my jeep from it no i cant say i would but for what i need it to do its done and it has never been pissed off doing it. btw i have put it up against a warn and it pulls just as hard if not harder its not as fast in free line speed but on a hard pull its just as fast. so for all of you out there that have lots of money get your warn and park at the mall but for us poor people (and yes i put myself in there) get what you want and quit listening to everyone on the web and get what you can afford and go wheel and use it. :thumbsup:

This! ^^^

My previous boss and his wife own a design studio here in Lynchburg and I used to work for them. Trust me when I say that money on vehicles was no problem to him. He (the boss) is a really cool, down to earth guy and now a great friend bought the 'Champion' winches to test them out and see if they were worth the cash. Well the one on the Jeep CJ is still there three years later and the one on the M37 is there 2 years later. (These two vehicles are used more around their property than off road) The winches on his other 4x's get used right much as well, off road primarily though.

I have been pulled by him with the Smitty Built winch and it did its job flawlessly. I also have been in his BIG Land Rover Discovery (04) and used the Warn 9.5ti plenty of times at Land Rover Rallies and other events. We've pulled ourselves out, up and over stuff along with helping others out w/ not a single glitch...

As far as my Ramsey goes... I've used the lleh out of it and it will remain on the front of my samurai until it no longer works. (Money well spent IMO) I trust my life and vehicle with it. Do I trust my life with the Warns? Yup, I do and have, same goes for the Smitty Built winches. As far as the Champions go, I've never used them in that way. I can't say either way with them. I just know they have done well for what we have used them for.

No rich snob here, just a lot of experience and use, that's all. :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
03-15-2011, 11:04 AM
This! ^^^

My previous boss and his wife own a design studio here in Lynchburg and I used to work for them. Trust me when I say that money on vehicles was no problem to him. He (the boss) is a really cool, down to earth guy and now a great friend bought the 'Champion' winches to test them out and see if they were worth the cash. Well the one on the Jeep CJ is still there three years later and the one on the M37 is there 2 years later. (These two vehicles are used more around their property than off road) The winches on his other 4x's get used right much as well, off road primarily though.

I have been pulled by him with the Smitty Built winch and it did its job flawlessly. I also have been in his BIG Land Rover Discovery (04) and used the Warn 9.5ti plenty of times at Land Rover Rallies and other events. We've pulled ourselves out, up and over stuff along with helping others out w/ not a single glitch...

As far as my Ramsey goes... I've used the lleh out of it and it will remain on the front of my samurai until it no longer works. (Money well spent IMO) I trust my life and vehicle with it. Do I trust my life with the Warns? Yup, I do and have, same goes for the Smitty Built winches. As far as the Champions go, I've never used them in that way. I can't say either way with them. I just know they have done well for what we have used them for.

No rich snob here, just a lot of experience and use, that's all. :thumbsup:

People sharing their information from experience means a lot to me. I mean after all that's why I spent more on a winch was because of my lack of experience with not just cheap winches but ANY winches!

OverEasy
03-15-2011, 12:01 PM
People sharing their information from experience means a lot to me. I mean after all that's why I spent more on a winch was because of my lack of experience with not just cheap winches but ANY winches!

Ahh OK. Well I just speak from experience with things I have bought or used. If I can help someone out, great! I never try to tell someone what to get, just offer my experiences and what not. I just give honest opinions on what I have used and bought, good or bad. :thumbsup:

DETOURS
03-15-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm a Superwinch kinda guy, not warn.....they're less pricey, yet dependable, although yes.....there was one documented here which exploded.....never seen that before....:eek:.....but I also watched a Mile Marker 12k explode on national tv.....on a boat...:headshake:

I dont see where Smittybuilt was brought up, but since it has.....they've been proving themselves over the last 2 years.

I always suggest to folks to print off the specs for the winches they're considering, compare, make your own choice.......The winch which started this conversation has 'incomplete' specs......and more spelled out disclaimers than any I've ever read.....

Line speeds, if you've ever been 12 jeeps deep and theres winching required on the trail......you'll then again get a new respect for line speeds, esp. if you're the trail leader or follow up guy trying to get those 12 jeeps through
the trail knowing theres 12 more Jeeps behind you not expecting a traffic jam in the woods.....lol...it can get frustrating.....even boring.....

I'm no pro, just another guy with an opinion.......we all have them, no ones pointing fingers.....we're just talking about a costco winch......

I've pointed numerous folks to this artical over the years, it's a good read, written prior to smittybuilts and alot of these imports.......but it does include Harbor Frieghts entry.......give it a read, it's as unbias as it gets.....:thumbsup:

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/general/listing.cfm?articleID=353

Mudderoy
03-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Ahh OK. Well I just speak from experience with things I have bought or used. If I can help someone out, great! I never try to tell someone what to get, just offer my experiences and what not. I just give honest opinions on what I have used and bought, good or bad. :thumbsup:

Yep and I really appreciate the info.

OverEasy
03-15-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm a Superwinch kinda guy, not warn.....they're less pricey, yet dependable, although yes.....there was one documented here which exploded.....never seen that before....:eek:.....but I also watched a Mile Marker 12k explode on national tv.....on a boat...:headshake:

I dont see where Smittybuilt was brought up, but since it has.....they've been proving themselves over the last 2 years.

I always suggest to folks to print off the specs for the winches they're considering, compare, make your own choice.......The winch which started this conversation has 'incomplete' specs......and more spelled out disclaimers than any I've ever read.....

Line speeds, if you've ever been 12 jeeps deep and theres winching required on the trail......you'll then again get a new respect for line speeds, esp. if you're the trail leader or follow up guy trying to get those 12 jeeps through
the trail knowing theres 12 more Jeeps behind you not expecting a traffic jam in the woods.....lol...it can get frustrating.....even boring.....

I'm no pro, just another guy with an opinion.......we all have them, no ones pointing fingers.....we're just talking about a costco winch......

I've pointed numerous folks to this artical over the years, it's a good read, written prior to smittybuilts and alot of these imports.......but it does include Harbor Frieghts entry.......give it a read, it's as unbias as it gets.....:thumbsup:

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/general/listing.cfm?articleID=353

LOL! You talking about the MM that exploded on that boat in the Logging show? It blew apart and the drum shot across and cut the guys foot before going into the water? I thought to myself ''that wasn't good". :shocker:

And as far as SB winches go, the one I've used was great! Line speed, remote, power was all there! I would buy one without a doubt. It's a good winch!

I agree with having to respect line speed also. There are times that speed is nice. Been there done that.... :headshake:

As far as Superwinch goes, I've only seen one of them burn up. It was (again) at OakRidge estates and the winch was pretty much on its last leg anyway. It was lowering the last Jeep down the ledge and just stopped. It was hot, over worked and done... It just quit. That would be the only one I've seen have a problem though, out of the four people I know run them.

As with anyones product though.... at any time something can happen. It's the nature of the sport.

DETOURS
03-15-2011, 12:30 PM
YES, on AXE-MEN.........You could just make out the brand knowing where to look........

Best Qoute: "Well I guess I'll be trying their 1-800 number in the morning"...lol

steph74
03-15-2011, 12:32 PM
so I read the manual .... no need to say that it doesn;t even make sense to me but I still read through.... nevermind.

I would say that an important aspect in such a tool choice would be the warranty. This particular Champion one seem to offer only a 1y (part and labor) and 2y parts limited warranty (we all know what that means btw).

Maybe one of the difference is there

OverEasy
03-15-2011, 12:33 PM
YES, on AXE-MEN.........You could just make out the brand knowing where to look........

Best Qoute: "Well I guess I'll be trying their 1-800 number in the morning"...lol

Yeah, that was the show.... I seriously LOL'd at that! Yeah, they blurred out the name but if you knew their colors and winch characteristics, you knew the brand. That was bad....

DETOURS
03-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Yeah, that was the show.... I seriously LOL'd at that! Yeah, they blurred out the name but if you knew their colors and winch characteristics, you knew the brand. That was bad....

I think my reaction was "Holey Shiat"........"Thats not good".....