PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust fumes from the EGR?

Voldemort
06-07-2009, 05:13 PM
When I was putting the intake on my '91 (that I'll get tomorrow) I noticed that it had what looked and smelled like light exhaust fumes coming out of the EGR/PVC valve(or whatever tube that is that go's from the valve cover to the filter box) while running. My buddy has two XJ's also('90 & '91) and he says both of his do this also? Is this a sign of age or that it needs a good flush? My '93 does not do it and the '92 has a '95 ZJ motor in it that only has 90,000 miles on it and it does not do this so I'm stumped?and do not want to buy it if the motor is smoked, it ran great squealed the tires from a stop and revved up great.

Howler_GT
06-07-2009, 08:23 PM
That tube is the air intake for the valve cover.

Normally there is a slight vacuum (to valve cover).

If there are fumes emitting from it, this is a good sign that your CCV orifice is clogged.

CCV: Uses engine vacuum to scavenge pressure from crankcase and run it into the intake. Most "other" vehicles have a PCV Valve, , but a CCV is merely an orifice.

You need to pop/screw off the CCV (rearmost connector on valve cover) and use a small wire to re-open the orifice and allow the engine to asperate.

Voldemort
06-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks Howler, I did that first thing and it did not seem to be clogged? I'll check it again just to be 100% but that is why I posted cause it was weird that it was doing this and the ccv was not clogged. It also comes from the oil filler hole when I opened it to look in?

BudgetXJ
06-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Mine does the same thing. I'm thinking its minor blow by being that its 18 years old. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Voldemort
06-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Mine does the same thing. I'm thinking its minor blow by being that its 18 years old. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

It also has a minor ticking also that goes away when it revs up. I was just worried it was a bent valve and that was why it had so much exhuast gases in the crankcase? Or it could be a wrist pin starting to fail which could take another 30,000 miles IDK

BlueXJ
06-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Piston slap is very common and can last for 100,000 miles with little ill effect. That can mimic a wristpin.

ol"blue
06-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Piston slap is very common and can last for 100,000 miles with little ill effect. That can mimic a wristpin.

Slightly oval-shaped cylinders, caused by wear, results in piston slap which causes both the knocking sound and a poor ring seal which is a major cause of blow-by.http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss68/DLHTURBO/beerchug.gif

Voldemort
06-13-2009, 01:33 PM
I just can not tell by the sound if it is in the valve train, a lifter , or a wrist pin? I guess I'll find out when i goes!