PDA

View Full Version : steering.....wtf.

muddeprived
06-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Need some opinions on wtf is going on with my steering. To start off, I have 4" lift, drop brackets, and 32's. Every steering component has been replaced except the driver's side upper and lower ball joints. EVERY part is new. What happens is when I'm on a hill coming down a hill and there's alot of stress on the front axle, I can feel certain spots in the steering where it's VERY difficult to turn. Sometimes it turns just fine, sometimes it feels like both tires are stuck in very narrow and deep ruts. You know that feeling where you can't turn the steering. It's fine when I'm on a flat surface and turning back and forth. You can notice it a little on pavement. Could this be my last remaining parts that have no been replaced (ball joints)? there's no visible binding anywhere in the steering. The steering box is new.

This is one of the spots where I could barely turn it. It took alot of muscle.
[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/2nd%20mud/th_DSCF6126.jpg[/IMG"]Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Mudderoy
06-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Full time or Part Time?

muddeprived
06-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Full time or Part Time?

I got the 231. Was in 4-low most of the time.

I used to be able to turn the wheels back and forth quickly (tj) to find traction but I couldn't do it with this. It was just too hard to turn in certain spots of the steering....but then it's easily done on flat ground.

Mudderoy
06-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Well I posted in on the other thread, but doesn't the front locker bind up the steering? Never had one but I hear they are great for going straight, but not any other direction.

muddeprived
06-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Well I posted in on the other thread, but doesn't the front locker bind up the steering? Never had one but I hear they are great for going straight, but not any other direction.

From my experience, no they don't bind. I had the same locker in my TJ's dana 30. When i turn, i can feel the steering wheel kick back and forth a little bit. That was normal but turning was relatively easy to do. I do have that kickback on the xj too but turning is a mofo only in certain spots of the steering's full turn. It's kinda hard to explain. It becomes alot easier when the jeep is moving though. This makes me think it could be the u-joints. If the tires are not spinning it's very difficult to turn.

Mudderoy
06-06-2009, 07:59 PM
It sounds like a vehicle without power steering. Do you think it could be a power steering pump issue?

muddeprived
06-06-2009, 08:03 PM
It sounds like a vehicle without power steering. Do you think it could be a power steering pump issue?

That's possible. It has done this for quite some time. It was doing it in the parking lot back when I was 3" and on 31's. Drove me nuts when I had to back into a spot.

Mudderoy
06-06-2009, 08:05 PM
I think you'd hear some noise if it were u-joints.

muddeprived
06-06-2009, 08:13 PM
I think you'd hear some noise if it were u-joints.

I wouldn't hear anything. :)

Mudderoy
06-06-2009, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't hear anything. :)

lol! How long you been waiting to use that one! :smiley-laughing021:

muddeprived
06-08-2009, 11:16 AM

I replaced the pump this morning. Pretty easy except getting the damn pulley on and off. I didn't really notice any big difference in steering but we'll find out when i go wheeling again or parked on pavement.

Mudderoy
06-08-2009, 11:27 AM
I hope that fixes it.

kryptonitexj
06-08-2009, 12:14 PM
I had something similar to this. It was a half shaft u-joint. one of the bearings froze up causing it to steer weird.

muddeprived
06-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I had something similar to this. It was a half shaft u-joint. one of the bearings froze up causing it to steer weird.

You think it may be the axle u-joints? Did yours steer weird all the time or just every now and then? Mine only does it when im parked and trying to turn it back and forth and also while backing up and off road.

kryptonitexj
06-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Only at slow speeds. U might also check your toe adjustment. Mine was toed out a little and it caused some weird steering. Good Luck let me know if you need any further assistance. :thumbsup:

BlueXJ
06-08-2009, 03:19 PM
You might feel that through the steering column, though. Does your GF hear anything when the steering acts up like that. Squealing belt or anything??

muddeprived
06-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Only at slow speeds. U might also check your toe adjustment. Mine was toed out a little and it caused some weird steering. Good Luck let me know if you need any further assistance. :thumbsup:

Slow speeds in 2wd? I went through alot of axle shaft u-joints with my TJ cuz I do alot of mud. When they seize up, the steering jerks back and forth when turning in either direction at low speeds. Is that what yours did? Even though I'm not experiencing this I'm gonna check out the u-joints anyways.

muddeprived
06-08-2009, 08:59 PM
You might feel that through the steering column, though. Does your GF hear anything when the steering acts up like that. Squealing belt or anything??

My gf's ears don't work either. :)

Voldemort
06-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I have a bad U-joint on the red one right now and it only acts up at or over 50mph or when you slightly turn left while driving(like around a curve above 30 mph)

kryptonitexj
06-09-2009, 03:59 PM
I have a strong feeling its a U joint.