PDA

View Full Version : I am torn and need help deciding between these phones.....

BrianXJ
02-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Need help to decide between these two phones.

toebee97
02-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Stay away from the Samsung Galaxy S line. I bought a At&t Captivate (the Fascinate's sibling) and I wish I would have gotten an Htc. It has GPS issues, and Samsung wouldn't update the Android version if Congress made it the law. It has awesome hardware, but Samsung knows how to ruin that even. It will be the last Samsung device I ever own. If it weren't for the fine folks at Xda Developers (http://www.xda-developers.com) and their tireless efforts to make it all it can be, it would be worthless. Thanks to them, I have Android 2.2.1(Froyo) running on it with a 2.3(Gingerbread) theme, as well as almost flawless GPS. Unfortunately I had to root and flash it, which voids the warranty(unless you know how to undo it, which I do lol). I've owned several Htc devices (T-Mobile SDA, T-Mobile Shadow, T-Mobile Wing, Htc Hermes, At&t Tilt, and an Unlocked G1, all of which I have flashed custom ROMs to), and I can say they are much more capable devices and have alot more going for them as far as 3rd party software development is concerned. Anyway, hope my opinions are helpful. I generally know almost anything about them, or can find out in short order. Just consider me xjtalk's resident smartphone geek. :cool:

Weldmen
02-23-2011, 12:39 PM
I like and will stick with my Droid. It has and does all kinds of cool shit.

easttxhunter
02-23-2011, 12:43 PM
I am an Iphone user myself. But my wife has a samsung galaxy s (cant remember which one) and that thing is the biggest pile of crap. that said i voted for the HTC

codertimt
02-23-2011, 03:29 PM
I have to step in and give a little love to the Galaxy S here. I agree that the stock ROM is horrible. The GPS is also lackluster stock. But find the right custom ROM you like and it's quite the nice device. I too am a Captivate user because at the time it was the only decent Android phone AT&T had. And I think given those two choices, the larger, vibrant screen and twice the internal storage would have me choosing the Vibrant. You have to be willing to flash though, if it's going to stay stock the HTC will give a better experience...

bluedragon436
02-23-2011, 03:38 PM
I voted for the Incredible because that is what I upgraded to, two weeks ago and I love it. I haven't had any issues with it thus far, and it was very easy to get used to, especially going from a non smart phone with a full keyboard, to having a phone without a real keyboard, thought it was going to be a very hard transition, not so much.

easttxhunter
02-23-2011, 03:48 PM
I have to step in and give a little love to the Galaxy S here. I agree that the stock ROM is horrible. The GPS is also lackluster stock. But find the right custom ROM you like and it's quite the nice device. I too am a Captivate user because at the time it was the only decent Android phone AT&T had. And I think given those too choices, the larger, vibrant screen and twice the internal storage would have me choosing the Vibrant. You have to be willing to flash though, if it's going to stay stock the HTC will give a better experience...

This is the one my wife has on T-mobile. its horrible. although we got avatar for free when we bought it.

codertimt
02-23-2011, 04:22 PM
This is the one my wife has on T-mobile. its horrible. although we got avatar for free when we bought it.

Android 2.1 isn't great, Touchwiz on top of it is laggy and ugly. Stock the Galaxy S is relative horrible.

Android 2.2 + Go Launcher + Beautiful Widgets is the bees knees. IMHO of course. :cheerleader: Obviously this configuration could be run on either phone in question...I'm just saying don't completely write off the Galaxy S. It's just like a stock XJ begging for a lift and nice tires... Some folks just want a phone and want the best experience out of the box...and I'll definitely agree the Samsung isn't that.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_QFsKJezRHFc/TWWG76FchbI/AAAAAAAACPk/KmRHl4nJ4VY/s640/snap20110223_161228.png

toebee97
02-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Android 2.1 isn't great, Touchwiz on top of it is laggy and ugly. Stock the Galaxy S is relative horrible.

Android 2.2 + Go Launcher + Beautiful Widgets is the bees knees. IMHO of course. :cheerleader: Obviously this configuration could be run on either phone in question...I'm just saying don't completely write off the Galaxy S. It's just like a stock XJ begging for a lift and nice tires... Some folks just want a phone and want the best experience out of the box...and I'll definitely agree the Samsung isn't that.

I totally agree, the only problem is most people feel entitled to the best end user experience since they are paying $200-$500 for a phone these days, and I agree with those people too. Can't please everyone I guess. From a development standpoint, I'm done with Sammy, back to Htc for me. They are much more open and developer friendly.

I see you're running Andromeda... I tried it after using DesignGear's ROMs religiously (since the SRE days haha) but he stopped updating Perception, and eventually discontinued it, so I tried Serendipity and haven't looked back. As far as launchers go I think LauncherPro Plus has the best options and is worth the couple dollars. But any launcher from the market is better that touchwiz. Since we're posting homescreens, here's mine.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/toebee97/Screen%20Shots/screenshot_16.png

BrianXJ
02-23-2011, 08:42 PM
I just ordered my Incredible. Now the two day wait!!!!!!!!!!

codertimt
02-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Sorry if we're derailing the original thread purpose Brian, but I think there's some decent info to be gleaned for a prospective android user...

I totally agree, the only problem is most people feel entitled to the best end user experience since they are paying $200-$500 for a phone these days, and I agree with those people too. Can't please everyone I guess. From a development standpoint, I'm done with Sammy, back to Htc for me. They are much more open and developer friendly.

I see you're running Andromeda... I tried it after using DesignGear's ROMs religiously (since the SRE days haha) but he stopped updating Perception, and eventually discontinued it, so I tried Serendipity and haven't looked back. As far as launchers go I think LauncherPro Plus has the best options and is worth the couple dollars. But any launcher from the market is better that touchwiz. Since we're posting homescreens, here's mine.

Yes, I went first to Cognition then Perception for awhile. Then to Cezar's Continuum and have been running Andromeda for a few weeks now. I'm perfectly happy with it, but am growing tired of the orange. I'll probably be jumping on XDA again pretty soon and see what's been happening the past month and see what the next switch will be. I'll have to give Serendipity a look...

On another note, 2.2 for Captivate is supposed to drop tomorrow. I'm sure the Vibrant will be right behind. Won't pull me away from 3rd party ROMs, but I"m sure some people who don't want to root will be happy about it.

toebee97
02-23-2011, 11:06 PM
Sorry if we're derailing the original thread purpose Brian, but I think there's some decent info to be gleaned for a prospective android user...

Yes, I went first to Cognition then Perception for awhile. Then to Cezar's Continuum and have been running Andromeda for a few weeks now. I'm perfectly happy with it, but am growing tired of the orange. I'll probably be jumping on XDA again pretty soon and see what's been happening the past month and see what the next switch will be. I'll have to give Serendipity a look...

On another note, 2.2 for Captivate is supposed to drop tomorrow. I'm sure the Vibrant will be right behind. Won't pull me away from 3rd party ROMs, but I"m sure some people who don't want to root will be happy about it.
I got tired of the orange too lol, plus I was jones'in for a flash.

The official update (KB1) got leaked earlier this week. Its already had DG's magic sprinkled on it and is now known as Cognition 4. I might try it, but I'm really diggin Serendipity+SpeedMod kernel so we'll see lol. It should also be noted that KB1 is only 2.2, while most of the custom roms are 2.2.1, and even starting to see some 2.3 test roms.

Yeah sorry too for thread jackin ya Brian. Maybe codertimt and I should start our own thread lol.

Sent from Holly Star Lanes

BrianXJ
02-23-2011, 11:12 PM
I got tired of the orange too lol, plus I was jones'in for a flash.

The official update (KB1) got leaked earlier this week. Its already had DG's magic sprinkled on it and is now known as Cognition 4. I might try it, but I'm really diggin Serendipity+SpeedMod kernel so we'll see lol.

Yeah sorry too for thread jackin ya Brian. Maybe codertimt and I should start our own thread lol.

You guys are good. I order a CPO (certified pre-owned) Incredible for $50 from Verizon. Its all good take the thread which ever way the wind blows lol.

toebee97
02-23-2011, 11:16 PM
You guys are good. I order a CPO (certified pre-owned) Incredible for $50 from Verizon. Its all good take the thread which ever way the wind blows lol.
Score man! If you want to get crazy and root and/or flash it, I'm more than willing to help any way I can. I love gettin my hands dirty with new devices lol.

BrianXJ
02-23-2011, 11:17 PM
suppose to be here thrusday or friday. Have you seen the Thunderbolt and the Bionic. The Bionic is crazy with a dual-core 1 Ghz processor

Outlaw
02-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Voting for HTC because come monday I am able to renew. I'm switching from my iPhone to the HTC Inspire. You guys may as well be speaking greek to me but it all sounds cool LOL

BrianXJ
02-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Josh the new Droid Thunderbolt will be out before Friday.

Outlaw
02-24-2011, 06:51 AM

I'm on At&T, the Inspire just came out last week. I think the Thunderbolt is the Verizon equivilant but like I said It's mostly Greek to me. I know that I can text, talk and surf. And it has Apps/Widgets lol

BrianXJ
02-24-2011, 07:10 AM
I'm on At&T, the Inspire just came out last week. I think the Thunderbolt is the Verizon equivilant but like I said It's mostly Greek to me. I know that I can text, talk and surf. And it has Apps/Widgets lol

Aha I dont know why I thought you were on Verizon

toebee97
02-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Actually they keep pushing it back. I keep reading articles saying there is no definitive release date yet, and Best Buy is saying it could be as late as March 4th.

The Inspire 4G, Thunderbolt, MyTouch 4G and Evo 4G are all US counterparts of the Htc Desire HD. The only differences are cosmetic and network hardware for the most part.
http://www.htc.com/www/product/desirehd/overview.html

Outlaw
02-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Actually they keep pushing it back. I keep reading articles saying there is no definitive release date yet, and Best Buy is saying it could be as late as March 4th.

The Inspire 4G, Thunderbolt, MyTouch 4G and Evo 4G are all US counterparts of the Htc Desire HD. The only differences are cosmetic and network hardware for the most part.
http://www.htc.com/www/product/desirehd/overview.html

Well when I get mine you will have to tell me what I should do to it. :D

LizardRunner
03-02-2011, 08:35 AM
:smiley-laughing021:Ok, now I feel like a cave man.:smiley-laughing021:

Yep, I live under a rock.:smiley-laughing021:

BrianXJ
03-04-2011, 02:12 AM
I am loving my incredible

bluedragon436
03-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Me too... now if I can just get the battery to stop draining so fast.. I think I am messing around with it way too much... LOL

toebee97
03-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Me too... now if I can just get the battery to stop draining so fast.. I think I am messing around with it way too much... LOL
Ah yes, new phone syndrome lol. I flashed Gingerbread on mine last night, so I'm going through the same thing.

Outlaw
03-05-2011, 06:06 AM
Ah yes, new phone syndrome lol. I flashed Gingerbread on mine last night, so I'm going through the same thing.

Got my Inspire two days ago and love it! I finally figured out how to kill running apps so the battery life is improving slowly lol Just gotta make sure I dont kill the wrong thing:shocker:

The camera on this thing is absolutely amazing!! Im helping install a buddys lift today so I will take lots of pics with the phone and post em on here.

BrianXJ
03-09-2011, 07:35 AM
I need an app for free thethering for android? Anyone know of a good one that doesn't charge the extra fee on Verizon

Jamie Lynn
03-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Do you have the TiKL app on your phone Brian? I'm in love with that freaking thing.

toebee97
03-10-2011, 10:49 PM
I need an app for free thethering for android? Anyone know of a good one that doesn't charge the extra fee on Verizon
Did you try any of the ones I sent you the links to on Facebook?

Do you have the TiKL app on your phone Brian? I'm in love with that freaking thing.
I love that app... It even works between Android and iPhones now!

BrianXJ
03-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Did you try any of the ones I sent you the links to on Facebook?

I haven't tried it yet but I downloaded PDAnet

BrianXJ
03-12-2011, 07:11 AM
I downloaded the TiKL app waiting on a call

bluedragon436
03-14-2011, 07:08 AM
I downloaded the TiKL app waiting on a call

Have you gotten to use it yet?? What do you think of it... been thinking about getting it... just not for sure about it yet..

Outlaw
03-14-2011, 07:36 AM
I just Downloaded TiKL as well... gonna check it out later today and see how it does.

bluedragon436
03-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Yeah I decided to download it as well... will see how it works a bit later today too...

toebee97
03-14-2011, 09:46 AM
I use it all the time, it works great. It has a little more delay than a nextel, and it's a little bit of a PITA to figure out how to use it, but for free ya can't really complain.

Jamie Lynn
03-14-2011, 03:21 PM
I love using it. A couple friends of mine are using the Heytell app. Not sure if I want to try that yet. I like using the TiKL. We use it a lot in our paranormal group and I really can't complain about it.:thumbsup:

bluedragon436
03-14-2011, 06:40 PM
now does the other person you are talking to have to have it as well??

BrianXJ
03-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Yes