PDA

View Full Version : My OEM Radiator

Melissa
06-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Well I could not afford at this time a 3 core radiator, but as my jeep was heating up way farther than I would have liked it to, I made the decision to replace it with another OEM radiator right now and save up for the bigger radiator. I spent $160 on the radiator and $90 to have it installed.

I just brought it home and left it sitting out in the 85 degree sun with the air conditioner on full blast for 30 minutes and this is where the temp gauge topped out at and never moved from

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/misc%20pictures/HPIM0600.jpg

Still to me with a 160 thermostat it seems a little high, but I can live with it if this is all the hotter it's going to get. I also was going to have a B&M tranny cooler installed at the same time, but it has not arrived yet.

So does this temp with a new radiator and all new hoses look good to everyone??

N1TZU
06-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Hi Melissa, I replaced my radiator,pump,hoses,(OEM)and my temp can run the same sitting still or in traffic. When I'm driving at 35 and above which makes for good air flow mine will stay at about 190. As long as your electric fan comes on and keeps temp between 170- 210 than that sould be OK. Hope this helps. Bob....

Mudderoy
06-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Well I could not afford at this time a 3 core radiator, but as my jeep was heating up way farther than I would have liked it to, I made the decision to replace it with another OEM radiator right now and save up for the bigger radiator. I spent $160 on the radiator and $90 to have it installed.

I just brought it home and left it sitting out in the 85 degree sun with the air conditioner on full blast for 30 minutes and this is where the temp gauge topped out at and never moved from

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/misc%20pictures/HPIM0600.jpg

Still to me with a 160 thermostat it seems a little high, but I can live with it if this is all the hotter it's going to get. I also was going to have a B&M tranny cooler installed at the same time, but it has not arrived yet.

So does this temp with a new radiator and all new hoses look good to everyone??

My all metal 3 core was $167. I like your CAN DO attitude, but I wish you would work in a CAN I CHECK WITH YOU sometimes.

Melissa
06-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Mudderoy point me in the direction you found your radiator and I will get it ordered and have it put in with my tranny cooler in a few weeks.

All the 3 core radiators I have found online were $229 and up + shipping

Mudderoy
06-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Well the one I got may be that much now, I would have liked to checked for you anyway.

radiatorbarn.com is where I got mine. I forget about the shipping :(

Melissa
06-04-2009, 01:05 AM
Your right radiator barn has the all metal 3 core for $166.77 and free shipping.

I'm going to order it and then keep the one I just installed for a spare, can never have too many spare parts for my jeep.

Mudderoy
06-04-2009, 09:37 AM
I would seriously look at installing that radiator yourself. I think you'd find it a lot easier than you think. I mean if you don't have time, tools, or skill, it is worth $90.

BTW, I'm not so sure replacing a brand new 2 core is the way to go. You might want to hold off, or get the 3 core and store it until you need it.

I replaced my 2 core and later found out the 2 core had a really slow leak. So the 2 core was working fine for 3 months at a time even with the slow leak.

muddeprived
06-04-2009, 10:48 AM
The temp you are at is normal. if it works, I'd just leave it be. I would start to worry if it gets around 240.

Your gas gauge looks REALLY good. :thumbsup:

Melissa
06-04-2009, 02:02 PM
The temp you are at is normal. if it works, I'd just leave it be. I would start to worry if it gets around 240.

Your gas gauge looks REALLY good. :thumbsup:

Thanks about the gas gauge muddeprived, fuel out here is at $2.70 a gallon so I wanted to fill it before it got much higher. It still cost me $50 to fill it.

I ordered the 3 core radiator and I will just hold onto it until I need it.

pLEXX
06-04-2009, 05:15 PM
loving the gas gauge.... mines been sittin @ under 1/4 a tank for about a week :/

NickM
06-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Melissa, I have a new 195 in mine, no idea on age of the radiator. Mine runs about there as well, although I only got the AC working today and will not be able to administer a test like that for a while-the 85's seem to be gone for a bit now.

Nick

Melissa
06-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Let me know what happens with your ac running, will you please

NickM
06-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Have to wait until it warms back up. Only forecast to get up to 69 here today, and at that temp, I already know it runs about 200 idling.

Nick

Melissa
06-21-2009, 08:11 PM
UPDATE:

I put my new radiator to the test last thrusday. I had to run to Madras which is about a 2 1/2 hour drive. It's up and down hills all the way. The biggest grade is the Clarno grade at 9 miles of 7% up hill and your speed is anywhere from 35mph to 50mph.

I shifted it into 3rd and headed up, with the outside temp at 85 and the a/c on for the big test I ran the entire hill at 210. I was so excited!!! :thumbsup:

It ran really well and I had no problems, looks like that I have fixed my overheating problem for now. :driving:

So the three core radiator I just bought and the B&M tranny cooler are going into storage for the time being.

I stopped a the top of the grade to snap this picture of my temp gauge

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/misc%20pictures/HPIM0617.jpg

NickM
06-22-2009, 11:04 PM
I know I was going to keep you updated, but there has really been no change, even when it was 80 outside.
It actually runs slightly cooler (half a needle's width) with the AC on-I attribute that to the auxilary fan running.

Nick