PDA

View Full Version : Dana 30 High Pinion - Houston Area

Geo Fry
02-08-2011, 09:48 PM
I need a high pinion Dana 30 with 3.55 gears (usually find these out of XJs with a 4.0 and an auto transmission). I'm planning on building it up a bit and replacing bearings, u joints, etc... so it doesn't have to be in great condition. Tax money just came in for me so I'm ready to get a new axle to have my 4x4 back!!

If you don't have one but know someone who does or know where I can find one or know who to ask to get one or just wanna let me have yours, then that works too :D

Going crazy with my bad luck at the junkyards :smiley-scared002: so help me out

Kyle

bigjim350
02-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Do you care if it is a CAD D30? If not the junkyard down the street may have one, and I will check on the price for you.

XJ4IV
02-08-2011, 11:27 PM
hey man I KNOW you can just upgrade to dana 44's for a little more money... then you most likely will never need to replace them! Just get a set from any ford f150 4x4... they will have the matching gear ratio as well, and I THINK might even use the same u-joint and they also give you that wider aggressive stance!!! thats MY favorite feature!

Geo Fry
02-08-2011, 11:36 PM
hey man I KNOW you can just upgrade to dana 44's for a little more money... then you most likely will never need to replace them! Just get a set from any ford f150 4x4... they will have the matching gear ratio as well, and I THINK might even use the same u-joint and they also give you that wider aggressive stance!!! thats MY favorite feature!

What about coil bucket and all the brackets. I'm not a welder but if it's only a thing or two to modify to get to work then maybe it's something I could do. I was looking for just some plug and play to get me going for now. Also I can't really spend too much...

Geo Fry
02-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Do you care if it is a CAD D30? If not the junkyard down the street may have one, and I will check on the price for you.

I don't know a whole bunch about disco axles, but can't I just swap the shafts out with the shafts I have in mine now to convert it to non disconnect or is there more to it than that?

Metlic53
02-09-2011, 12:39 AM
I need a high pinion Dana 30 with 3.55 gears (usually find these out of XJs with a 4.0 and an auto transmission). I'm planning on building it up a bit and replacing bearings, u joints, etc... so it doesn't have to be in great condition. Tax money just came in for me so I'm ready to get a new axle to have my 4x4 back!!

If you don't have one but know someone who does or know where I can find one or know who to ask to get one or just wanna let me have yours, then that works too :D

Going crazy with my bad luck at the junkyards :smiley-scared002: so help me out

Kyle

I bought XJ4Iv's front dana 30 HP, i'll be taking the lock right out and the axle shafts and maybe a couple other things then i'll sell the rest (all you'll need is shafts and spider gears i think. If you are interested. only thing is i dont know when i'll be getting it from him, he's upgrading to dana 60's and is in the process right now.

XJ4IV
02-09-2011, 01:05 AM
I bought XJ4Iv's front dana 30 HP, i'll be taking the lock right out and the axle shafts and maybe a couple other things then i'll sell the rest (all you'll need is shafts and spider gears i think. If you are interested. only thing is i dont know when i'll be getting it from him, he's upgrading to dana 60's and is in the process right now.

I found the Lockright box.... WHICH has my original Spider gears... so geo you can have those as well.... and metlic you get the box for the locker... I THINK theres a manual in there, I havent looked in the box in over a year!

Geo Fry
02-09-2011, 01:40 AM
Sure, that sounds great. I can just use my existing shafts. I'm pretty sure I can use my existing spider gears too, right? My D30 has 3.05 gearing, and gearing doesn't affect the spider gears does it?

How much would you want for a shaftless D30?

XJ4IV
02-09-2011, 03:24 AM
thats metlics call, he already paid for the whole shebang! and yes the spider gears are the same!

bigjim350
02-09-2011, 11:13 PM
I don't know a whole bunch about disco axles, but can't I just swap the shafts out with the shafts I have in mine now to convert it to non disconnect or is there more to it than that?

Yeah you can just put your shafts in there to swap it over. I will go get a price tomorrow (Thursday). And the D44 is a nice upgrade, but it is not plug and play, and to do it right would probably cost between $500 and $1000 depending on how much fab you do yourself, and how cheap you get the parts for. Unless you find a TJ D44 out of a Rubicon, that is plug and play, but VERY hard to find.