PDA

View Full Version : Gonna buy a winch.

muddeprived
06-03-2009, 08:57 AM
I can't stand seeing the empty space on my paper towel holder so I am going to give in and buy a freakin winch.

I need your help though. I used to have a milemarker 9k that I abused on a weekend basis for three years. It never let me down but the motor did need replaced twice. I think it's time to try out another brand and I am considering smittybilt. This is what I'm considering (from 4wd hardware):

Smittybilt XRC8 Winch $299

* Rated Line Pull: 8000Lbs (3630kgs) single-line
* Motor: 5.5hp Series Wound
* Control: Remote Switch, 12' (3.7m) lead
* Gear Train: 3-Stage Planetary
* Gear Ratio: 172.8:1
* Clutch: Rotating Ring Gear
* Brake: Automatic In-The-Drum
* Drum Size: Diameter 2.5 (63.5mm) Length8.75 (222mm)
* Wire Rope: 94' 5/16 Diameter (28m, 8.2mm Diameter)
* Fairlead: 4-Way Roller
* Remote Control: Included
* Recommended Battery: 650CCA Minimum for Winching Battery Leads: 25mm2, 72(1.83m)
* Finish: Black
* Weight: 80.5Lbs (36.5Kgs)

Smittybilt XRC10 Winch $399

* Rated Line Pull: = 10000 lbs.
* Voltage: =12V
* Motor: =5.5 HP Series Wound Motor
* Remote Control: = 12 Ft. Lead
* 3 Stage planetary gear system
* 218:1 gear ratio
* Comes with a automatic load-holding brake

Is it really worth the extra 100 bucks for an additional 2k pulling capacity? I know my rig weighs out at 3800 lbs so 8k is more than twice the weight of the jeep. I will be picking up one or the other today so let me know what you would go with.

Thanks

Mudderoy
06-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Which ever one you get, get the wireless remote so you can winch from the comfort of your living room!

Seriously though when I get my winch I'm getting one of those wireless deals. I also want a in the cab winch control.

I'm going to get the Superwinch epi9.0 though, so can't help you on the two you are looking at.

I know what you mean about filling that empty space though. I just keep telling myself at least you have a bumper on the Jeep that you can put a winch on. :boohoo:

muddeprived
06-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Which ever one you get, get the wireless remote so you can winch from the comfort of your living room!

Seriously though when I get my winch I'm getting one of those wireless deals. I also want a in the cab winch control.

I'm going to get the Superwinch epi9.0 though, so can't help you on the two you are looking at.

I know what you mean about filling that empty space though. I just keep telling myself at least you have a bumper on the Jeep that you can put a winch on. :boohoo:

I had the incab switch for my old winch. That was a cool thing but i really never used it cuz i was always winching from the outside and my gf was always the driver when i winched. I don't think the smittybilt winch comes with a wireless control.

Mudderoy
06-03-2009, 09:13 AM
99.9% of the time a remote "cabled" control will do all you need, I am sure.

The in cab thing would be for those times I was pulling someone else out and I didn't want to get out of the Jeep. rofl

muddeprived
06-03-2009, 09:17 AM
99.9% of the time a remote "cabled" control will do all you need, I am sure.

The in cab thing would be for those times I was pulling someone else out and I didn't want to get out of the Jeep. rofl

Yeah I know what you mean. I used to yank people out of the snow when we had bad weather here. Standing out in -5 degree weather waiting or my ultra-slow milemarker to winch up a car isn't exactly cozy. That's why I got the in-cab but only used it once after installing it. :cool:

Why did you choose superwinch?

Mudderoy
06-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Yeah I know what you mean. I used to yank people out of the snow when we had bad weather here. Standing out in -5 degree weather waiting or my ultra-slow milemarker to winch up a car isn't exactly cozy. That's why I got the in-cab but only used it once after installing it. :cool:

Why did you choose superwinch?

I won't use my winch very often, or at least that is what I think, so I want to be sure that I have a winch that will work when I need it. Originally I was going to go with a Warn, assuming that price = quality. I was talking about it with Mark over at Detours one day and he recommended that I look up a site that had real world reviews of Warn and Superwinch.

Superwinch looked like an excellent alternative to the Warn which in many cases was much more expensive. So many months later when I was asking Mark to build my winch bumper he asked what winch I was going to use. He needed to know so he could be sure it would fit in the custom bumper. I told him Superwinch epi9.0.

I'm sure if I had more experience with winches, which I have none, I would feel more comfortable buying a less expensive winch made in China, but the main reason I am building up the Jeep is to have a way to get out of harms way. I'm not going to cheap out on the winch and be standing there stuck because I saved $200 with a hurricane bearing down on me and my family.

muddeprived
06-03-2009, 09:58 AM
I won't use my winch very often, or at least that is what I think, so I want to be sure that I have a winch that will work when I need it. Originally I was going to go with a Warn, assuming that price = quality. I was talking about it with Mark over at Detours one day and he recommended that I look up a site that had real world reviews of Warn and Superwinch.

Superwinch looked like an excellent alternative to the Warn which in many cases was much more expensive. So many months later when I was asking Mark to build my winch bumper he asked what winch I was going to use. He needed to know so he could be sure it would fit in the custom bumper. I told him Superwinch epi9.0.

I'm sure if I had more experience with winches, which I have none, I would feel more comfortable buying a less expensive winch made in China, but the main reason I am building up the Jeep is to have a way to get out of harms way. I'm not going to cheap out on the winch and be standing there stuck because I saved $200 with a hurricane bearing down on me and my family.

I understand. I have some experience with winches and I know that if you keep the internals clean and wire connectors corrosion-free then the winch should give you years of trouble free service. I bought the milemarker (cheap winch) and beat on it weekend after weekend. It never failed to get me out but the motor did start sounding terrible so I had to replace it. When i opened the motor, it was full of dust, dirt, mud, and broken magnet pieces so I can see why it was on it's way out. One time the wired controller didn't work so I had to use the "pliers trick" to get the winch running but the controller started working again later on. I suggest mounting the box inside the engine bay, out of the elements. There's not much on the winch itself that weather can harm.

Mudderoy
06-03-2009, 10:04 AM
I understand. I have some experience with winches and I know that if you keep the internals clean and wire connectors corrosion-free then the winch should give you years of trouble free service. I bought the milemarker (cheap winch) and beat on it weekend after weekend. It never failed to get me out but the motor did start sounding terrible so I had to replace it. When i opened the motor, it was full of dust, dirt, mud, and broken magnet pieces so I can see why it was on it's way out. One time the wired controller didn't work so I had to use the "pliers trick" to get the winch running but the controller started working again later on. I suggest mounting the box inside the engine bay, out of the elements. There's not much on the winch itself that weather can harm.

Hey thanks for the information. Milemarker was one I was considering a couple of years ago based on friend having one. Curious, how much was it to replace the motor?

kryptonitexj
06-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Hey Tony,
there is a Super winch epi9.0 on craigslist for sale in houston. If I had the free cash i would buy it. heres the link. http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/1199602453.html
I know time are tuff but i thought I would share!!!!:smiley-taunt002::gitrdun:

Mudderoy
06-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Hey Tony,
there is a Super winch epi9.0 on craigslist for sale in houston. If I had the free cash i would buy it. heres the link. http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/1199602453.html
I know time are tuff but i thought I would share!!!!:smiley-taunt002::gitrdun:

Thanks, I emailed them. I really can't afford it, but it's a good price if it is new. If you want we can go 50/50 on it and we'll keep it on my Jeep! :smiley-laughing021:

muddeprived
06-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Hey thanks for the information. Milemarker was one I was considering a couple of years ago based on friend having one. Curious, how much was it to replace the motor?

$90. That was four years ago though. They sent me the wrong motor the first time. It was a bit larger than the one i had. I got a replacement one week later and it was the wrong size too (too tall). They told me to keep the two motors and they will send me a 3rd and that one was the right one. I made the wrong larger motor work with it after the replacement motor "dried up". So in my case, it was buy one, get two free. :rotfl2:

muddeprived
06-03-2009, 12:46 PM
I picked up a xrc8 today. :drool: I also got it with a lifetime warranty. The total for everything was $350. Now I'm lookin for a trusty snatch block for cheap online. They had em for $80 at 4wd. Too much IMO.

kryptonitexj
06-03-2009, 02:34 PM
!!!Wheres the pics!!!! I wanna see!!!! Where did you buy it from? Good job on the warrenty. you will use it!!!:driving:

Mudderoy
06-03-2009, 02:38 PM
:worthlesspics:

muddeprived
06-03-2009, 07:11 PM
well I gotta open the box first ya know........:smiley-laughing021:

(bought it from 4wd hardware)

muddeprived
06-04-2009, 06:07 AM
Ok got pictures for you picture whores...

Two hours later:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/winch/DSCF6102.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/winch/DSCF6103.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/winch/DSCF6104.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/winch/DSCF6105.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/winch/DSCF6106.jpg

Hookin it up was a breeze. I'm not digging the roller fairlead. If anyone has a new hawse and wants to trade, lemme know.

Mudderoy
06-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Don't be hating on us. Just post the pictures and smile.

You know a XJ with a winch is like a pretty girl with implants. It just looks DAMN better. :popcorn:

muddeprived
06-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Don't be hating on us. Just post the pictures and smile.

You know a XJ with a winch is like a pretty girl with implants. It just looks DAMN better. :popcorn:

You know there's no hatin. By now you should know i'm a picture whore anyways. ;)

And yes it does look SO much better, but will look even better with a hawse.

kryptonitexj
06-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Hey, I have a Hawse in my garage Im not going to use. Its a Little rough but nothing a little sanding and paint cant fix. Just FYI if you are going to keep the cable I would keep the roller's the hawse can be hard on cables espically on hard side pulls. Its your if you want it.

muddeprived
06-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Hey, I have a Hawse in my garage Im not going to use. Its a Little rough but nothing a little sanding and paint cant fix. Just FYI if you are going to keep the cable I would keep the roller's the hawse can be hard on cables espically on hard side pulls. Its your if you want it.

Thanks man but I found one locally. I'm still gonna sell the roller though. I'm not liking how it's so far forward and the chromish color hurts my eyes. :) I used a hawse on my MM and it was ok. I kept it well lubed and rust free. It worked out pretty well.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/bumper-1.jpg

Melissa
06-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Ok got pictures for you picture whores...
Two hours later:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/winch/DSCF6102.jpg

Hookin it up was a breeze. I'm not digging the roller fairlead. If anyone has a new hawse and wants to trade, lemme know.

Looks good :drool::drool: :thumbsup:

jugbutt
06-18-2009, 07:45 PM
That is a goog IDEA mounting it under the hood!

muddeprived
06-19-2009, 02:17 AM
That is a goog IDEA mounting it under the hood!

Yeah it was an idea but now I don't think I will be doing it cuz there's not much room under the hood and it gets VERY hot in there. I have a home-made snorkel plan coming up so I need all the spare space under there as it is.