PDA

View Full Version : ? Vacuum Hose?

Melissa
03-20-2009, 12:50 AM
I've got another question.
I replaced this vacuum hose on my jeep because while my jeep was running this hose would collapse in on it's self and make a noise. It never affected how my jeep ran but was irritating to listen to. What is this vacuum hose and what is it supposed to be doing?
I tried to look it up in my Haynes manual, but I have no idea what I am supossed to look under.:smiley-dance011:

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/HPIM0398.jpg

Mudderoy
03-20-2009, 12:54 AM
That big hose running from the valve cover to the air filter box was collapsing? :smiley-scared002:

Melissa
03-20-2009, 12:59 AM
this hose is behind the big one that runs to my air filter box. It is at the back of my motor and runs to the exhaust mainfold, I think. I can get more pics tomorrow if that helps.

Mudderoy
03-20-2009, 01:05 AM
I think it runs to the intake manifold. The exhaust manifold is below the intake.

One line runs from the valve cover to the air intake, the other runs to the intake manifold.

I just assumed these were to keep the valve cover from venting on top of the engine. The engine vacumn pulls off the gases and runs it through the system.

I think that hose is metal on mine.

Melissa
03-20-2009, 01:21 AM
So since it took me awhile to find the noise and replace the hose, do you think it was doing any damage?

Mudderoy
03-20-2009, 01:28 AM
No. I think it's mainly for pressure equalization. I'm a little concerned the hose was collapsing. I guess it could have been the wrong type of hose, or bad though.

Melissa
03-20-2009, 02:31 AM
The hose I took off was pretty thin, like surgical tubbing. I replaced it with a hose that is alot stiffer. It's what the parts store here in Heppner recommend.

Mudderoy
03-20-2009, 02:32 AM
Yep that sounds right then. It was just the wrong hose for the job.

Maybe someone else will chime in but I think you're just fine.

DETOURS
03-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Hose was just getting old, breaking down.

Much like...........

If you leave Capt. Crunch soaking in milk long enough, it gets soft and wont rip the roof of your mouth apart........know what I mean?

Melissa
03-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Hose was just getting old, breaking down.

Much like...........

If you leave Capt. Crunch soaking in milk long enough, it gets soft and wont rip the roof of your mouth apart........know what I mean?

I liked that analogy :giggle:

DETOURS
03-21-2009, 09:00 PM
2 days later, mouth still torn up from peanutbutter crunch........:(

Someday I'll tell you about my GREAT idea for milk..............which I cant seem to sell anybody on......