PDA

View Full Version : Server Swap

Mudderoy
02-01-2011, 07:15 AM
We are on the backup server now. Sorry for the short notice but the old/original one just couldn't handle the load of the users plus the forum spammers.

Please let me know if you don't see something or worse see something you didn't before!!! :smiley-laughing021:

Outlaw
02-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Well it seems to be running much smoother, at least on my end.:thumbsup:

bluedragon436
02-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Seems to be running pretty smoothly on my end... was messing up a little bit ago... but I think it was just around midnight-0200 timeframe... when it usually does backups and such..

Mudderoy
02-02-2011, 04:57 AM
I've received 3 down notices from an automated service that I use, but checking on the site it's just fine.

This is why I don't like changing things because you never know how it's going to react. Very frustrating to know something and it do different than what you expect.

Stick with us guys, it may take a few more days to get everything stable again.

OrangeXJ
02-02-2011, 05:07 AM
There was a wile yesterday I could not get on

Mudderoy
02-02-2011, 05:28 AM
I know it's a pain, and you really shouldn't have to do this, but I would find it helpful to diagonse any problem if you would post here when you couldn't access the site and any message that was displayed.

HTML 404 for example.

Also do me a favor and refresh your browser. If you can access, not access, access, not access between refreshes I know what the problem is.

Mudderoy
02-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Well when it rains it pours. Our neck of the woods lost power this morning for about 30 minutes. UPS doesn't hold the servers up that long. So we should be good now at least until another power failure. :thumbsup:

LizardRunner
02-02-2011, 10:01 AM
loads a little slow here, but that is a problem on this end only. The DSL is down at home and we have been waiting about a week now for ATT to get it back up, which they haven't done because of the weather.

Mudderoy
02-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Rolling blackouts in the area. Site may be up and down. I suspect it will be more so tonight when it gets colder and more people put more demand on the electrical system.

LizardRunner
02-02-2011, 01:14 PM
man, the cold has hit hard all over it seems.

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.xjtalk.com/index.php

The following error was encountered: Connection to 75.63.103.185 Failed
The system returned: (110) Connection timed outThe remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

got this for the last two hours trying to get back on. finally made it though.

Mudderoy
02-02-2011, 01:21 PM
The problem with the timing of all this is the site may be up and working fine for me, but I access the site differently than you guys. Every time I access it like you guys would it works for me.

I don't know if what I have changed is causing the problems, or if weather is causing the problems with my Internet connection, your Internet connection or the connection in between us.

With the power failures on top of all that, well hell!

I made a change yesterday that exposed an issue I wasn't aware of. Now when you try to access the site you will be directed to one of two IP addresses.

Both of these IP addresses are on the same system, but it seems my ISP isn't getting traffic to one of the two addresses.

So what happens is you have a 50/50 chance of the site coming up. If it doesn't hit the refresh and it will try the second IP address. You never know what side of the 50 your going to be on.

I have removed the non-working IP address so this issue should clear up slowly over the next NOW to 72 hours. Yeah I know 3 days!!!!! That was in the olden days though. Most ISPs update there databases faster than 3 days.

bluedragon436
02-03-2011, 08:12 AM
3 Days.... what am I supposed to do if I loose xjtalk for 3 days??? LOL... do they have detox clinics for this situation??? LOL.....

4.3LXJ
02-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Tony, I have found the real problem with the old server. It is here.

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs13/f/2007/077/2/e/Animator_vs__Animation_by_alanbecker.swf

Mudderoy
02-04-2011, 05:13 AM
Yeah turned out there was something going on that I've never seen before. Two network cards were fighting over the same IP address. They were assigned different addresses but from the ISP equipment's side the IP address was changing interfaces.

I removed the 2nd network card and the problem stopped.