PDA

View Full Version : Extended Site Outage

Mudderoy
01-29-2011, 01:49 AM
Well guys I didn't check the site before taking a little nap this evening and BOOM it bit me on the a$$.

I'm going out to msmoorenburg's shop tomorrow to see if we can straighten out the damage on the Mustang so it may not be tomorrow (today Saturday) but I'll try switching the site over to the back up server.

It's been ready to go for some time, I just didn't want to have any prolonged outages. There seems to always be problems that you don't envision when you do something like this so I haven't wanted to cause you guys problems.

I think the site going down this much make is necessary to take the risk.

The problem with the server we are on is memory. It has double what it had when I originally installed the operating system. As server demands increase it uses more memory. When it runs out of memory, all systems do, it tries to copy some of the least used memory to disk and it starts this swapping from disk to memory to deal with the demands you guys are putting on it.

Well the file, the swap file, is HALF the size it needs to be and the server runs out of memory (no actually but effectively that is what is happening)

I've allocated all the disk space so I can't add more swap file space.

The other system has double the disk space and double the memory with a properly sized swap file.

Let's plan on switching over to the backup server sometime on Sunday. I'll firm up the time as it gets closer.

Again very sorry about the extended outage. I have sent several of you a message on Facebook with my cell phone number so you can text me when there is an outage. There is a service that does this automatically but I don't always hear it if I've crashed and burned in the bed. A few more text messages would probably wake me up! :smiley-scared002:

cantab27
01-29-2011, 01:54 AM
all good tony ,,,appreciate the work ya do on the site ,,,must take up a few hours ,
cheers again mate ............................................