PDA

View Full Version : I want to get into HAM radio...

Outlaw
01-23-2011, 12:13 PM
So I have been reading the CB threads and the HAM radio thread and would like to get into HAM radio, I already had planned on getting a CB for the XJ but then I thought about getting in to HAM... and not the meat :smiley-laughing021: I wanted to get some basic information about what is Involved with the HAM setup and a good starter unit. The difference between 2 meter and 10 meter. Any info on this subject would be great THANKS!!

BlueXJ
01-23-2011, 12:18 PM
PM Mudderoy he is a Ham operator.

Mudderoy
01-23-2011, 12:51 PM
So I have been reading the CB threads and the HAM radio thread and would like to get into HAM radio, I already had planned on getting a CB for the XJ but then I thought about getting in to HAM... and not the meat :smiley-laughing021: I wanted to get some basic information about what is Involved with the HAM setup and a good starter unit. The difference between 2 meter and 10 meter. Any info on this subject would be great THANKS!!

I'll tell you what I know about first.

I had an ICOM IC-2100H 2 meter mobile radio. I sold it for about $125 a few years ago on ebay.

I just checked and there is one up for auction with a current bid of $93

:link:

The current ICOM model is the IC-2200H
http://icomamerica.com/images/products/large/2200H_1.jpg

I think it's about $250 new. The 2100H has a 50 watt output and the 2200H has a 65 watt output.

You can get an antenna for about $30, or you can spend more. I don't see the point though. A nice quarter-wave Larson.

Now I will say this. The 2 meter communication is VERY nice as it is FM and you never (*almost never) hear anything but local people. So it is very quiet and you can talk to someone miles and miles away simply because you are not competing with some many other people on the same channel (CB term).

The biggest problem with HAM and 2 meter is that MOST Jeepers don't have the license or the radio. So if you are getting communications to talk to your fellow Jeepers, you better get what they have. If that is FS Radio, or CB, well you're kind of stuck.

Outlaw
01-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks Mudderoy... I have been a long time fan of CB but I also want something for emergency use as well... And I know how silent or how crowded CB channels can be. I have always wondered about HAM just never really looked into it because I had a CB and thought that was cool enough. Plus Im the guy that drives around after major storms and helps out. This last snow storm we had here a huge tree fell across the road... I was the first one out there with my chainsaw cutting it up, maybe because I am the only one around my "hood" with a chainsaw, but I knew the city would take a week to get out there.

Mudderoy
01-23-2011, 02:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9HZtvsiHm8

Mudderoy
01-23-2011, 02:22 PM
I like this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHjB5ulNt4g

Outlaw
01-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Wow! that is amazing!:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
01-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Wow! that is amazing!:thumbsup:

Yeah first time I've seen that. I knew you could communicate with the ISS but I thought it was data stream only. Something called packet radio. If I recall the antenna they are using for 2 meters is a small antenna suction cupped to the INSIDE of one of the windows on the space station. :rotfl2:

http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/ariss/#freqs

Mudderoy
01-25-2011, 02:19 PM
I received this e-mail from a local "Houston" area ham group today. Not specific for you but will give you a general idea of what to expect.

One day Technician Class Ham Cram Class overview:

Class Date: February 19th, 2011

Class size is limited and pre-registration with Jerry is required.

The class will be held in a conference room at St Luke’s Hospital at I-45 and Highway 242 in The Woodlands. Enter the hospital thru the main entrance. Go to the right, go past the gift shop and take the 1st hallway to the right. Go to the end of the hallway, just past the bathrooms, and the conference rooms will be at the end. The class will be in conference rooms 1, 2 and 3.

Doors open at 8:00am. Registration and introduction/overview takes about an hour and study begins promptly at 9:00am. Testing is at 4:00pm.

Cost is $25.00 CASH which includes the $15.00 exam fee. The exam fee is set by the Federal Communications. If you fail the exam by one or two questions and want to try again you may repeat the exam immediately however it costs
another $15.00. That money goes to the examiners, not me. Payment is cash
and cash only, the green stuff. I don’t take checks any more because it seems I never get around to cashing them and they go stale dated. I will happily provide a cash receipt if you need one. The only time I will entertain accepting a check is if a government agency (like the Sheriff’s Office) is sending people to the class and the agency is paying for it. Ask me in advance.

One form of government issued photo ID, most commonly a Driver License. For those too young to have a DL the most common form is a school ID.

This room is right next to the hospital cafeteria for coffee, etc during breaks between study periods. We have one hour off for lunch. In addition to the hospital cafeteria there are ample junk food outlets within half a mile.

There is no upper or lower age limit. Although I’m glad to see them try, really young candidates, say below age 10, don’t seem to do very well and careful consideration should be given prior to enrolling someone younger than that. Anybody taking the class needs to be able to sit and concentrate on the study guide a full day prior to the exam. Teenagers that attend the class and spend most of the day watching movies on their laptop or fiddling with their smart phone instead of studying typically fail the exam. Call me if you want to discuss whether to bring a child to the class.

There are no prerequisites or materials required for the class other than to arrive rested and ready to study all day. In fact I ask that candidates do not do any studying ahead of time as it can interfere with the method I use to get them past the test.

Remember, this class does not teach you to be a ham radio operator. You must turn to a ham acquaintance for help with that. All I do is get you through the exam so you have the license. It’s up to you to learn to be a ham operator. I do provide some hints for getting started.

Study materials are only provided for the Technician Class License. Testing will be available for all classes of license at 4:00pm. Morse Code is no longer required for any Amateur Radio License in the USA.

Specific details as well as forms to fill out ahead of time will be emailed to everybody registered for the class a few days prior to the class.

Email with any additional questions or call me at {removed}. Thank you for your interest in Amateur Radio.

Jerry

Outlaw
01-26-2011, 06:44 AM
Thanks alot!:thumbsup: I will be doing some local research here in the next few days to find out what materials I will need to study and where the exam takes place :patriot:

bluedragon436
02-01-2011, 01:17 AM
I think that is absolutely amazing... to be able to talk to the ISS... I wonder if it was only Col. Wheelock that was Ham qualified, or if there will be more chances to talk to future folks up there... I wonder where they got the printout you always see him using to refer to the different passes of the ISS?!.. I have considered getting into HAM operation too... maybe I should continue looking into that.. I think it would be a fun hobby..

prerunner1982
04-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Also for anyone that wants to listen in on some area repeaters go to www.RadioReference.com and check out the live feeds. Not only can you listen to Police and Fire Dept they also have Amateur radio.

dagr8tim
09-26-2011, 09:33 PM
I know this topic is stale, but I wanted to share. My first ham 'rig' was a 1978 kenwood 2 meter without PL tones, a modified PC power supply, a mag mount antenna, and a cookie sheet.

I had about $50 invested.

Mudderoy
09-26-2011, 09:36 PM
I know this topic is stale, but I wanted to share. My first ham 'rig' was a 1978 kenwood 2 meter without PL tones, a modified PC power supply, a mag mount antenna, and a cookie sheet.

I had about $50 invested.

We don't play that stale game here. Post anytime.

My first 2 meter radio was a kit from Heathkit. My first 2 meter handy talky was an ICOM 2AT, which I still have! :D

Joliet Johnny
01-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Tony has given me a new thing to look into and as usual I went to iTunes to see what I could find. http://hamradioclass.org/ is what I found. These guys went though the study book for the ham tests and made a podcast. Now I just need to find a testing place that does it when I dont work.

Mudderoy
01-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Tony has given me a new thing to look into and as usual I went to iTunes to see what I could find. http://hamradioclass.org/ is what I found. These guys went though the study book for the ham tests and made a podcast. Now I just need to find a testing place that does it when I dont work.

You might consider joining our ham radio forum and post about your adventure into HAM radio. It's dead over there so don't think you'll be getting lots of responses or anything at first. :D

http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

dagr8tim
01-15-2012, 07:23 AM
All you need for testing is two ham's who are of a higher class that are VE's. Literally if you could find the people, you could do the test at your kitchen table.

I'm considering getting my VE.

RickBunn
03-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Advice from an OLD HAM. FIND a local club. Join and be active with the local amateur radio club. IF you need help finding one, call or go to the WWW.ARRL.ORG.
I have an 89 Cherokee that I keep for use as an amateur radio platform. Equipped with an ICOM 706 MK II G, AZDEN 6 meter FM unit, Kenwood D700A for 2 meter /440MHz with APRS and Packet and an Alinco 235 220MHz FM radio. HF antenna is a Tarheel II on a ball mount on the right rear.
73 and send me a PM if you have questions.
RickBunn
Alexandria, VA

Mudderoy
03-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Advice from an OLD HAM. FIND a local club. Join and be active with the local amateur radio club. IF you need help finding one, call or go to the WWW.ARRL.ORG.
I have an 89 Cherokee that I keep for use as an amateur radio platform. Equipped with an ICOM 706 MK II G, AZDEN 6 meter FM unit, Kenwood D700A for 2 meter /440MHz with APRS and Packet and an Alinco 235 220MHz FM radio. HF antenna is a Tarheel II on a ball mount on the right rear.
73 and send me a PM if you have questions.
RickBunn
Alexandria, VA

You might be interested in one of our sister sites, http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

bluedragon436
05-02-2012, 05:34 AM
You might be interested in one of our sister sites, http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

I joined up today.... I have been researching HAM radios more and more... And although it might not be too powerful I have been looking into a smaller mobile unit... Figure that way I can make it to where I could remove it from the XJ and travel with it.... or set it up to move to other vehicles in the family, especially when I travel or head home on leave... So I will for sure be posting some newb questions, if I am unable to find the answers I am looking for online...

prerunner1982
05-02-2012, 09:54 AM
So I will for sure be posting some newb questions, if I am unable to find the answers I am looking for online...

Post the questions first... and then search for your answers online. It will add content to the site and hopefully lead someone there if they have the same question.

bluedragon436
05-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Oh yeah... was definately the plan... trust me!! Not to mention posting what if anything I find while doing my research!! Gives even more posts to help!!

machinisttx
06-03-2012, 01:36 PM
I joined up today.... I have been researching HAM radios more and more... And although it might not be too powerful I have been looking into a smaller mobile unit... Figure that way I can make it to where I could remove it from the XJ and travel with it.... or set it up to move to other vehicles in the family, especially when I travel or head home on leave... So I will for sure be posting some newb questions, if I am unable to find the answers I am looking for online...

I realize this is sort of an old thread, but I'll chime in anyway.

First thing: There are three license classes for amature radio. The entry license is Technician class, next is General, and the third is Extra. You'll have more frequency privileges with general or extra class licenses, but for short range vehicle based communications, a technician license is sufficient.

The tech test is 35 questions, while the general and extra class tests are 50 questions each(IIRC). All of the possible questions and answers can be found online at multiple websites, or you can buy study guides that will explain the how/why in addition to containing the questions and answers. I took the tech and general class tests at the same time, and only paid a single test fee(around $15 or so, may be more or less). I was in and out in less than 30 minutes. A week or two later my call sign appeared in the FCC database and I was good to key a mic to say "howdy" to the local hams on air.

Regarding your plan to make the radio unit removable, google for "emcomm box". You'll need to remember to turn the output power of the radio unit down or your battery won't last long(assuming you plan on transmitting, receive usually doesn't consume tons of power). Another option would be a handy talky, but having gone that route myself I don't recommend it.*

*Having a handy talky as your only radio really sucks. Range and output power are very limited in comparison to a mobile mount unit. HT's will usually only have around 5 watts of output power on the 2m band, and may or may not have less on the 440 band. In comparison, I've not seen a mobile unit with less than 50 watts of output power, some go up to 100. Another option is to buy both a mobile unit and a HT. With this option, and assuming both units are capable, you can do what's known as cross band repeating, wherein you are basically using the mobile mount unit as a personal repeater. This is what I intend to do, but just haven't gotten around to buying a mobile unit for my xj.

If you intend to have longer range communications, you'll need a general or extra class license and a HF radio unit. Things will become much more involved as well. ;)

Good luck,
Joe

bluedragon436
06-13-2012, 04:06 AM
I realize this is sort of an old thread, but I'll chime in anyway.

First thing: There are three license classes for amature radio. The entry license is Technician class, next is General, and the third is Extra. You'll have more frequency privileges with general or extra class licenses, but for short range vehicle based communications, a technician license is sufficient.

The tech test is 35 questions, while the general and extra class tests are 50 questions each(IIRC). All of the possible questions and answers can be found online at multiple websites, or you can buy study guides that will explain the how/why in addition to containing the questions and answers. I took the tech and general class tests at the same time, and only paid a single test fee(around $15 or so, may be more or less). I was in and out in less than 30 minutes. A week or two later my call sign appeared in the FCC database and I was good to key a mic to say "howdy" to the local hams on air.

Regarding your plan to make the radio unit removable, google for "emcomm box". You'll need to remember to turn the output power of the radio unit down or your battery won't last long(assuming you plan on transmitting, receive usually doesn't consume tons of power). Another option would be a handy talky, but having gone that route myself I don't recommend it.*

*Having a handy talky as your only radio really sucks. Range and output power are very limited in comparison to a mobile mount unit. HT's will usually only have around 5 watts of output power on the 2m band, and may or may not have less on the 440 band. In comparison, I've not seen a mobile unit with less than 50 watts of output power, some go up to 100. Another option is to buy both a mobile unit and a HT. With this option, and assuming both units are capable, you can do what's known as cross band repeating, wherein you are basically using the mobile mount unit as a personal repeater. This is what I intend to do, but just haven't gotten around to buying a mobile unit for my xj.

If you intend to have longer range communications, you'll need a general or extra class license and a HF radio unit. Things will become much more involved as well. ;)

Good luck,
Joe

Thanks for that info Joe!! I think I will end up picking up a mobile unit one day... I will just have to take care of some other needed items, before I could afford to spend on the wanted items.. Thanks again for the info..

NW99XJ
08-19-2012, 02:29 PM
I personally have been lurking around the intrawebs now for a few weeks, trying to do a little bit of misguided research I can on Entry Level Ham Radio Operation. I stumbled across "Ham Radio For Dummies" http://www.amazon.com/dp/0764559877/?tag=hyprod-20&hvadid=15474473619&hvpos=1o4&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1869830160623260997&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&ref=asc_df_0764559877
Figured it might be a good place to start educating myself on the subject. I really dont know much of anything about HAM. Frequencies, models, output levels, licenses, or any of the basic terminology for that matter. I have to say the links in this thread have proven to be more educational so far than my "shooting an arrow in the dark" method of research so far. I'll update either here or in my build thread on my progress with my entry in the world of HAM Radio as time goes on. And when i get a little more "savvy" with things I'll be sure to head over to di-dah-dit.com

prerunner1982
09-29-2012, 12:34 AM
Come over to di-dah-dit anyways....I did and if I can do it so can you. lol

Not a whole heck of a lot of info there yet..but it certainly doesn't hurt to ask questions.