PDA

View Full Version : Replacement CB

xjjeepthing
06-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Thinking about getting a new CB for the XJ. Its time to replace my old Midland. Looking at radios with weather band. Any thoughts

Mudderoy
06-01-2009, 12:07 PM
It's been years since I looked at the various brands of CBs and their capabilities. I had a Cobra 148GT (I think that was the model). That's an old radio though, so no weather band on it.

http://www.rigpix.com/cbfreeband/cobra_148nwst.jpg

2000XJ
06-03-2009, 07:12 AM
If you want to go with a compact CB look into the Cobra 75WXST I think is what it's called. Only thing about that is that it isn't too loud so you'd have to get an external speaker for it.

Mudderoy
06-03-2009, 08:59 AM
I'd recommend an external speaker with anything you buy. If you can mount it up high even better. I think your switches are in the way but mounting a small radio between the visors is great. You don't need an external speaker and your not banging your knees on anything.

If I had a small CB that's where I would mount it. :D

2000XJ
06-04-2009, 12:14 AM
I love having the external speaker. I have my CB mounted on the center console on the pass-side, and the external speaker is mounted to the overhead console right near my head, so it's always clear, and I don't have to have the volume cranked.

Xtreme XJ
06-08-2009, 01:32 AM
X 2 on both the 75 WXST... and the ext. speaker... has weather info.
I mounted mine inside the console on the hump section where the the E-brake tucks into... ran the power in from under the dash & the coaxial out the back along the bulkhead under the rear seat to the Dr. side then back under the trim to and out the cargo area up along the rear brake light and up the weather striping to the mag. mount in the center of the top at the rear of the roof.
I drilled a hole out the front of the console just big enough to fit the threaded fitting at the end of the coiled cable to go through, so it goes out the front on the pass. side of the console... one loop around the auto shifter and straight up to the rear view mirror where it's hooked easy to grab... EVERYTHING wiring wise is hidden... neither myself or the front pass. have to worry about banging knees or whatever on it...
One added note I ran it this way for 10 yrs. then the molded part that comes OUT of the mic started to dry rot so I boxed it back up in the org. box and put a $50. check in there with an explanation of what I was having trouble with then sent it away... a couple of weeks later I got a new radio in the mail stating that it wasn't repairable... so I got a new radio for $50.:thumbsup:
I like it's performance (with an ext. speaker), small size and weather...

Sorry for the length...

Curt

BlueXJ
06-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Very informative and easy to follow.

quadracer0387
06-08-2009, 08:35 PM
i had a radio shack cb.. it looked great, worked great, had weather, very loud, i think i would buy another

JG-Man
08-31-2009, 01:51 PM
I had a Cobra WXST in my Dodge Ram 4x4 mounted under the dash the same way as ExtremeXJ; just the connector for the mic sticking out of the lower center console. Easy to disconnect and hide from would be thieves. Also, like 2000XJ I mounted an external speaker for it up high next to my left ear (I need that anyway since my right ear has nerve damage from 9/11.)

Like an idiot I gave the whole set-up minus the external speaker to the guy who swaped me titles on my current 2000 XJ. That is why I am selling 2 Midland CBs in the classified section (and on Craig's List) to offset getting either another Cobra WXST or a Midland 75-822. They are both compact, both have 40 channels plus weather channels (I have come to really like that feature). The Midland 75-822 is a little more versatile though because it can be used as a walkabout handheld with it's own antenna, (great if you are going hiking!!) but can still be plugged in to your XJ as just a handset and plugged into a full sized CB antenna on your Jeep. There are good deals on e-Bay for the Midland model right now.

prerunner1982
09-04-2009, 05:31 PM
I have a couple old CBs that I have used in my various vehicles. Though I am having a problem with the one in my XJ. I think I need to hard wire it rather than through the cig lighter as I am getting interference from my radio. At anyrate I would like one with weather as well but can't justify the expense at the moment.

FunkSkunk
01-02-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Uniden PRO-510xl it's small, cheap, easy to place, and super reliable! And you don't have to deal with the redneck/trucker chrome BS that's on most other CBs. I've had mine for years and it's been rained on, mud, and shook like crazy and hasn't let me down! Pair that Uniden with a solid tunable antenna and you'll be amazed at it's clarity

bluedragon436
01-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Looks like a good unit... Might have to consider it for my options here shortly when I look to pick up a CB setup!!

Mudderoy
01-02-2011, 04:36 PM
On the few off road events I've been to I was disappointed to find that no one else had radio communications available. I'm still new to the off road experience but I would have thought that as cheap as CBs are now that having a two way radio installed in a Jeep would be a common thing.

Maybe it is and it was just the individuals I was off roading with that haven't gotten around to installing the equipment, or don't see the need.

I would also think that having a CB would be basic emergency communications.

For those of you that haven't looked into it recently, you might consider getting a HAM license. It's a multiple guess test and then for $100 to $200 you can pick up a 2 meter radio. It's FM and has a much greater range than a CB. There is no noise either. You just turn up the squelch and the only time you hear anything is when someone is talking. The antenna is less than two feet long, so you really can't even see it and you certainly don't have to worry about it hitting someone in the head like you do with a CB whip.