PDA

View Full Version : Rust converter

Pioneer
01-14-2011, 08:20 PM
I pulled up my carpet to redo the floor and found surface rust, no holes, but a bit more to wheel off. Has anyone used a rust converter? I was wondering which ones work the best.

Thanks

PEI-XJ
01-14-2011, 09:29 PM
i have not used these but have asked about then and a lot are saying they are great eastwood.com/eastwood-rust-converter
eastwood.com/rust-encapsulator

TheBigDogg
01-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Easywood has a lot of nice products, look for a product called POR 15. It stands for Paint Over Rust. Not sure about the 15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pioneer
01-15-2011, 01:57 AM
Thanks guys, I came across Eastwood and a few others, I want to go with this stuff called Coroseal. I have found the more information on it than anything else. Just need to cover this rust properly before I hurculine the floor. I will give Eastwood a second look. Thanks again.

JENSSEN
01-17-2011, 12:52 AM
I believe the 15 stands for the version that worked 1-14 didn't lol

88AMCOMANCHE
01-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Sorry this may be slightly OFF topic....But, Im in the process of repairing a rusty drver floorpan on my comanche, & the rust is so severe the entire front floorpan needas to be replaced. I have already realized what Im up against for replacing the Pan , but my problem is.....the frmae channel that runs on top of the floor pan and goes kinda from the back of the seat area, all the way up to the toeboard. Is there any where that has these pieces of frame? Basically the "pan" is kinda sandwhiched between the lower frame under the truck & the Inner frame of the interior. Its about 3-4 inches wide & slims down to about a 1/4" tall at the toeboard. I need this piece of frame badly. Any leads as to where to find one? tyvvm in advance~

88AMCOMANCHE
01-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Ive used OSPHO before & it simply STOPPED rust from rusting. Havent tried anything else.

JENSSEN
01-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Sorry this may be slightly OFF topic....But, Im in the process of repairing a rusty drver floorpan on my comanche, & the rust is so severe the entire front floorpan needas to be replaced. I have already realized what Im up against for replacing the Pan , but my problem is.....the frmae channel that runs on top of the floor pan and goes kinda from the back of the seat area, all the way up to the toeboard. Is there any where that has these pieces of frame? Basically the "pan" is kinda sandwhiched between the lower frame under the truck & the Inner frame of the interior. Its about 3-4 inches wide & slims down to about a 1/4" tall at the toeboard. I need this piece of frame badly. Any leads as to where to find one? tyvvm in advance~

I just made one, check the Comanche rebuild thread

Pioneer
01-20-2011, 09:55 PM
88AMCOMANCHE,

thanks for the tip!!! i looked at the ospho, and its serious stuff.

P

modestmar00xj
01-20-2011, 10:14 PM
yeah i have the same thing going on in my jeep Pioneer. i did some research and i think im going with POR-15.

Pioneer
01-21-2011, 11:51 PM
im going to look at eastwood's site now. going to compare it to coroseal.

BrianXJ
01-22-2011, 12:14 AM
http://www.por15.com/images/POR-15NewQrtGallon.jpg

Here is the POR-15 web site. :link: (http://www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/)

LizardRunner
04-11-2011, 03:58 PM
I use coreless (same paint they use on the golden gate bridge). All the stuff Eastwood has is excellent.

jccatt
04-11-2011, 04:30 PM
I would use a rust converter before you paint. It will neutralise the rust. Google it. Its a liquid.

88AMCOMANCHE
04-11-2011, 08:52 PM
I used POR15 too. a Bit pricey kinda....but it falls into the "get what ya pay for" catagory. So Far,Im very satisfied with the POR15,Because even though it could be many many months before i could give a true review of POR15,i can say...Ive had to remove some that I put on an area too soon, and it was a Nightmare to remove lol Finally used the Grinder wheel to Grind it off & even that wasnt easy to do.

jccatt
04-12-2011, 02:43 PM
3M Rust Dissolver is the stuff we use. They must have 3M in the States.

hookedonxjs
04-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Yep we do downunder it stands for minnesota mining and manufacturing.

jccatt
04-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Sweet, thats a good trivia question

PolarXJ
04-13-2011, 12:58 PM
I use POR15... it works great on the rust and sandblasted metal. It doesn't adhere to well on new metal. The do have a "metal prep" for new metal that helps. I use that and then coat it twice.

BlueXJ
04-13-2011, 01:19 PM
I had a 76 BMW 2002 that I rebuilt and I used the POR-15 and it worked well. It is easy to paint over and the paint adheres as well as any other over the POR-15, just like etching primer.

Pioneer
05-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Thanks guys, I found some stuff by Plastikote that I may try.

305 xj boi
05-06-2015, 08:11 PM
bump

dagod16
07-11-2015, 08:51 AM
I had rust that has bubbling up for years. I should have done this years ago.

I finally used my grandfathers old flat dental scraper and got to work. My son and I picked at it and so much metal came out.

Once it was all out we used the air compressor to blow it out to make sure all the little dirt was gone. This is amust do step.

Then we used Loctite Rust Neutralizer, and don't skimp. Use as much as the metal needs and then more.

Then walk away for a good hour, get a beer and kick back. I will attach pics.

Then once it is dry fill it with bondo, multiple coats, and sand in between. You might need to add layers to get the correct body shape that you want.

Then let it sit for 30 minutes, have a beer.

Then wet sand it, which works much better then dry sanding. Make sure you get every little dink is out or you will see it once you paint.

Then use the primer, first coat should be just a thin coating then in 15 minutes the rest of the primer. Let it sit for an hour.

Go sit in your recliner in the garage and chill.

Then spray on your paint, which the only the dealer sells at a cost of 4 times the cost of paint and half the size of the spray can.

Then your done.

This was my first bondo job. I think it looks good.

dagod16
07-11-2015, 08:55 AM
Pictures of my work. The only thing I noticed is that I have a very tiny tape edge line which nobody will care about because it's on an old jeep. But I noticed it.