PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst Mod

xjjeepthing
06-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Best and worst Mod you have done.
Each and everyday We think about a new possible project to do to our XJ's, so my question to everyone..

If you had to choose your fav upgrade/ modification to your XJ what would it be? and the cost?

And Why???

Audio222
06-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Out of all the modifications I have done the one that I like the most believe it or not is the 3 core radiator and transmission cooler tandem. I've got lift this kits and move that kits but they all do no good when you can't drive it. A set of simple mods that EVERYONE should do. Thank you my rant is over.

Mudderoy
06-01-2009, 12:14 PM
3 core and tranny cooler are pretty simple and just about $200. I agree those are good, especially the tranny cooler.

As far as the coolest, no pun intended, I just love new tires. Not the littles ones, but like L60's or the 36.5" I put on my old truck, or the 32" that I put on the Jeep. Nothing make a visual difference more than some new feet. (32x11.5x15 BFG MT, cost about $900 for 5)

I was leaving Sam's Club yesterday and walked by the tire department on the way out. The smell of new tires, love it. Of course I was enjoying the smell of the tires, but eyeballing the Optima batteries. ;)

UKJeepThang
06-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Out of all of the mods that I've done to my XJ, this mod has given me the most satisfaction and is in fact the best mod that I have ever done to any vehicle, jeep or otherwise

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/UKJeepThang/Jeep/P8130002.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D

BlueXJ
06-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Remanufactured engine a couple years ago to keep my old Renix on the road was the best modification. Putting the rear bumper on and not attaching it to the nutstrips was the worst.

Mudderoy
06-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Remanufactured engine a couple years ago to keep my old Renix on the road was the best modification. Putting the rear bumper on and not attaching it to the nutstrips was the worst.

I still have to do that to my rear bumper, ahhh don't tell spanky.

muddeprived
06-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Best and worst Mod you have done.
Each and everyday We think about a new possible project to do to our XJ's, so my question to everyone..

If you had to choose your fav upgrade/ modification to your XJ what would it be? and the cost?

And Why???

Best mod: locker ($250) Nothing beats traction. No lift will help if you don't have traction. ;)
Worst mod: Rusty's coils. ($99) They were nice initially then sagged some and became stiff. Bleh.

2000XJ
06-03-2009, 07:08 AM
I'd have to say that my best mod was a D44 swap with a locker.

My worst mod was the American Racing rims that I have. I love the way they look but hate the way they mount up - the holes for the lug nuts are so tiny that getting a socket in there is always a PITA.

TeXJ
06-08-2009, 06:38 PM
I want Gears!!! 4.56s plz!!

I love my locker, and 33s

firehawk
06-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Best mod(s)....the Dana 30 high pinion axle.:thumbsup: I guess I'm the ONLY person on earth that is COMPLETELY satisfied with the Rusty's parts I have.:confused: Oh... and the Big Daddy tierod:)

Worst mod(s).... wasting my money on the 2" lift not too long after I bought the Jeep.:headbag: Not real pleased with the Tomken rear bumper either. For that kind of money I feel the paint should stick alittle better/longer. I see a Tailbone in my future!!!

kmanxj
06-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Best mod(s)....the Dana 30 high pinion axle.:thumbsup: I guess I'm the ONLY person on earth that is COMPLETELY satisfied with the Rusty's parts I have.:confused: Oh... and the Big Daddy tierod:)

Worst mod(s).... wasting my money on the 2" lift not too long after I bought the Jeep.:headbag: Not real pleased with the Tomken rear bumper either. For that kind of money I feel the paint should stick alittle better/longer. I see a Tailbone in my future!!!

nope huge rustys fan here even have a window banner!!

my best mod i have a feeling will be the RE drop brackets that i willl be installing shortly lol

Worst would have to be the craptastic RC 3" lift:thumbdown:

quadracer0387
06-08-2009, 08:11 PM
best= 31" general grabber at2
worst= nothing yet

XJcoupe
06-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Best mod -new A/C unit in the dash- can ya see the high beems on the wife -haha
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo313/xjcoupe/Build%20Pics/30162410038_large.jpg
Worst mod- prev. owner welded the rear hitch to the uni-body, insted of nut-strip, now after a few tugs doing recovery the hitch is ripping out of the uni-body
time for a new frame build next

firehawk
06-08-2009, 08:52 PM
nope huge rustys fan here even have a window banner!!

my best mod i have a feeling will be the RE drop brackets that i willl be installing shortly lol

Worst would have to be the craptastic RC 3" lift:thumbdown:

DAMN, I like your XJ!!!:D

Well let's start the "I'm happy with Rusty's parts" club.:rolleyes: We're members 1&2.

Xtreme XJ
06-08-2009, 10:01 PM
***STOP THE PRESSES !!! EDIT !! not necessarily mods. more like replacement issue... Exide Orbital battery...There is NOT enough space on this server to handle how I feel about their product. Lost 3 within a year and a half... one in the middle of nowhere with the family along... that turned into an overnighter... ZERO customer service...
The other would be the Goodyear MTRs... 3 had plugs in within a few months... lost one just after exiting the the Virgin Riv. Gorge, lost he entire carcass, 70mile an hour sideways driving out the Dr. side window made for a little pucker factor...only had about 3 " flapping on each bead... again with the family...

Man I feel dirty now... sorry for the rant y'all...

It's funny cause I've been roaming the site & I saw this and thought... I like ALL my mods., just some better then others...
Then tonight I remembered... I HATE the Rugged Ridge steering upgrade which I believe is from Omix-Ada... nice size upgrade... looks awesome... but I went from the ZJ upgrade to the R. Ridge and more tie-rod roll then I EVER want. I had a guy make me up a few spacers out of what looked like a teflon cutting board... after one trip I split one and after a couple of trips it spit out another one... so those got replaced... one more split and I couldn't handle it. I could get the XJ down the road O.K., but I really had to pay attention.
Went back to the ZJ and I'm considerably happier.
It might be O.K. for a lower lift, but on my 4.5 it was like dirt track'n it. I might try Currie's someday... I'm not ready to do the mods. to go O.T.K. yet.

We got our XJ due to the first kid-let being born... my first and top one or two best mods. were canvas seat covers and floor/slush mats... while they didn't keep ALLL the crap off the seats/carpet... they've realllllly made a difference.

I dig allll the other stuff though.

Curt

kmanxj
06-08-2009, 10:22 PM
DAMN, I like your XJ!!!:D

Well let's start the "I'm happy with Rusty's parts" club.:rolleyes: We're members 1&2.

thanks right back at ya!!!!

and i am good with that lol

the only problem i had was my trac bar broke on the e way, not all the way but pulled the TRE out when i got on the side of the road. Now this was partly my fault and the guy i talked to at Rusty's (not rusty himself) i had the trac bar that came with the 4.5" lift. When i added 2 more inches, there just wasnt enough threads in the tube. But the guy i talked to said it would work. But i called them and told them what happened and they replaced the trac bar, and gave me the HD frame mount and end. All i had to do was pay for shipping to them. So i am stilll a happy customer after that.

jugbutt
07-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Well let's see

Best: Buying my jeep then putting the Optima battery (Yellow top)

Worst: Nothing yet!!!!!!! Other it still being stock :thumbdown:

Primo
08-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Best mods, 2" black dimond lift (warn). And my fav so far ungo remote start 2 way paging alarm!

Worst mod ever, juce box performance chip!!! (took it off after a week)

jimwww
08-17-2009, 01:18 AM
I bought a 99.00 battery this morning so it would start today. THat was a good mod. :-)

I hate that it does not have a headliner - hate it (minor I know) but with the rhino lined floor- me thinks I am driving a tin can!!

ehappy
08-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Best Mod: (Make me member #3 of the Rusty's fan club) Is my Rustys 3" HD spring pack lift kit... or front Aussie Locker... or Warn 8274 mounted to a Custom Detours Backbone...

Worst Mod: Plugging the CB Radio into the cig. lighter and letting it flop around on the floor! LOL Gonna fix dat this week though. :smiley-scared002:

muddeprived
08-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Best Mod: (Make me member #3 of the Rusty's fan club) Is my Rustys 3" HD spring pack lift kit... or front Aussie Locker... or Warn 8274 mounted to a Custom Detours Backbone...

Worst Mod: Plugging the CB Radio into the cig. lighter and letting it flop around on the floor! LOL Gonna fix dat this week though. :smiley-scared002:

You got a picture of the 8274 mounted? That's a pretty large winch and I'm curious how it looks in front of the xj grille. MY friend has one but in a winch cradle hooked up by a front receiver.

Mudderoy
08-18-2009, 01:56 PM
You got a picture of the 8274 mounted? That's a pretty large winch and I'm curious how it looks in front of the xj grille. MY friend has one but in a winch cradle hooked up by a front receiver.

Check out his pictures in the "New Members Introduce" lol it is big.

muddeprived
08-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Check out his pictures in the "New Members Introduce" lol it is big.

Just saw it. It is HUGE. :eek: The speed and capability of those winches are worth the extra weight. When we spooled in my buddy's 8274, it was so fast compared to my smittybilt. I had a hard time keeping up with the speed to spool it in.

ehappy
08-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Here's a link:

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1239

jugbutt
08-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Best: Buying my XJ

Worst: Not getting to start building a mean trail rig yet!

:driving::smiley-gen165::rotfl2:

threeEs99
08-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Best mod; trimming
Worst mod; Trans am hood vents

AJ99
08-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Best Mods... So far that i have gotten to use are my hood vents and trimming my fenders as much as i have. Oh and the RE 4.5 in lift and my bumper

Worst Mod... SHI&&Y Built XRC-8. I have had it since feb or march and it already went out... and my cheap cobra C/B

Mods i am currently working on is my Rock Krawler 6.5 in Long arm 3 link.

d0nt_h8
10-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Mine had a Worst Mod when I got it.. the kid who originally owned the vehicle must've trimmed the fenders with I dunno, a crowbar or something.. lol... there were gaping open panel areas.. he tried to fill them with xpanding foam, and well it wasn't pretty....

..but that's all being corrected as I write this ;-)

TeXJ
10-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Best Mods... So far that i have gotten to use are my hood vents and trimming my fenders as much as i have. Oh and the RE 4.5 in lift and my bumper

Worst Mod... SHI&&Y Built XRC-8. I have had it since feb or march and it already went out... and my cheap cobra C/B

Mods i am currently working on is my Rock Krawler 6.5 in Long arm 3 link.

you are one of the only ones i've seen that dont like these winches, do tell, what happened?

AJ99
11-01-2009, 12:34 AM
Well i thought it was the winch but turns out it was the connections. They had backed out and didnt get the proper connection so it sounded like the solenoids were not properly working.

Also the best mod by FAR that i have is my Rock Krawler 6.5 in Long Arms!!!!!!!

Logans91XJ
11-02-2009, 01:02 PM
So I have been reading through this and trying to think what have been the best mods to my jeep.
Best~
31x10.50 BFG AT KO -- I had 3 flats and finally broke down and bought tires.
Windshield -- A broken one sucks
Brakes, Calipers, Rotars, Pads and Rusty's Extended Brake Lines
Upper Control Arm Bushings
OEM UCA's
Bilstein 5100 shocks
All new Drive Shaft U-Joints
Manual seat tracks- My seats finally work

THE BEST FOR LAST
Chrysler 8.25 Locked, Painted and Ready to be bolted in! From my best friend for $120.00!!

Worst Mod
I will update when I find one, LOL

Voldemort
11-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Mine had a Worst Mod when I got it.. the kid who originally owned the vehicle must've trimmed the fenders with I dunno, a crowbar or something.. lol... there were gaping open panel areas.. he tried to fill them with xpanding foam, and well it wasn't pretty....

..but that's all being corrected as I write this ;-)

WOW I would have liked to see some pics.:camera:

TheWeiss
11-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Best Mod to my engine- K&N cold air the stock air box is worthless and unbelievably restrictive...although it would make a nice vaccum cleaner sucking so much air through such a small opening
I've also been really happy with my Borla Cat back

Worst Mod to my engine - Electric fans. I bought them off som guy on EBAY and they work well enough most of the time but heavy traffic in the summer really shows how inadequite they are. I think if I pick up a replacement 3 core radiator or chop the hood for some hood vents it should be fine. They give me about a mile per gallon driving city and make the car sound a million times better but the heat is slowly killing everything under my hood (water pump-my second, power steering pump, battery, alternator all within a year and a half of installing the fans)

Mudderoy
11-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Best Mod to my engine- K&N cold air the stock air box is worthless and unbelievably restrictive...although it would make a nice vaccum cleaner sucking so much air through such a small opening
I've also been really happy with my Borla Cat back

Worst Mod to my engine - Electric fans. I bought them off som guy on EBAY and they work well enough most of the time but heavy traffic in the summer really shows how inadequite they are. I think if I pick up a replacement 3 core radiator or chop the hood for some hood vents it should be fine. They give me about a mile per gallon driving city and make the car sound a million times better but the heat is slowly killing everything under my hood (water pump-my second, power steering pump, battery, alternator all within a year and a half of installing the fans)

I've read that you have to have a high RPM electric fan. 3,000 rpm comes to mind. I want to replace both my fans with two 3k electric fans. It's about $200. For the hood I'm going to go with the induction cowl hood. I've already done EVERYTHING else to the engine cooling system. :smiley-laughing021:

d0nt_h8
11-04-2009, 08:30 PM
WOW I would have liked to see some pics.:camera:

Yep, I took some. I'll see if I can't transfer them & upload by this weekend. I'll also upload some shots of the rebuild progress- she's almost all stripped down & ready for primer... still have to cut the vent spaces in the hood, but we're just about there ;-)

~C

4.3LXJ
11-04-2009, 08:39 PM
I've read that you have to have a high RPM electric fan. 3,000 rpm comes to mind. I want to replace both my fans with two 3k electric fans. It's about $200. For the hood I'm going to go with the induction cowl hood. I've already done EVERYTHING else to the engine cooling system. :smiley-laughing021:

It is not the RPM, it is the CFM. Electric fans are rated anywhere from 450 CFM up to 2200 CFM. I guess you know which would be better.

d0nt_h8
11-04-2009, 08:58 PM
http://shookweb.us/Jeep Photos 007.jpg

Here's one, post strip.. now I'll try and get those pre-prep pix on... they're on different mem-cards, lol...

~C

Rednecktimbo
12-06-2009, 01:46 AM
ok so i havent done it but the best "mod" ive seen is a vinyl stuck across a purely insane looking jeep rubicon that says "HUMMER RECOVERY VEHICLE"...made me laugh and i went from 6 to noon if ya know what i mean