PDA

View Full Version : Skid Plates

xjjeepthing
06-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Whats everybody got, what do you think is the most important.
I'm running AJ's Super rails and A Warn T-caes skid.

Mudderoy
06-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Factory, as in Up Country skids. Since I removed the front skid when I installed the Detours bumper, I am thinking about making my own for the front. Really move of a block for water and mud getting up into the engine bay, and alternator.

If anyone has something like this now pictures, or a link to an off the shelf product would be much appreciated. :D

Audio222
06-01-2009, 12:38 PM
I don't run any. If I bolted on every accessory I could get, my Jeep would be to heavy to move. If you have a need for one the by all means install one but remember it's only a six cylinder. Don't lose site of the over all picture, install only what you need. :)

_StationWagon_
06-01-2009, 01:48 PM
I have Rusty's engine skid, HD crossmember & t'fercase skids. They hold up well. Also added a stock gas tank skid after I almost took a chunk outta my tank 2 summers ago. AJ's rails, Rock Crusher rear & Riddler front diff skids. I'm thinking of getting Rusty's front skid too.

For the body, my new quarter panel armor is painted & ready to bolt on, and of course the Detours rear bumper should be here tomorrow.

My XJ is getting way too heavy. Might have to drop a V8 in there to haul all this beef :D . Saddle up!!

Audio222
06-01-2009, 02:12 PM
"My XJ is getting way too heavy. Might have to drop a V8 in there to haul all this beef . Saddle up!!"

Now that's what I'm talking about. The bigger the better.

_StationWagon_
06-01-2009, 02:42 PM
"My XJ is getting way too heavy. Might have to drop a V8 in there to haul all this beef . Saddle up!!"

Now that's what I'm talking about. The bigger the better.
However you did say "install only what you need". Let's count the carnage:
- My stock 8.25 diff cover got peeled back at Rausch in the rocks last summer.
- Like I said above, a big dent in my gas tank on the rocks. (Thank goodness it wasn't worse).
- Judging from the gouges in the other flat skids, they are doing their part.
- My previous Warn D30 skid, bashed, tweaked, gouged.
- My rear upper quarter panels ... pics would best tell the tale, and I won't mention that I've had to replace glass on both sides.
- The latest carnage? A bashed in driver side lower quarter panel. I don't even know when that happened. I'd say my armor is well needed, and I should have added it all sooner. Money well spent, weight I'm happy to haul around. If I want to "haul a$$", my Durango with the 360 does just fine.

Mudderoy
06-01-2009, 02:45 PM
The real problem is she used to drive a tank when she was in the service. :smiley-laughing021:

UKJeepThang
06-01-2009, 06:00 PM
I have AJ's SuperRails and T/C skid and Gas Tank skid from Skid Row.

Although the Skid Row T/C Skid does hang down lower than I'd like, I'm a big fan of Skid Row.

As for AJ, he's a god!!:D:D

BlueXJ
06-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Factory gas tank skid and transfer case skid. Rock rails have been removed in preperation for TnT frame stiffeners.
Since I have a 242 transfercase I had to alter the transfercase skid.

kmanxj
06-02-2009, 01:28 AM
i have none. The only protection i will probably get are rails. And a front diff guard, since i am not a rock guy.

muddeprived
06-02-2009, 06:32 AM
I have over 200 lbs worth of skids and getting more. Currently lookin for a gas tank skid.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/PIC-0110.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/PIC-0031.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/PIC-0038.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/PIC-0042.jpg

Mudderoy
06-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Very nice, thanks for the pictures.

lol, I have over 200 pounds in bumpers and tire carrier. I think the XJ is capable of moving a lot of weight.

2000XJ
06-02-2009, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't ever run without skids, they actually help not only keep your important parts from getting damaged, but also help you slide over stuff.

I have:
Rusty's Engine/Tranny skid (bent in the middle, as well as bent the skid's cross member)
Skid Row Tcase Skid (1.5" crack in it)
AJ's Heavy-Duty Rock Sliders (both of them are dented and scratched to hell)
JCR Stage 4 Bumper (Taken its share of hits and still in great shape)
Solid Diff Covers (look like new still)
Warn D30 Cover (Had it before the Solids, it did its job)
Nth Degree Diff Slider (Dana 44, Wow, it's protected my pinion and bottom of the driveshaft more times than I could count)
I previously had the Rock-It Dana 35 Glider and I actually broke it while wheeling when it took a good hit.

Yes I wheel with finesse, but when I go wheeling I'm not taking the easy line. If it wasn't for the armor I wouldn't be able to push the rig as much as I do.

All that I need is a gas tank skid - hopefully this summer.

muddeprived
06-02-2009, 10:47 PM
I wouldn't ever run without skids, they actually help not only keep your important parts from getting damaged, but also help you slide over stuff.

I have:
Rusty's Engine/Tranny skid (bent in the middle, as well as bent the skid's cross member)
Skid Row Tcase Skid (1.5" crack in it)
AJ's Heavy-Duty Rock Sliders (both of them are dented and scratched to hell)
JCR Stage 4 Bumper (Taken its share of hits and still in great shape)
Solid Diff Covers (look like new still)
Warn D30 Cover (Had it before the Solids, it did its job)
Nth Degree Diff Slider (Dana 44, Wow, it's protected my pinion and bottom of the driveshaft more times than I could count)
I previously had the Rock-It Dana 35 Glider and I actually broke it while wheeling when it took a good hit.

Yes I wheel with finesse, but when I go wheeling I'm not taking the easy line. If it wasn't for the armor I wouldn't be able to push the rig as much as I do.

All that I need is a gas tank skid - hopefully this summer.

What gas tank skid you aiming for? I'm thinking Tomkin from q-tec.

JG-Man
06-03-2009, 12:42 AM
I don't have any yet. I was thinking of starting with an OEM gas tank skid plate. Does anybody know if the ones that seem to have come standard on all the early ones will bolt up to my 2000 Sport that is bare bottomed?

Melissa
06-03-2009, 12:54 AM
After reading all the posts, I am guessing that the rubber pad up under the front of my jeep I have instead of a skid plate?

muddeprived
06-03-2009, 05:30 AM
I don't have any yet. I was thinking of starting with an OEM gas tank skid plate. Does anybody know if the ones that seem to have come standard on all the early ones will bolt up to my 2000 Sport that is bare bottomed?

I'm thinking it should.

UKJeepThang
06-03-2009, 07:02 AM
i have none. The only protection i will probably get are rails. And a front diff guard, since i am not a rock guy.

I would still get a T/C skid. We don't get a lot of rock trailing here in the UK but the T/C skid on mine has protected me a couple of times from submerged rocks and tree trunks in river beds when the water is dirty etc. A T/C skid will also help you slide over obstacles rather than using the transfer case to do so.

2000XJ
06-03-2009, 07:02 AM
All OEM XJ skid plates are interchangeable regardless of year.

Mudd - as for the gas tank skid, I was thinking about Skid Row, but I haven't made a decision yet. For the most part they're all similar in design and steel thickness, so it's going to be based mostly on price.

kmanxj
06-03-2009, 08:39 AM
I would still get a T/C skid. We don't get a lot of rock trailing here in the UK but the T/C skid on mine has protected me a couple of times from submerged rocks and tree trunks in river beds when the water is dirty etc. A T/C skid will also help you slide over obstacles rather than using the transfer case to do so.

true!!!!

now another question for all of you. So far anything steel on my jeep (just bumpers lol) i have built myself. Plan on building rails this summer.

anybody every build their own skid?

muddeprived
06-03-2009, 08:42 AM
true!!!!

now another question for all of you. So far anything steel on my jeep (just bumpers lol) i have built myself. Plan on building rails this summer.

anybody every build their own skid?

If i had the equipment, I would. It's VERY easy to make a skid. If you can cut steel and weld, you can make pretty much any skid plate for half the price they sell em for.

2000XJ
06-04-2009, 12:12 AM
x2 with what Mudd said. If I could I would. It's the best way to make a skid exactly the way you want, to cover what you want, and to keep it as tucked up and out of the way as you can make it.

Xtreme XJ
06-06-2009, 01:47 AM
Ta heck with the weight concerns... rocks and dirt don't give...

F & R difs. are Younger Bros.
T-Case is Desertbilly Fab. 1/4" thick.
Gas tank is O.E.
LCA skids are Desertbilly Fab. 3/16"

Still need engine & trans. skid... just haven't found what I want yet...
I've had the steel for the rockers for.... toooo long now... I'm just toooo lazy.

Curt

firehawk
06-06-2009, 08:56 AM
I have mounted up a factory front skid, like Mudd said mainly to keep water/mud out of the alternator. I have a stock TC skid that I have HEAVILY modified. I added an plate that extends out to completely protect the TC, and added another tab to the X-member end to add another bolt there, (three total). I also welded a plate to the frame end and it is attached with 4 bolts there. Can you say...beefy! I have a set of JKS LCA skids welded on, a set of rocker skids, and front and rear Riddler diff covers.

I never have gotten around to mounting the gas tank skid yet.:headbag:

quadracer0387
06-06-2009, 09:15 AM
ive always thought gas tank skids and rails were the most important, t-case next

muddeprived
06-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Thought this vid would be appropriate for this thread.

[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/2nd%20mud/th_DSCF6134.jpg[/IMG"]Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

JG-Man
06-07-2009, 02:03 AM
I'm kicking myself on the timing, but I passed up a new set of skid plates by a really good aftermarket co. for gas and transfer case by a local guy who scrapped his XJ project. They were never used and going for like 50% off of list on Craig's List but I needed tires and exhaust and wheel studs badly at the time!

Dirt Dogg Rydas
06-07-2009, 02:25 AM
I dont have anything yet but i would like a t-case skid to start.

Mudderoy
06-07-2009, 06:14 AM
Thought this vid would be appropriate for this thread.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/2nd%20mud/th_DSCF6134.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/2nd%20mud/?action=view&current=DSCF6134.flv)

I enjoyed this video (from your other post). All I can say is you have one very trusting girlfriend! :smiley-scared002:

muddeprived
06-07-2009, 07:34 AM
I enjoyed this video (from your other post). All I can say is you have one very trusting girlfriend! :smiley-scared002:

Wasn't so trusting the first time it was done....

[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/th_DSCF2461.jpg[/IMG"]Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

...but the results were worth it. It was her idea to do it with the xj. :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
06-07-2009, 07:41 AM
The XJ one was better. Cool idea. :thumbsup:

JG-Man
06-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Now I came across these brand new skid plates, which seem like they protect a part that's not so easily broken no? Local on Craig's List. N.NJ/S.NY

Skidrow LCA Skid Plates, New complete with Installation Hardware Cost New with shipping $145 sell for $75
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/badzook/Picture045.jpg
I inserted the pic but I don't see it posted. He says they will fit Basically any Jeep with a dana 30 High or low pinion.
& Was purchased for a Cherokee 1996-2001.

_StationWagon_
06-09-2009, 01:18 PM
I have LCA skids too, but the JKS weld-on ones. You'd be surprised how the LCA brackets crumple whn you come down hard on them. It's a worthy mod, but only if you do rocks, I guess.

BudgetXJ
06-09-2009, 04:38 PM
I just put a factory t-case skid on for now. I have nothing else as far as protection goes but reading through this thread has certainly given me some ideas. Thanks.

TeXJ
06-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Rusty's Tcase skid
DPG Gas tank skid
Sliders from guy in the jeep club.
I have the weld on LCA skids too, from a 4x4 shop down here, i just need to put them on.

Xtreme XJ
06-10-2009, 12:28 AM
3" X 3/16th. strap with a bend makes for some low cost weld on LCA mount skids... lay it across from one side to the other wrap under a bit & weld on.
I bent and ran mine back 1.0" to 1.5" to protect the underside a bit... I run heims which aren't as big as some of other ends... cheap & strong...

Curt