PDA

View Full Version : Avira antivirus

Tural
01-10-2011, 03:30 PM
I used Avira in my laptop, and the dang thing would heat up non stop. the cpu usage stayed at minimum 27%. it got to the point that i thought i had overloaded my laptop. well, yesterday i removed it with great pain, and installed the AVG. things went back to normal and now my cpu usage stays in low single digits. overheating is gone. just a heads up for people considering avira. i actually had to do a system restore twice, because the doggone avira didn't wanna come off my laptop. i had to restore it to a day before avira update and then remove it.

Mudderoy
01-10-2011, 03:45 PM
I used Avira in my laptop, and the dang thing would heat up non stop. the cpu usage stayed at minimum 27%. it got to the point that i thought i had overloaded my laptop. well, yesterday i removed it with great pain, and installed the AVG. things went back to normal and now my cpu usage stays in low single digits. overheating is gone. just a heads up for people considering avira. i actually had to do a system restore twice, because the doggone avira didn't wanna come off my laptop. i had to restore it to a day before avira update and then remove it.

I recently switched from AVG (after about 10 years!) to Microsoft Essentials.

Tural
01-10-2011, 03:52 PM
I recently switched from AVG (after about 10 years!) to Microsoft Essentials.

does it use less memory? and does it pre-scan the downloads?

Weldmen
01-10-2011, 04:26 PM
I use Microsoft Security Essentials also. Its free to download and yes it pre scans all incoming and out going files.
And Barley 2% of the CPU
:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
01-10-2011, 04:49 PM
CPU usage will be dependent on how fast your memory and disk are relative to the speed of your processor. I have a quad core that does nothing most of the time. Memory and disk I/O are the bottleneck on my system.

HokieAirman
01-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Funny, I just switched FROM AVG TO Avira for the same reason...Still in the test phase though...