PDA

View Full Version : Lug Nuts seized!!

Voldemort
05-31-2009, 08:37 PM
I do not know if I posted on this site about my rear lugs but if not I had 6 rear lugs seized on the red jeep. Five on one side one on the other. So to make a long story short I got a tool to take the lugs off and was able to get four on th one side off but one on each side were not coming off so today I got pissed and did this.
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/bigbadxj/lug1.jpg
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/bigbadxj/lug.jpg
Torched them and beat the wheels off from the back with a sledge!:sniper::chuck::woot::beavis::smiley-taunt002::gitrdun:

Mudderoy
05-31-2009, 08:50 PM
Sometimes being large and able to do such things isn't the best course of action. Ask me how I know. :rotfl2:

firehawk
05-31-2009, 09:12 PM
Are they the stock lugnuts? if so you might try to knock off the stainless "cover", or just drill a hole big enough to get the spray tube on the can in and soak them with PB Blaster. A propane, or Mappgas torch might provide enough heat to help.

I know what your dealing with. I sold a woman where I used to work with the stock wheels, and a set of AT's off of my XJ since she needed new tires on her ZJ. I had to torch one lugnut, and as you can imagine ruined the stud too. I told her it was the only way, and she was ok with it. I hated doing it, but had to since some moron had APE ARMED the nuts on.

xjjeepthing
05-31-2009, 09:16 PM
Use some antisieze when you put new ones on. Never put an XJ back togther without it

firehawk
05-31-2009, 09:18 PM
Use some antisieze when you put new ones on. Never put an XJ back togther without it

Truer words where never written!!:D

XJrob
05-31-2009, 09:41 PM
seized lug nuts suck. when i put the the first lift on mine, i think i spent more time getting the one lug nut off then actually putting the lift on...

muddeprived
06-01-2009, 01:47 AM
A 300 lb impact gun is your friend :) I had this problem on my 2000 dakota a couple years ago. What a bitch it was. I managed to cut or heat off three of the four and then my buddy brought his impact over and it came off like butter. :mad0090:

BlueXJ
06-01-2009, 06:54 AM
Yeah what mudd said. I have a 3/4 ' drive impact and that will remove just about any nut. Try some of mudds penetrating oil too. Stuff is great. http://www.kanolabs.com/google/

Voldemort
06-01-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm sorry I had already had this problem for a long time and I got what looks like a big easy-out socket and it griped them so I could break them loose but one on each side would not come off I used a air hammer a 1/2" drill with a cobalt bit and it was taking forever. So I got out the old torch and blasted those bastards for about two mins then one good hard hit from the rear and it flew off. The pic is of the one lug nut that had enough left to know that it was a lug nut.

2000XJ
06-03-2009, 07:11 AM
Reminds me that I still haven't gotten to this little problem on my XJ.... I guess I've just been delaying the inevitable.

Voldemort
06-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Yea I also had a few stubborn ones on the front but with some 12 point chrome-moly impact sockets, a 10lb sledge, and a 24" breaker bar I was able to get those off. The ones one the rear just fell apart when i did that to them that is why I had to use the torch.