PDA

View Full Version : Do we really need this t-case spring?

muddeprived
05-30-2009, 02:47 PM
there's a spring that goes on the shift fork in the tcase that happened to roll away on the floor and my buddy and I didnt see it when we reinstalled everything. is it mandatory to tear it all down again and install that spring asap? or can it wait?

thanks

N1TZU
05-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Hello muddeprived, Is it the spring that is around the shift rod in the transfer case that you are talking about? If so, I would not take the chance if it were my xj. It may be a pain to take it all apart again, But thats the fun of doing all the mods we do to our rides. Bob....

muddeprived
05-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Hello muddeprived, Is it the spring that is around the shift rod in the transfer case that you are talking about? If so, I would not take the chance if it were my xj. It may be a pain to take it all apart again, But thats the fun of doing all the mods we do to our rides. Bob....

Yeah that spring. It shifts into 4lo and 4hi fine but we think it may be stuck in 4hi when we put it in 2-hi. The front yoke still spins. We left the front shaft off for now. We're gonna wait till the rtv dries before taking it apart cuz it's easier to clean off dry than wet.

Mudderoy
05-30-2009, 03:30 PM
It's good to have hobbies and friends. :D

N1TZU
05-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Hello Mudderoy, and muddeprived, That is what will happen without that spring... Sorry, I know what it is like taking it all apart..but it is best you do... Take care..Bob....

BlueXJ
05-31-2009, 02:04 AM
Bob is right mudd. You need that spring to help slide the yoke that shifts from 2 to 4 WD and back again. Just feel lucky you caught the error.