PDA

View Full Version : xjtalk webpage load times?

muddeprived
05-28-2009, 10:00 AM
I've noticed it takes about 30 seconds for my pc to load xjtalk.com. There's always a long pause before the page is loaded. All the other forums load instantly. What's different about this forum that takes a longer time to load?

Am I the only one that has to take a nap until the forum pops up?

Mudderoy
05-28-2009, 10:08 AM
I'll look into it. I suspect that the shear number of users accessing the board is slowing down load times. Have you noticed a difference depending on what time you are trying to access the board?

Does it happen the first time you access then after that the load times are quicker?

Do you see part of the site then it pauses, or nothing for 30 seconds then it pops up?

Thanks for reporting this, as it is very important to me to have the board a peppy as possible.

muddeprived
05-28-2009, 10:23 AM
I'll look into it. I suspect that the shear number of users accessing the board is slowing down load times. Have you noticed a difference depending on what time you are trying to access the board?

Does it happen the first time you access then after that the load times are quicker?

Do you see part of the site then it pauses, or nothing for 30 seconds then it pops up?

Thanks for reporting this, as it is very important to me to have the board a peppy as possible.

it's a little faster after loading the page the first time.

The page loads from the top down.

it doesn't seem to matter what time of the day.

Mudderoy
05-28-2009, 10:39 AM
I just made several changes. See if it helped, or hurt the situation.

Mudderoy
05-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Ok I think I see what it was. Someone "bots" were slamming the site. There were 15 guests accessing the site from the same class c subnet. I put a filter in on the firewall to drop their network requests.

I'm not sure if this is the whole issue you are reporting but certainly would be the cause for any network slow down this morning.

ol"blue
05-28-2009, 04:03 PM
I just logged on a few minutes ago and it's super slow. This site, before, was somewhat slower than other forums that I visit but it was acceptable. Earlier today I was on here and posted a comment in the Motivational Posters thread and when I pressed the submit button it showed "Connection Lost". I used the back button several times to get the page back and to get the post to submit, which it finally did. You can see the time on the post. When I tried to switch to another thread it did the same thing. It was seemingly frozen. I logged off and went to another site with no problems. I was thinking that it had something to do with the comment that I had posted. Anyway, I'm letting you know it's still in caterpillar mode. :coffee:

Mudderoy
05-28-2009, 04:46 PM
lol, not to worry about any comments you make. Worse case is the post with be deleted, and you'll get a PM from someone before any rash actions are taken.

I'm really sorry the load times are so bad. I'm watching it, but it is hard for me to test connections from remote locations. I tried it from work, but I'm still local to my server. There always could be a network issue coming into the houston area.

Please keep the reports comming and also if it improves.

At this point I don't want to throw in any more changes on the outside chance it is something I don't have control over.

BlueXJ
05-28-2009, 05:44 PM
I experienced similar problems this afternoon. It seem fine right now but about 1-2 hours ago it would time out and go to my screensaver before the site would load and the screensaver is timed at 20 min.

muddeprived
05-28-2009, 07:56 PM
It seems to load faster now. :)

BlueXJ
05-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Maybe you cured it Muddy.

Melissa
05-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Much faster this time to load the forums page, earlier it took no kidding 45 to load and even then it said done but with errors on page. Just now it took about 3 mintues to load, faster, but still not a fast as it was loading for me before.

Mudderoy
05-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Well it was pretty slow from work yesterday. If it is any indication it is nearly instant today (from work).

Melissa
05-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Well it was pretty slow from work yesterday. If it is any indication it is nearly instant today (from work).

Excellent today nearly instant for me as well :cheerleader:

ol"blue
05-31-2009, 09:20 AM
It's back to normal right now. You did good.:smiley-gen165::coffee:

DETOURS
06-04-2009, 09:19 PM
If it's Muddy.......is it cured?

Still seeing some slowness out this way, my opinion is you have alot loading each & everytime, I've collasped as much as possible........totally useable, but still seems to have a lag within my tin cans........;)

Mudderoy
06-04-2009, 09:52 PM
I collapsed the chat window by default. If you notice where it hangs let me know. I can reduce the number of album pictures from 5 to 4.

Melissa
06-05-2009, 02:28 AM
Mine is loading great

It was slow a few hours ago, but I had a HUGE thunder storm roll in and I think thats why it was slow then

Mudderoy
06-11-2009, 09:32 AM
I've made a few more modifications. I am accessing the website through work's Internet (for a change) and the load times appear to be very good.

Please keep letting me know how the access is. Good or bad. Page load times would be very helpful. 1 second, 45 miutes, etc...

ol"blue
06-11-2009, 10:47 AM
11:45 AM my time, load time about 5 seconds. Not bad.

Mudderoy
06-25-2009, 09:02 AM
The bandwidth was increased about a week ago. Has anyone noticed any improvements in page loading in the last week?

Melissa
06-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Yes, Mine is loading extremely fast, fastest I have seen it load, right about 3 sec to fully load a page :thumbsup:

Did not know my poor old computer could run so fast, might have to keep it around for awhile longer :smiley-laughing021:

muddeprived
06-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Mine's so fast right now that it made me cut my loading-and-waiting nap times in half! I'm disappointed but at the same time glad it's loading this fast. :cheerleader:

ol"blue
06-25-2009, 10:23 AM
It's doing better than ever. Nearly as fast as the larger, more established sites.:thanx:

Mudderoy
06-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Excellent news, thanks. $15 extra a month. ;)

Melissa
06-25-2009, 10:18 PM
If they will let you pay in Beef, I might be able to help you out with that :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
06-26-2009, 09:15 AM
No that wasn't the intent of me mentioning the money. Just keep clicking those adsense ads! ;)

COSXJFAN
09-28-2009, 08:51 AM
It is considerably slower than other boards, even the other small ones I'm on. There is always a pause between page loads for me, and always has been, regardless of where I access the site from. This is the only board that I'm on that acts like this. It takes longer from home than it does from work, but my home PC is a dinosaur!! LOL!! I was going to start a thread to ask about this issue, but found this one, so here ya go...

Mudderoy
09-28-2009, 08:59 AM
It is considerably slower than other boards, even the other small ones I'm on. There is always a pause between page loads for me, and always has been, regardless of where I access the site from. This is the only board that I'm on that acts like this. It takes longer from home than it does from work, but my home PC is a dinosaur!! LOL!! I was going to start a thread to ask about this issue, but found this one, so here ya go...

The server is one I built out of spare desktop parts. It is mounted in a rack in the closet of my home office. I have DSL 6mb down and 768k up. My plan is as the board grows, and I get more ad revenue to move it to a commercial site. The board has grown, but the ad revenue hasn't.

I could boost the performance of the server, but I really think the bottle neck is the Internet connection. I'm very sorry, pretty much a poor boy situation. Thanks for letting me know.

Everyone continue to let me know so I can make sure it isn't something else that I can fix.

COSXJFAN
09-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Right on, and I completely understand being a poor boy!! We are all poor, we have Jeeps!! LOL!! Thanks for the explanation!!

4.3LXJ
09-28-2009, 11:54 AM
I haven't had any trouble.

ol"blue
09-28-2009, 12:02 PM
It's probably worse when lots of people are logged on. I know sometimes it's so slow I just log off after it refuses to co-operate.

Mudderoy
09-28-2009, 12:04 PM
It's probably worse when lots of people are logged on. I know sometimes it's so slow I just log off after it refuses to co-operate.

It would be helpful to me if I knew when those times are.

ol"blue
09-28-2009, 12:17 PM
The next time it happens I'll try and post it in this thread.

COSXJFAN
09-28-2009, 12:46 PM
I haven't had any trouble.

So XJT loads as fast for you as CF does?? Because I notice about a 7 second lag time between page loads, sometimes longer, that I do not experience on any of the other boards that I frequent.

ol"blue
09-28-2009, 01:06 PM
So XJT loads as fast for you as CF does?? Because I notice about a 7 second lag time between page loads, sometimes longer, that I do not experience on any of the other boards that I frequent.

Right now it's only about 3 seconds on this thread, some threads 10 seconds. At times it has been as long as 30 seconds, or I may get that failed page popping up. I just log off when that happens.

Mudderoy
09-28-2009, 01:11 PM
The next time it happens I'll try and post it in this thread.

Or just jot down the date and time. I know how frustrating it can be to wait on a web page to load.

ol"blue
09-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Or just jot down the date and time. I know how frustrating it can be to wait on a web page to load.

I'll try and do that. It's not that it's frustrating, it's just that this computer turns itself off if there is no activity in a certain amount of time. She set it up that way to save energy and I can't change it..:(

Mudderoy
09-28-2009, 01:53 PM
I'll try and do that. It's not that it's frustrating, it's just that this computer turns itself off if there is no activity in a certain amount of time. She set it up that way to save energy and I can't change it..:(

Right click on the desktop, empty area...

Little menu comes up, click on "Properties"

Click on the "Screen Saver" tab

Click on the "Power Setting" button.

On the "Power Schemes" tab Select Never for "Turn off hard disks:" "System Standby:" and "System hibernates", or simply increase these to longer durations.

If you are on a laptop you may have additional choices.

ol"blue
09-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks a lot!:thumbsup:
Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

cj4a nz
02-03-2011, 02:47 AM
sometimes the site wont open for me to browse have been bout this time of nite
been putting down to our sloooooow internet speed here in old nz
thanks in advance
Warren

muddeprived
02-03-2011, 10:58 AM
You aren't alone. The past two or three days has been a struggle to get on the site and do anything. It was just SLOOOOOOOOW. But now it seems to be back to normal.